Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tommy_boi

What are they

Salicylic acid is the key additive in many skin-care products for the treatment of acne. It treats acne by causing skin cells to slough off more readily, preventing pores from clogging up.

Well i've been using my cleanser which has salicylic acid in it for probably a month now, but still gets spots and sometimes cysts, but i have noticed less spots and cysts since using this new cleanser, why is it i still get these though if salicylic acid doesn't allow pores to get clogged, or is it because i've not been using it long enough, or maybe because i wash my face once a day, and not twice like it says, also whats citric acid then.?

salicylic acid needs to be at 2% strength, and the correct ph in order to be effective, most otc products don't have the right ph or strength to do any good. And even then, it can't get deep, tough plugs. It's effective for the more shallow, small plugs, and can take about 3 months to get those.

citric acid: http://www.encyclopedia.com/html/c1/citrc-ac.asp

it seems to me it's added to keep products fresh, sortof as a preservative.

Well the product i use has definitely helped my spots and cysts, i dont get so many anymore, just still get the odd ones, i think the salicylic acid is 2%, but it doesn't say on the bottle, i know its good stuff i use anyways, people swear by it on these forums.