Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Willow3

Wht do I pick at my skin???!!!!

My chest was almost clear, and I was so close to being able to wear all my old clothes again.... but then I had to go pick at my skin, and eight or nine almost invisible whitheads turned into huge pussy red bumps! I am so mad at myself, I have so little self control when it comes to picking at my skin, I feel so weak that I can't resist.

Why do girls clothes have to be so skimpy anyway? It is so hard to find shirts and dresses that cover my chest and back. I work out alot, so all my friends think I have this great body, and can't understand why I cover it up all the time.... if only they knew.

I hate my body acne a hundred times more than my facial acne. I don't even wear make-up to cover my face, yet I religously wear clothes that cover my chest/ back.

Any advice on how to stop picking at pimples would be appreciated.

Id love to have chest/body acne rather than facial....

anuwau my advice is to think of somthing else or think of the consequences...???????

Cut your nails to the quick. Wear a rubber band on your wrist and every time you find yourself picking, snap the band and say NO! You can say no mentally if you don't want everyone to think that you're crazy. Eventually you won't need the rubber band and can just mentally correct yourself.

You can use this method to change all sorts of behaviors that you don't like.

Take a picture (if you have a digital camera) of your skin after you have picked at it and print it off on your own computer. Write a letter to yourself about how you feel after you have made a mess of your skin and fold it up and put it with this picture. When you feel the urge to pick or you start, take out the letter and read it and look at the picture. Maybe by both seeing and hearing how you feel after you do it, you could be motivated to stop.

Cut your nails to the quick. Wear a rubber band on your wrist and every time you find yourself picking, snap the band and say NO! You can say no mentally if you don't want everyone to think that you're crazy. Eventually you won't need the rubber band and can just mentally correct yourself.

You can use this method to change all sorts of behaviors that you don't like.

lol im going to try that, im not cutting my nails back though, but the rubber band thing sounds good, may try it for quitting smoking to

Thanks for the help.

I'm cutting my nails right down, and am going to wear the elastic anytime I'm near a mirror. I don't have a camera, but I'm aslo going to write a note to myself about how picking makes things worse!

Has anyone ever taken down mirrors to stop themselves from obsessing about theri skin? I did awhile ago and it has helped alot. Obviously I left up the bathroom mirrors, but no more mirrors in my room.

but the rubber band thing sounds good, may try it for quitting smoking to

It probably won't work as well for that since there is a physical dependency involved, but give it a try. It's very effective for basic bad habits like nailbiting, picking, hair chewing, and even things like negative self-talk.

Sit on the hand you're not using, this way you'll not be tempted to touch or pick at your skin.

Rather use a clean disinfected needle to pop whiteheads (keep it closeby). Dip the needle in the antiseptic cream or lotion or whatever and poke at the zit, it will pop without coming back as red bumps and will give you the same satisfaction with a little bit of tingle from the antiseptic stuff.

So I know why my skin is reacting so badly to picking...the tretinoin is making my skin more sensitive. I have been so shocked at the huge red marks left after. This is why it is damaged so easily. Cutting nails to the quick really does help. Thanks all for the advice! I've been very good so far...

Willow3 - I'm EXACTLY the same. Just picked last night now I'm really depressed. :cry: Have been 60% "good" for 4 WEEKS.....now I can't wear any of my clothes again. I feel like I have to wait another 4 weeks just to get back to where I was.

I find myself picking without even realising I'm doing it. It is so frustrating.

If you can't control yourself from inflicting self bodily damage, then seek professional help....yes it's tempting...but i wouldn't say i can't stop doing it. You just need to tell yourself, no matter what you think now, you'll be FAR better off not even touching it.