Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
a529612

Coffee ultimate acne magnet?

Anyone consider that you're adding milk and sugar to your coffee and THOSE two are the culprits not coffee itself?

Yep, I would consider those culprits too. But even black coffee breaks me out.

I think there was 1 study that said coffee increased acne. I don't know if it was a big effect, and it was a single study (a different study said that for any 1 scientific study there's about a 50% chance that it's wrong- but that was only one study too :think::) )

I think there was 1 study that said coffee increased acne. I don't know if it was a big effect, and it was a single study (a different study said that for any 1 scientific study there's about a 50% chance that it's wrong- but that was only one study too :think::) )

That's why I said "may" cause acne... obviously with everything there's always two sides.

However, coffee is proven to stimulate the adrenal glands producing two stress hormones - adrenalin and cortisol. Adernal glands are the powerhouses of hormone production, putting out more than 150 hormone suncluding testosterone, cortisol, and oestrogen.

source: Dr. Chris Fenn

I think for those who feel stress is a cause of acne, or hormones.. these issues should be taken seriously..

Of course everyone is different. :D

I think for those who feel stress is a cause of acne, or hormones.. these issues should be taken seriously..

Yeah, but if coffee made your acne 20% worse, who would really notice?

To give an example, when I started to use a blue/red light lamp I've got about 6 weeks in before I noticed any difference. The studies showed a 30% reduction at that point. Other people have reported similar results.

So who's to say that coffee really isn't affecting your acne?

To give an example, when I started to use a blue/red light lamp I've got about 6 weeks in before I noticed any difference. The studies showed a 30% reduction at that point. Other people have reported similar results.

So who's to say that coffee really isn't affecting your acne?

Hmm, points definately taken.

I would! I've reached clear skin, through means of diet.. and I eat the same foods consistently that I've found do not negatively impact my skin, and the *ONLY* thing different in my diet upon occasions has been coffee (black, by the way).. and within 48 hours of this, I break out. I can safely assume it was the coffee. Especially since this same sequence of events has happened on dozens of occasions. Believe me, I've tried like hell to convince myself it's not the coffee breaking me out.

Now, I am not saying that coffee will break everyone out. I'm simply saying it does me, and it's a fact. But as I think we all agree, it is important for people to find what works and doesn't work for them personally.

Coffee actually clears me right up when i drink like 2-4 cups a day, id say a week of 2 cups a day of coffee can completely clear my mild acne

I love coffee. I will not give it up. It is my second favorite beverage in the world. Water is the first.

Guest ~Wolfy~

If anybody finds the study, could you let us know. I'm pretty sure that there is a study that seems to show it makes acne worse, since some derms believe that, but I don't know what sort of study it was.

I actually found it cleared me up some. I don't drink it everyday or nothin, but when I drink it often, I find myself less oily, and therefore clearer.

Does anyone manage to get clear skin with daily coffee consumption?

I don't think coffee gives me breakouts per se, but it may make my skin tone look a little worse for the rest of the day. I'm not positive about that one though. I've had as much as 7 drinks in a day (espresso + coffee). A single cup of coffee in a day shouldn't be too much of a problem though, unless you have a sensitivity to it.

It's strange because I'm very sensitive to stress (breaks me out bad) but with coffee, it just isn't the case.

You're transforming the discussion into something like "is coffee healthy or not ?" which was not the initial debate.

The question should be "Can coffee worsen acne ?"

The answer is, according to my nutritionist, definately Yes. If I look my own experience, the only time of my life when I had a clear skin was when I never drank any coffee.

The problem is Caffeine. The coffee caffeine is fastly assimilated, much faster than the tea for instance.

It can causes an excessive sebum production, hormones production, excitation, etc... for some people. Some other don't have the same effects...

Just try to stop coffee for 2 3 weeks you will see...

You're transforming the discussion into something like "is coffee healthy or not ?" which was not the initial debate.

The answer is, according to my nutritionist, definately Yes. If I look my own experience, the only time of my life when I had a clear skin was when I never drank any coffee.

The problem is Caffeine. The coffee caffeine is fastly assimilated, much faster than the tea for instance.

It can causes an excessive sebum production, hormones production, excitation, etc... for some people. Some other don't have the same effects...

As an update, coffee and any caffeine seems to have terribly turned on me, except green tea. Breaks my arms out and everything. No more of that for this guy :confused:

At great personal sacrifice I have just finished another test of brown liquids for the sake of personal science.

For me, not only coffee creates a break out but Brown sodas as well (known for Coke products) The acne is cystic, usually a big deep one that goes nowhere for a while but hurts and then the skin gets raw, even if not provoked and then it will open up and then take a week or two to heal.

I first started tracking this but always had some other influence that could also have been attributed to the break out.

That is, I noticed when I did not drink anything dark brown like soda and coffee, I would be clearer. That is, at least not have the cystic break out.

After I have cola or coffee, I would see a break out 2-7 days after. I could never tell if it was one or the other.

Sure it was SUGGESTED that it was the sugar or the caffeine. So I did a test with 1, 2 L bottle of Caffeine FREE DIET Coke last week and while the CFDC seems to do it less, than Coke Classic, I just got my break out a week later with a big one on the side of my nose forming and some break outs strangely behind my ear...

All the searching I have done has not shown the there is any significant caffeine in CFDC nor sugar.

I drink at least a cup of black tea per day, sometimes with sugar, sometimes with Splenda, others with honey, and up to 4 cups of various kinds of tea and do not have this problem.

It is only when I introduce the dark brown Coke product or coffee. Sometimes I am safe with on small cup of coffee or soda but if I have more that, I am punished a a few days to a week later.

So this make me wonder what ELSE is in BOTH coffee AND Cola that is causing my reaction?

Why does it take so long to cause the break out and why this type of acne? Why would it even cause a the cystic type? What really is going on I wonder? What acids and compounds are in both? Please give links if you know since there is allot of myth and guessing out there and I like to see the actual source.

Currenty I am doing Skin ID so that stuff did not prevent any break out. I waited 3.5 full weeks into Skin ID before doing this test. The results are the same.

BTW clear sodas, even with sugar, DO NOT CAUSE break outs.

I wonder how many people who have problems with coffee get shit with creamer and sugar in it? I bet the additives are what's causing problems for most people.

How about just plain coffee people? Not lattes or frappaccinos or fat building bullshit.

That's why I said "may" cause acne... obviously with everything there's always two sides.

However, coffee is proven to stimulate the adrenal glands producing two stress hormones - adrenalin and cortisol. Adernal glands are the powerhouses of hormone production, putting out more than 150 hormone suncluding testosterone, cortisol, and oestrogen.

source: Dr. Chris Fenn

If it is the caffeine, then how are people improving their acne by drinking boatloads of green tea..... which of course contains CAFFEINE!

Then why are coffee enemas (which introduce about 2 cups worth of caffeine into your body in about 3 seconds) helping clear acne?

:clap:

A voice of reason. Absolutely agree. For me, ANY caffeine (even decaf and green tea) breaks me out. I get a lot of doubt from the holistic board about this, but it is true for me and probably others. Through years of trial and error I have figured out that caffeine effects my skin more than any other thing I put in my body. My holistic doctor agrees with me and I have cut it out completely. My skin has improved dramatically, almost 100%. Rice milk steamer anyone?

Decaf doesn't contain caffeine, hence the term decaf. Maybe it's something besides the caffeine.

As I said, in my personal study on my body, it is not cream, sugar or caffeine that is the issue since this will happen to me with black coffee as well as Caffeine FREE DIET Coke.

So FOR ME it is something present in BOTH coffee and Cola drinks. That is why I said it seems to happen with DARK BROWN liquids.

If I can keep breaking it down to the compound that people suggest, then I could really test.

That is, is phosphoric acid in coffee? Is it just the acidity level of both coffee or soda that is not in clear soda or tea? I would like to find what compounds are in coffee and at what levels.

I am only willing to sacrifice my body in small doses. Before I was not certain it was these dark brown liquids. But I have to know. I have to know more since I enjoy a coke or coffee and if I can enjoy one from time to time without a reaction that would be great.

But to think how many people it might help as well as myself I will do these tests from time to time after I heal up.

I heard there are over 850 compounds in coffee. Also finding out what is in Tea would also give some clue to what is different in coffee. From the caffeine free coke test I can say it is not the caffeine or the sugar.

Carmel color? Is that in coffee as well?

Coffee absolutely causes acne breakouts...well caffeinated anyway and it's for some people not all.

For me, it definitely did. For other's it doesn't. However, it has a negative impact on skin any way you look at it, it's just in some people, it doesn't surface in the form of zits.

Coffee has a high amount of caffeine (as do many sodas, chocolate, etc..). Caffeine causes the increases release of cortisol, which is the stress hormone and cause sebacious glands to become overactive. I actually just studied this in my college physiology class and someone had asked if coffee was related to acne breakouts and the professor said "not coffee exactly, the caffeine yes."

This is why stress is related to acne breakouts as well...caffeine and stress cause the release of the same exact contributor to acne...caffeine. It's just that under stress, your body is subjected to a prolonged release of cortisol so it has a greater effect than caffeine in general.

This made complete sense to me. I would always breakout before a big exam. Come to think about it as well, I started breaking out when I started drinking coffee 1-2 times a day (big caffeinated cups). However, I have to wonder about how much it causes acne. I am breaking out currently badly and haven't had much caffeine. But then again, when I do drink coffee, my acne gets a lot more inflamed.

I am doing fine having coffee 1 or 2x a day. I have either have it black or with some heavy whipping cream, and I add cinnamon to it no matter what, but never anything else.

That explanation by expirationdate is interesting though, I might try some time off from coffee if I feel the need to after finals.

I don't remember coffee ever breaking me out. Then again, i don't drink it very often. When i do have a cup, it's usually the darkest roast i can find and without any cream and sugar. The more bitter, the better. IMO, cream and/or sugar in coffee is kinda nasty.. It's just not my taste. And putting any artificial sweetner in it is like a 1000x worse.

I haven't had any coffee in months. Now that i think about it, my last cup was before i quit smoking.. Coffee and smoking went hand in hand for me. I don't know what it's like to have coffee without cigarettes.....