Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
a529612

Coffee ultimate acne magnet?

Coffee ALWAYS breaks me out.

And I'm not talking, frappaccinos, or mochas or any of that sugary shit.

Just plain black coffee....time and time again breaks me out.

In fact, green tea does as well, because it has CAFFEINE.

So for the people in this thread saying "Oh it must be the sugar in the cofee" etc etc. NO.

And also *EnlightenMe* -

DECAFF coffees and teas do contain CAFFEINE even if they say decaff. They contain a considerable amount less that normal coffee (about 1/5-1/8 the amount of caffeine depending on brand) but they still have it. That is why some people say they have breakouts even from decaff drinks.

Coffee ALWAYS breaks me out.

And I'm not talking, frappaccinos, or mochas or any of that sugary shit.

Just plain black coffee....time and time again breaks me out.

In fact, green tea does as well, because it has CAFFEINE.

So for the people in this thread saying "Oh it must be the sugar in the cofee" etc etc. NO.

And also *EnlightenMe* -

DECAFF coffees and teas do contain CAFFEINE even if they say decaff. They contain a considerable amount less that normal coffee (about 1/5-1/8 the amount of caffeine depending on brand) but they still have it. That is why some people say they have breakouts even from decaff drinks.

Damn, that sucks! LOL. I really don't know if coffee is breaking me out. I've just recently decided to give up dairy and even my chocolate I'll eat once in awhile. I've also began taking Zinc, Fish Oil and vitamin C. I'll start Dan's products probably next week. I hope this does it once an for all.:confused:

Thanks for responding back! :angel:

Coffee absolutely causes acne breakouts...well caffeinated anyway and it's for some people not all.

For me, it definitely did. For other's it doesn't. However, it has a negative impact on skin any way you look at it, it's just in some people, it doesn't surface in the form of zits.

Coffee has a high amount of caffeine (as do many sodas, chocolate, etc..). Caffeine causes the increases release of cortisol, which is the stress hormone and cause sebacious glands to become overactive. I actually just studied this in my college physiology class and someone had asked if coffee was related to acne breakouts and the professor said "not coffee exactly, the caffeine yes."

This is why stress is related to acne breakouts as well...caffeine and stress cause the release of the same exact contributor to acne...caffeine. It's just that under stress, your body is subjected to a prolonged release of cortisol so it has a greater effect than caffeine in general.

This made complete sense to me. I would always breakout before a big exam. Come to think about it as well, I started breaking out when I started drinking coffee 1-2 times a day (big caffeinated cups). However, I have to wonder about how much it causes acne. I am breaking out currently badly and haven't had much caffeine. But then again, when I do drink coffee, my acne gets a lot more inflamed.

Expirationdate, great post about the coffee/cortisol connection. I've also heard that weightlifting increases cortisol production, especially long sessions. So I'm wondering if that's why sometimes you see weightlifters on this board complain that they're getting breakouts after working out. In addition, I know that glutamine can lower cortisol. Wonder if anyone tried this after lifting or drinking coffee?

I tell you, caffeine is not the trigger for me but coffee does make it worse, even straight black.

Unless Caf. free diet coke really has caf, it is something else. Black tea does not cause it from what I can see.

So I am thinking caramel color which is in the coffee from roasting or some change in acid level could be the reason but from all my tests, it does not seem to be caffeine related.

i was, at one point, back a few months ago, going to starbucks every day after school, to avoid going home and staring in mirrors.

a venti double shot a day was only making my skin worse/:

The thing about coffee, for me, is that it makes me incredibly hyper. This causes me to over react and generally freak out over pretty much anything. This state of mind makes me forget about how important a good diet is for acne, and also the importance of not picking or touching my face. After I drink coffee, I am more likely to eat something I know I shouldn't, and more likely to touch my face. I usually go for something sugary, so that plus any redness on my face from aggrevating it makes my acne look worse. It is not from the coffee directly, but due to freaking out. If I were to read a book, stick to my diet and take a nap afterwards, coffee doesn't cause all these problems. Try it for yourself. Things like added dairy or sugar can DIRECTLY cause acne, so this is another reason why caffeine/coffee gets a bad rap.

Dairy and Sugar do not have this effect on me, coffee, decaf or not, soda sugar free and caffiene free, creates a break out in cystic form for me.

I am ont saying caffeine is not a problem for some but I am pretty close to ruling it out since I have tested on other BROWN LIQUIDS and even WITHOUT SUGAR/ DAIRY/ Caffeine I still get a reaction.

Sorry but I even cut out milk for months and still broke out. I have sugar in my tea in one form or an other and DO NOT see break outs. However go to some coffee or brown soda and a few days later WHAM!

So it has nothing to do with dairy and sugar since I ruled those out by testing. I even found a soda that did not have sugar caffeine OR PHOSPHORIC ACID which is the other rumor . That would be creme soda by one maker and yes, I still broke out. SOme commerical ice teas as well. WEHen I go back and look at the label what do I see? added or natural CARMEL COLOR!

Im sorry, but just because some of you don't break out from it, doesn't mean coffee is okay for everyone. I drank a lot of coffee for two days straight, and it resulted in the worst break out I've had in months. I used no sugar or cream, or even artificial sugar.

I looked into it, and found out that caffeine raises stress levels (cortisol) which...obviously in NOT good for the skin.

Please stop defending coffee, IDK maybe a little is okay for some people, but CAFFEINE is not good for your skin, and my f*cking face is a testament to that.

Decaffeinated coffee still contains caffeine, but it's a much smaller amount than a regular cup of coffee. Just thought I'd throw that into the coffee debate going on here.

I very recently tried going almost 3 weeks without coffee. It didn't do anything for me. When I started drinking it again I didn't break out. Now I'm having like 4 cups a day again like usual and no difference. Wee!

Meh, I'm finally clearing up and I still have my daily 1-2 cups of strong, black coffee, and I also have lots of tea throughout the day (along with water, of course). It doesn't seem to inhibit my skin at all. ;)

All it takes is one cup of coffee for it to affect me. My hands will start sweating within a minute or two, and the oil glands go into overdrive and then I start breaking out soon after. I'm a good test case, because I have a very acute reaction to caffeine.

You're transforming the discussion into something like "is coffee healthy or not ?" which was not the initial debate.

The question should be "Can coffee worsen acne ?"

The answer is, according to my nutritionist, definately Yes. If I look my own experience, the only time of my life when I had a clear skin was when I never drank any coffee.

The problem is Caffeine. The coffee caffeine is fastly assimilated, much faster than the tea for instance.

It can causes an excessive sebum production, hormones production, excitation, etc... for some people. Some other don't have the same effects...

Just try to stop coffee for 2 3 weeks you will see...

:clap:

A voice of reason. Absolutely agree. For me, ANY caffeine (even decaf and green tea) breaks me out. I get a lot of doubt from the holistic board about this, but it is true for me and probably others. Through years of trial and error I have figured out that caffeine effects my skin more than any other thing I put in my body. My holistic doctor agrees with me and I have cut it out completely. My skin has improved dramatically, almost 100%. Rice milk steamer anyone?

hey, I have the same exact problem! I use to drink nearly an entire pot of coffee a day. My skin began to break out terribly. My skin began to clear within 3 weeks of quitting, so I assumed it was my retin-a micro and benzoyl peroxide regimen. That so wasn't it! I mean, it helped, but not nearly as much as quitting coffee! Oh, and I also quit sugar, candy,white rice, pizza, and breads.

I have a question..where do you find rice milk steamers? I love rice milk, and I really need something decaffeinated to replace my coffee in the mornings. Let me know :)

I have started drinking 2 large cups of espresso throughout the day, and my skin has not changed (yet). It lets me get at least 2 bowel movements, which helps my skin so much.

IMHO:

Caffeine probably depletes the body of zinc (shown in murine studies) and certainly affects the nocturnal melatonin surge (shown in humans). Zinc is crucial for multiple anti-oxidant pathways (including creating zinc superoxide dismutase and repleting glutathione) for which there is evidence of relevance to at least the inflammatory stage of acne. The nocturnal melatonin surge is key to avoiding acne, as melatonin has innumerable relevant effects (slowing cell division, stimulating cell production of superoxide dismutase, affecting insulin, decreasing androgens, and on and on).

I can take on large amounts of caffeine (32-oz Coke noon and evening) and be acne-free if I am getting 12-hour days of bright outdoor light exposure; the extended outdoor light we evolved to get both amplifies the nocturnal melatonin surge and (amazingly) appears to increase the intestine's ability to absorb zinc. If I am not getting all-day bright light exposure, then I have to eliminate evening caffeine (or take rather large doses of zinc) if I want to stay acne-free.

The timing of the caffeine, the amount, waking exposure to bright light, retinal ganglion cell sensitivity to bright light, the amount of dietary zinc, the duration and peak of the nocturnal melatonin surge -- all these things can explain why caffeine's affect on acne varies from person to person and even at different times in the same person.

i stopped coffee and alchohol and it made huge difference, i am still battling with my scar and few break outs here and there. i tried hard core internal cleansing and my face clear up but shame on me, i went back to those food again- bad habit. these are milk, coffee, pizza.

i dont eat pizza anymore, trying to let go off milk and only drink coffee once in a month. my major problem could be environmental stress since i dont get alot of sleep since i live in the city with noises from siren, police, party mongers etc.

i am currently taking self medicated anti- biotics, will post the name if it works. just started using a whitening soup from Asia and it's incredibly lightening my black spots. Name of soap - gabriel soap. google the name. it's specially designed for acne and black heads. it's drying up the living acne on my face.

i rub the soup on my face and leave it overnight. the recommended routine is 15minutes and watch off, my acne is bad and the routine i have now is working for me.

thanks

Edited by cutie2448

ive been a coffee- nut for ages. I daren't think about how many cups i drink in a day, but its gotta be around 14??

I never made the 'possible' connection between coffee and my skin, so as of yesterday im not drinking any coffee for a few weeks. See if i notice any positve changes.

Edited by flatron

If you're not prone to acne you probably won't have a problem, but for those of us that are, watch out. Here's my story. I had acne until my mid twenties and then it pretty much went away aside from a pimple here and there, and then I started college in my mid thirties. In my second year I started drinking BLACK coffee to keep me from getting drowsy in class and when studying and guess what? Almost instantly (like the very next day) I started getting zits like I hadn't had since high school. I kept drinking it to see if my body would adjust and 2 months later I was still pimple ridden. I quit drinking coffee and low and behold my skin cleared up. Every once in a while since then I drink a cup or two of coffee and like clockwork, I breakout. For those of you that can drink coffee without problems consider yourselves lucky because there is no doubt in my mind that coffee definitely causes acne for some of us. I don't know if it's the caffeine or pesticides, a combination of the two or something else, but coffee most certainly causes acne in a good percentage of people.

Caffeine does not cause me acne. I didn't drink it for about a month. I cleared up via diet and started drinking it again. At most, I'll have 4 a day. I'm still clear.

It's only when I eat bread, high fructose corn syrup or high doses of sugar that I'll break out.