Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JCx1984

Big Dillema involving Accutane

Hi, i have sufered from borderline severe acne for past 8 months or so now (i am 21 1/2 yrs old)

After trying ALL over the counter products, I finally gave up and went to a derm a week ago. He gave me some "Prednisone" and "Doryx" to calm the swelling on my face and told me he had "legal" procedures to follow before I got on accutane, therefore he told me to come back in two weeks.

Well, from the week before I went to the derm, I have only had like 1 extremely small pimple that went away within a day, and my face feels like the old one I used to have!!

And with couple days to go before I make my 2nd visit with the derm, I still haven't had any since the 1 little zit went away, and now im just healing from redmarks (which im also doing extremely fast, friends are saying)

But still, i am TERRIFIED that i will break out massively again, but I know accutane will probably break me out initially and redden my face and all the hoopla so....and considering the fact that I dont have insurance and will have to cough up 420 dollars every month out of my own pocket plus the blood test (yes my parents are apathetic to my skin problems, and how much are bloodtests?) I've begun to seriously ponder other options.

Im healing extremely fast, at this pace in two months i will be completely normal again, and no new acne has rose up for a while now.

Just what should I do?

I really think you should wait. I know it must be scary, wondering if it will happen again. But for such a short period of breakouts, it may have been stress or something, and the cost, both financially and otherwise, is too great to do Accutane in your case. I would actually be surprised if your Derm even still says you should do it after your skin clearing. Most derms would NOT as long as the other treatment helped.

Take good care of your skin, see if you can get refills on the stuff that helped, and take it one day at a time. That's my two cents.

HTH!

~Lisa~

I agree you should wait - some people can get clear on antibiotics and do not need further treatment. If you have another flare up once your dr. takes you off of them, he'll probably prescribe accutane. Don't spend your 'clear' time stressing about whether it's going to come back - enjoy it!

thanks guys for the response, its just that past 8 months have been hell and my acne is really cyclistic, they go away and then come back with a fury. Past 4 months the cycle gap was alot shorter so the breakout occurred once like every two weeks or so. But my face feels normal again and still, i have not had any bad breakouts. So i suppose i should stay away from accutane... but if my doctor doesn't want to give me the "steroids" that he gave me last time then what shold I do?

I'd take the tane...I was like you...cyclical...so I'd get my hopes up thinking it'd be gone...but it keeps fooling you. If you get cysts that is....if you're just getting superficial stuff, then yeah go for other crap. But if you do get a couple cysts here and there and/or body acne, get the tane and kick the shit in the ass. To me it sounds like you havent miraculously recovered, its just the roids effect....once thats done, the same ole shit will happen. I dont "know" a god damn thing...no one does...I just know I'm a few years older than you, and was in a position like yours...and months of "passing on it" turn into years, and you end up w/ a few scars you wish you didnt have....and time of your life tainted w/ all that comes w/ acne. What do I know though....just one guys opinion..

thanks for the reply. Yeah I definitely do feel as if it will come back with a fury, its just interesting because my face has never been this good at controlling facial oil before, as long as I wash my face twice a day, I don't feel any excessive acne and my face proves it by not breaking out.

I delayed my next appt. with the derm so that I can see whats going on.

While I can't risk having anymore cysts to scar my face (i dont have alot of scarring....yet) Im just so afraid of Tane its sideaffects, plus that nasty initial breakout everyone tells me about on this forum.. right now, I haven't had any cystic acne for almost a month now.

such a tough decision still... im psychologically getting messed up due to my fear of acne, and I can't even see people straight in the face, of course im sure alot of people have similar experiences here, so im not gonna moan about those.

sigh.