Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tj101

Is bad skin hereditary?

...just wondering. I've heard many times it is determined by genetics, but no one in my family has fk'd up skin like mine. :cry:

Mine certainly was. One of my aunts and uncles had bad skin but none as bad as mine. It wasn't environment, health, diet, etc. so heredity was my only consideration.

I don't know of anyone in my family that has ever battled acne/scarring. I guess I was the unlucky one. Son of a bitch.

YES IT IS

My grandpa at 70 still gets acne. My mom at 42 STILL gets acne. My cousins on my moms side have acne. Most of my grandpa's brothers have scarring from acne.

Im next. Thats why im going on accutane.

Not in my case at all. My Brother who is one yr younger than me has never had acne. my two older sisters and mom and dad also have perfect skin. Go figure.

My mother has always had very bad acne and horrific scarring. Evidentally her father (my grandfather) did as well. Mine is nowhere near as bad as my mother's thankfully. I'm hoping that the gene or whatever that makes one more susceptible to it weakens over time. I pray that my sons' have their father's skin. :pray:

unfortunately yes. my brother has it, sis get mild acne and dad use have it too. mine and sis started when we both went to uni in our second yr, maybe the stress triggered the acne gene (if there is one !!! or something else) to express itself on my clear skin, which is now scarred. i never leave the house without make up, i hate going to the gym and prefer going when its not busy.

yes. people do stare, well i think they do, and i always look at peoples skin and, try to estimate the prevlence of acne. i am obessed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Damn,...well at least you know where your bad skin comes from.

No one in family has f'ed up skin like mine, not parents, not my sister, not my grandparents, aunts, uncles or any other relative I know...maybe I'm adopted :P

Actually, I use to have relatively nice skin, I only had very mild acne, then when I was 18 for some reason I started getting moderate to severe acne for about 4 months. Then it went away, but it left me f'ng ugly pitted scars.

My DAD and my sister.. both still have active acne.. sister is 38 and my dad is 62... and he has the most severe back scarring I have ever seen.. I get nodules and cysts on my back but retin-A has been making them heal nicely so they don't scar...