Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mike83

accutane with old cyst ...scar ?

Hey all, I am new here and have a question. I had a cyst that raised up like a bump on tip of my noise. I am taking accutane and it seems to make it bigger and more red. Should I stop taking accutane if I want it to cure the cyst ? Or will accutane heal the cyst over time??

Thanks,

Mike - Canada

Accutane might might the cyst inflame again. Go with it, Accutane will help it greatily in the long run. I had a scar on my nose (where it meet my cheek) from an old cyst. The scar must have been there for at least 4 years, Accutane is making it almost normal (it'll never be normal again).

Is it under the skin or is it slowly coming on top of the skin.

For any swelling or large cyst under the skin, get a Kenalog shot from u r derm. It removes swelling like crazy.

Under the skin. So get the kenalog shot, not the cortisone shot? I had 3 coritsone shots and it keep raising up back. Derm said Accutane doesn't cure old cysts, but prevent new ones. That's why I'm planning to stop taking accutane ( been on it 1 month, making old cyst much worst than b4 ). Just don't know if stopping accutane is a good idea.

Under the skin. So get the kenalog shot, not the cortisone shot? I had 3 coritsone shots and it keep raising up back. Derm said Accutane doesn't cure old cysts, but prevent new ones. That's why I'm planning to stop taking accutane ( been on it 1 month, making old cyst much worst than b4 ). Just don't know if stopping accutane is a good idea.

few questions.. is your health insurance covering all of this? are you doing the 5 month course of accutane? btw, i have heard of a cortisone shot but have never heard of kenalog, what is that? thanks.

acuttane will help you out , are u sure u want to stop whit the treatment ?

remember , the first month on acu is the hardest because the initial breakout

Kenalog IS cortisine. And he is right about accutane not curing old cysts. I have some really really bad ones and they're not disapearing or changing at all... 3 months almost :S

^ That doesn't happen often. Try another shot. Maybe the doc didnt do it right

last thing you want to do is get multiple shots in the same area. trust me i know. they will eventually fill up again if you get a shot, only get it if you DESPERATELY need it to be gone in like 2 days. otherwise dont do it for goodness sake itll just make it worse in the long run. oh yea and it makes them scar and cause indntations so much easier than just leaving it alone.

also, you want to quit accutane after only 1 month in ? why ? accutane usually takes like over 5 months to do its job. the 1st month is always the hardest just stick with it it will make your skin much better in the end. you may also want to ask about a penicillin like Amoxicillin because it makes less inflamation my doc just gave me it and it seems to be taking away my initial breakout, im in month 2.