Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
a529612

Coffee ultimate acne magnet?

Does anyone manage to get clear skin with daily coffee consumption?

I drink at least a cup daily, and it's usually strong coffee. I dont think it affects me one way or the other, every person is different though so it COULD in theory be bad for you.

Ha! pretty much just the opposite.

Coffee is a good source of antioxidants. It is the number one source for Americans, actually. That is not to say that Coffee has more nutritional value than fruit or tea, but that Americans consume more of it.

You know its funny you ask this. I never really put much thought into coffee and acne relations. But now i relize that coffee did have an effect on my acne. For that past 5 months my acne had gotten out of control. Huge breakouts. During the past 5 monthhs, i had been drinking about 3-4 large cups of coffee a day. With an artificial sweetner ( so sugar was not the cause). Recently (about 2 weeks) i have switched from coffee consumption to green tea, and wow, its made a huge difference in breakouts. I get the odd pimple now, and tiny ones as well. So to make a long story short......Coffee was one of the reasons my acne got out of control..For others it may be different.

Christina :wub:

HAHA no. I got acne long before I started drinking coffee, but at one point in college i was drinking about two POTS of coffee per day (and no, not sleeping much lol) and I saw no difference at all. I really think I'm someone for whom diet has little to no effect on my acne.

Coffee is a good source of antioxidants. It is the number one source for Americans, actually. That is not to say that Coffee has more nutritional value than fruit or tea, but that Americans consume more of it.

More then green tea? Can you post some links about this?

Personally I think Coffee is fine.

@ Christina, I think it was perhaps the intake of Green tea that has improved your skin, rather than the absence of coffee.

I drink coffee and tea, 2 cups a day max, sometimes none at all.

Yeah, it's funny. Coffee has caffeine which can work for or against people with insulin resistance since it raises our IGF-1 levels (can be inflammatory and increases growth of cells, etc). Yet roasted coffee beans (and other processed fruits) also contain caffeic acid antioxidant & anti-inflammatory, and so this may be a way coffee can still be helpful for people with glucose intolerance issues as it increases cell glucose uptake (chocolate covered coffee beans anyone?). However there's another antioxidant found in in the whole fruit, or coffee berries, known as cholorgenic acid that works to supress excess glucose production in the body. As such, now people can get the benefits of this in a pill since the it's not likely we'll be able to consume the whole fruit (skin, fruit, & seed/bean) anytime soon. http://search.lef.org/cgi-src-bin/MsmGo.ex...rry%20coffee%20

http://www.coffeeberry.org/powder.htm

http://www.coffeeberry.org/extract.htm

I'm gonna back Christinalee88 on this one. I used to be a heavy coffee drinker when I started university, having it first thing in the morning, then in between my classes, sometimes adding up to as much as 6 cups a day. Then I guess things just accumulated till it's so bad, my skin breakout and was totally out of control. I never had breakout that bad and that refused to subside no matter what I do. I was desperate. So, I decided to stop coffee as part of my holistic approach, and it makes a tremendous difference. 6 months on, I'm pretty much cleared up, and even though I still get the occasional hormonal-induced zits, I don't get an entire spread of them on my face, just isolated ones here there and they go away quick. Of course, I'm not saying that just by stopping/reducing coffee intake, it will clear the skin. But in my case, coffee was the trigger of my breakout (since it was the only bad habit that I got into when I started college), so people out there may want to take note of this.

Coffee is actually a diruetic (pulls water out of your system and makes you have to go number 2). So, coffee could be helpful in colon cleansing; maybe. I hate coffee - love the smell, yucky taste. I think the problem becomes when people load their coffee with choc., sugar, and milk. Think Starbucks! Then it really doesn't do much but add empty calories.

i use to drink coffee almost everyday and it never cleared up my acne nor did it make it lessen .. so i do not believe coffee has anything to do with acne

coffee absolutely causes me to break out. this saddens me immensely as i love every aspect of coffee. i love the smell, i love the flavor, i love the perk, i love clutching a cup as my salvation as i wake myself up.

but i love clear skin WAY more so i've had to give it up and replace with green tea, sometimes white tea.

i've even tried in drinking my coffee in moderation - just once a week on sunday mornings.. and before i go running (sometimes working out burns excess sugar and prevents me to break out) but come monday, or tuesday - i'll always have a few tiny whiteheads, or sometimes worse. :(

coffee absolutely causes me to break out. this saddens me immensely as i love every aspect of coffee. i love the smell, i love the flavor, i love the perk, i love clutching a cup as my salvation as i wake myself up.

but i love clear skin WAY more so i've had to give it up and replace with green tea, sometimes white tea.

i've even tried in drinking my coffee in moderation - just once a week on sunday mornings.. and before i go running (sometimes working out burns excess sugar and prevents me to break out) but come monday, or tuesday - i'll always have a few tiny whiteheads, or sometimes worse. :(

Sigh..me too, Heather. I love coffee, but it breaks me out in tiny comedones all over. The thing is, I have been trying to give up coffee for YEARS becasue I know how bad it is for you. The only thing that has made me give it up....ACNE. I'm hoping with liverflushing, I'll be able to enjoy it again once in awhile. For now, it's probably good that I'm not drinking it....so it will lose it's grip on me.

I have been noticing the same thing too. On two seperate occasions I relapsed from my gree tea to coffee and on both occasions I broke out like crazy. Big nasty whitheads!! :shock:

So I started my green tea again yesterday and hopefully I'll clear up again. :pray:

Green tea is said to have endless health benefits, so maybe it's all for the better.

I have been completly and totally acne free for a little over four months now and I drink 2-4 cups of espresso a day. I am a believer of what you put in your body has a direct effect upon the outward appearance of the our biggest organ, our skin. However, I also believe that there is a lot more negative hype towards coffee than need be.

I also believe that there is a lot more negative hype towards coffee than need be.

Hmm...

I always say anything is okay to eat as long as you eat healthy balanced diet. I've always gotten annoyed at the, "I ate a skittle today and tomorrow I know I'll break out"...

I don't mind coffee, however research has shown that it may aggravate acne by increasing the level of stress hormones... which kind of explains all the negative hype towards it.

I also believe that there is a lot more negative hype towards coffee than need be.

Hmm...

I always say anything is okay to eat as long as you eat healthy balanced diet. I've always gotten annoyed at the, "I ate a skittle today and tomorrow I know I'll break out"...

I don't mind coffee, however research has shown that it may aggravate acne by increasing the level of stress hormones... which kind of explains all the negative hype towards it.

I was referring to coffees negative hype in general, coffee has been shown to reduce the risk of diabetes and parkinsons, coffee also might be responsible for cavity prevention. Coffee isn't for everyone but it gets a really negative rap when it actually has some pretty nice qualities. And of course, its amazing aroma and taste.

I completly agree with you though, everything is good and healthy in moderation.

Hmm...

I was referring to coffees negative hype in general, coffee has been shown to reduce the risk of diabetes and parkinsons, coffee also might be responsible for cavity prevention. Coffee isn't for everyone but it gets a really negative rap when it actually has some pretty nice qualities. And of course, its amazing aroma and taste.

I completly agree with you though, everything is good and healthy in moderation.

Ah, I see, so you meant generally, well I'm sure coffee has a lot of good to express but in regards to acne I suppose in some cases it does otherwise.

hmm I wouldn't say everything is good and healthy, however I don't see why a little chocolate would hurt once in a while. :redface:

Coffee does have some health benefits, but not anything you can't get elsewhere. It's also tough on your liver, dehydrating and demineralizing. And if you have to have it every day, well then, that's an addiction and that's unhealthy no matter what the substance is.