Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tj101

Does having a fat face make scars more or less noticeable?

So what do you think? Now that I think about it, I don't think I have seen a significantly overweight person with pitted scars, but then again, I rarely go out so I can't tell for sure.

I've read a couple of posts here of people saying that the extra fat in their faces makes scars look worse.

I have a skinny build, but I do have some extra fat on my face. You think if I lost it my scars would be more or less noticeable?

Thanks.

fat people have scars for sure. everyone does. i think losing weight makes the scars more noticeable. think about it: with all the post about fillers, etc, although fat isn't the same as a filler, it's going to give you more volume in your face which will in effect minimize some type of scarring.

the fillers fill the scar though dont they? fat isnt going to fill the scar so itll be the same depth.

the fillers fill the scar though dont they? fat isnt going to fill the scar so itll be the same depth.

what he ment was that if u have a fat face ur skin is mre streched out and the the scars r less noticible

You guys are thinking of it wrong.. when I gained weight I saw them more because u can see more fat loss where the scars are..

what does this mean? you gained weight but you can see more fat loss where the scars are? that makes no sense.

also, fillers don't fill the scars to my knowledge. they plump up the skin underneath thereby making the depressed skin of the scar more even with the rest of the skin.

I'm not sure, but I think he[blueeyesurfer] meant that your scars don't get any fat only the rest of your face, therefore they look more sunken. Makes sense...anyone else agree?

Hope this is true, as I'm already starting to lose the extra fat on my face. So far I see no difference in the appearance of scars.

My mother has a "fat" face (sorry Mom) and her scars are VERY noticable. Of course, she has been fat all my life, so I have nothing to compare it to other than my scars which are not as noticable on my "normal" face, but also not as bad.

Does not make a difference one way or another. Plus who would want to get fat to make scars look slightly less noticable?

Does not make a difference one way or another. Plus who would want to get fat to make scars look slightly less noticable?

true but nobody was advocating getting fat to lose scars. he was worried about losing weight.

from personal experience i can tell you losing weight makes them far more noticeable. i thought this myself, and confirmed it with a doctor. i still wouldn't trade the weightloss though.

Thank you all for the info. I still haven't made up my mind yet.

I'm not fat at all, I have a skinny build and just happen to have accumulated some extra fat on my face and under my chin. I guess from not working out and practically doing nothing for about 5 years.

I started working out again beginning this year as I don't really like having a fat face. But then I started wondering about the effects losing the extra fat would have on my scars. I guess I'd rather have my face a little fatter than my scars more noticeable.

I think I have mostly rolling scars on cheeks(on the cheekbone area) and right temple; a few boxcars, and probably 1 or 2 or icepicks.

So I still need a few more opinions to decide.

Ok if your face is fat.. the depressed parts will look more sunken in because the surrounding areas will have plumbed up.. I didn't even notice scars until I gained weight.. Also you will have fat loss in those areas since they depressed..

Ok if your face is fat.. the depressed parts will look more sunken in because the surrounding areas will have plumbed up.. I didn't even notice scars until I gained weight.. Also you will have fat loss in those areas since they depressed..

Surfer Guy is correct.

So what do you think? Now that I think about it, I don't think I have seen a significantly overweight person with pitted scars, but then again, I rarely go out so I can't tell for sure.

I've read a couple of posts here of people saying that the extra fat in their faces makes scars look worse.

I have a skinny build, but I do have some extra fat on my face. You think if I lost it my scars would be more or less noticeable?

Thanks.

actually. i have seen quite a lot. i know that this one overweight guy in my bio class had pitted scars... so i don't know about the fat face theory. i could be wrong. but i just knew some heavier people with visible scars.

i think it depends on the type of scarring. ice picks are going to look worse perhaps but rolling scars will look better if the skin below is plumped up.

Exacty! It depends on the type of the scar, mainly how deep the scar tissue goes in the skin.

Shallow scaring does not go all the way to the fat tissue, so having more fat under the dermis may help to make the scar less noticeable. But deep scars will look worse because getting more fat in the area means the fat goes around the scar and fibrous tissues which is holding the skin indented, so it will go even more indented - the doughnut effect. Once again the effects and treatments are totally different if one has shallow or severe scarring. Maybe there really should be a separate forum for those with deep scars.

After subscission it all may change. A good question is, should one get more or less fat in a face before the subscission to maximize the fixing effect?

This is an old topic but it is interesting...

I'm trying to lose weight (I already lost 8 pounds) but I will see what happens once I lose 20-30 pounds. I gained most of those pounds after my major breakout and accutane. Got so depressed about my self image that I stopped exercising. The good thing is that I don't get acne anymore, b/c of accutane. All the answers are so different that I will take pictures and see what happens.

Anyways I'm tired of my fat face, it makes me look ugly.