Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
epa70

Purpose AHA Moisturizer...Gone?

Has anyone else noticed that Purpose appears to have discontinued its alpha-hydroxy moisturizer product? I'm unable to find it anywhere, even online (drugstore.com among many others). This is really disappointing to me personally, as it seemed to be the lynchpin to my (partial) clearing of acne.

Does anyone have any information about this?

I'm switching to the Eucerin Renewal as it seems to have identical active ingredients but would love to hear what others have had success with.

Some background: My acne is largely related to a condition called psuedofolliculitis in which facial hairs become ingrown and turn into pimples. I also appear to be the only white person on the planet who suffers from this. Anywhere I go for information is catered mainly to African-American men, as they make up most cases. This has added to over a year of frustration in finding a successful treatment.

Anyway, the exfoliating properties of AHA appear to be very helpful. The shedding of dead skin cells helps to keep hairs above the surface and, thus, less prone to growing inward. At least that's my theory.

Exfoliating via scrubs seemed to only irritate my skin and bring on more problems. The chemical exfoliation appears to work better for me. I now NEVER use an exfoliating scrub of any kind. Overall, I've taken a much gentler approach per Dan's advice.

Sorry to go on so long, but one more thing: I emailed Dan about my Purpose question and he got back to me almost immediately--twice. Thanks, Dan, for all your incredible work and attention.

Good luck everyone!

--epa70

31 years old, white male

On the old website I remember people talking about (a) how the Purpose AHA was being discontinued and (B) how the Eucerin Renewal was even better. So it sounds like you are on the right track...

On the old website I remember people talking about (a) how the Purpose AHA was being discontinued and (B) how the Eucerin Renewal was even better. So it sounds like you are on the right track...

Following up: I called the Purpose 800# today and they confirmed that, yes, the AHA lotion has been discontinued. Looks like it's Eucerin for now. I've only been using it for a day so can't report anything yet.

Guest fatman_uk

Ive searched for it all over the net an in all my local shops an pharmacies an i cuddent find it ANYWHERE! :D

Urban Rites is good stuff IMO, u UK guys could try that. No AHA in it tho, perfect for sensitive skinned ppl. Get it from Sainsbury's (Well, mine has it anyhow) or from www.urbanrites.com

-Gaz

Just curious, I am currently using some regular face moisturizer without the AHA. How does the alpha hydroxy help with face and acne? Thanks -froggy

It is a chemical exfoliant, helping to shed dead skin cells that can sometimes clog pores. It's less harsh--generally speaking--than using scrubs of some sorts.

Just curious, I am currently using some regular face moisturizer without the AHA.  How does the alpha hydroxy help with face and acne?  Thanks -froggy