Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DanMan1

10 Mg Accutane a DAY

Hey guys just wanted to stop by and say....

I have a question about accutane... I have told myself that i want to take accutane but not in the high dose most people take it... instead i want to take it on a very low dose... Even if it takes months to work... And continure taking it...

Now my Question was how much a day non stop will make acne better? 5 Mg? 10 Mg?

Please help, Thanks

I have a question about accutane... I have told myself that i want to take accutane but not in the high dose most people take it... instead i want to take it on a very low dose... Even if it takes months to work... And continure taking it...

Please help, Thanks

As little as 2.5 mg can be effective at controlling oil and acne. But as soon as you stop taking it, the effect is gone.

Please help, Thanks

As little as 2.5 mg can be effective at controlling oil and acne. But as soon as you stop taking it, the effect is gone.

That being said... If i take 5 Mg a day... how many weeks before im clear?? Approximately? And will there be any side effects... I weigh about 180 lbs

Thanks alot man...

It would take you almost three years to finish a course at 10 mg/day. The lower your dose, the more likely the acne is to recur after treatment.

It would take you almost three years to finish a course at 10 mg/day. The lower your dose, the more likely the acne is to recur after treatment.

Im not talking bout a treatment... im talking about something i can take every day for like 3 years just to prevent the acne while im taking it... and then hopefully by that time i will have outgrown acne... because im only 16...

thanks

Acne gets worse during 17-21.

You're barely just entering that field. Outgrowing it will take you 10 years. Im sorry but that's reality.

You're barely just entering that field. Outgrowing it will take you 10 years. Im sorry but that's reality.

Maybe for you... Thats not entirely true... for other people it may be way different... my sis had it when she was about 13 - 16 and then she outgrew it... i began having it when i was 14 so im sure by the time im 17 or 18 i will have gotten rid of this problem... until then i want a dosage to keep me clear with no side effects...

Any info would be appreciated ... Thanks alott

If your not going to do it like a normal treatment, i wouldn't bother doing it. Besides, I dout any doctor would do that for you.

Maybe for you... Thats not entirely true... for other people it may be way different... my sis had it when she was about 13 - 16 and then she outgrew it... i began having it when i was 14 so im sure by the time im 17 or 18 i will have gotten rid of this problem... until then i want a dosage to keep me clear with no side effects...

I wouldn't be so quick to assume that you'll outgrow it within 4 years. I got my my first zit when I was about 13. I'm 23 now and my skin is getting worse. I'm not the expert on accutane cos I haven't used it yet but believe me you're better off rolling with some of the side-effects and giving yourself a chance of getting rid of acne for good. I'm nearing my mid-twenties and it's still preventing me from moving forward in life.

I wouldn't be so quick to assume that you'll outgrow it within 4 years. I got my my first zit when I was about 13. I'm 23 now and my skin is getting worse. I'm not the expert on accutane cos I haven't used it yet but believe me you're better off rolling with some of the side-effects and giving yourself a chance of getting rid of acne for good. I'm nearing my mid-twenties and it's still preventing me from moving forward in life.

Same here mate - 23 too and finally on Tane as had enough! Had acne since I was 17, and like above posts, it got a lot worse between the age of 17-22. If you think you'll outgrow it soon, fair play, but odds are you WONT and that you're being very NIAVE to that fact. Get it treated properly, dont pin your hopes on a 'couple more years' for it to subside as the truth is, it probably won't. :doh:

You're also asking for a miracal here by 'not wanting' any side-effects even with a low dose of tane and asking for a 'perfect' treatment that also stops your acne. Do you actually know that there isn't a cure!

DanMan,

I don't know what I would do if I were in your shoes. I often look back and wish I had taken Accutane as a teenager, but ultimately I don't know if I would have been better off.

Accutane can stunt your growth by causing epiphyseal plates to close prematurely. So, if you're still growing, I don't know if it's worth the risk. Unless you are scarring. Then it probably is.

Have you tried a good stiff dose of antibiotics and a retinoid? That cleared the fuck out of me when I was 16. And the results lasted years.

DanMan,

I don't know what I would do if I were in your shoes. I often look back and wish I had taken Accutane as a teenager, but ultimately I don't know if I would have been better off.

Accutane can stunt your growth by causing epiphysial plates to close prematurely. So, if you're still growing, I don't know if it's worth the risk. Unless you are scarring. Then it probably is.

Have you tried a good stiff dose of antibiotics and a retinoid? That cleared the fuck out of me when I was 16. And the results lasted years.

I tried Minocycline it worked real good i was real clear no new spots... but i allways felt like shit... i allways felt dizzy... and on top of it i heard from a lot of places that ure acne may eventually come back much stronger after a few years of antibiotics...

The only thing i want to do is be on Accutane about 20 mg a day... which im pretty sure will cure me in a way where the side effects will be very minimal... and i am going to continure with this dose... i dont see anything wrong with this... do u?

And about the 20 mg plan... how long until you think i clear? or for the oiliness to go away?

Thanks alott

I tried Minocycline it worked real good i was real clear no new spots... but i allways felt like shit... i allways felt dizzy... and on top of it i heard from a lot of places that ure acne may eventually come back much stronger after a few years of antibiotics...

The only thing i want to do is be on Accutane about 20 mg a day... which im pretty sure will cure me in a way where the side effects will be very minimal... and i am going to continure with this dose... i dont see anything wrong with this... do u?

And about the 20 mg plan... how long until you think i clear? or for the oiliness to go away?

Thanks alott

First of all, if Mino made you feel shitty, be aware there's a chance Accutane is going to give you problems as well. Mino is like candy compared to Accutane. I'm taking a near negligible amount of the stuff (3-5 mg a day, by way of a 40mg pill every 10-14 days), and I still feel some of the sides. My back and joints hurt, and it's just the feeling of having a toxic substance -- albeit a tiny amount of it -- in your body all the time: you just feel nasty. I never felt a damn thing on Minocycline.

Mino should work for a couple years. For the vast majority of people it buys them enough time to grow out of their acne. If you're so confident you are destined to grow out of your acne, it might be ideal. If it craps out in a few years, and against all odds you haven't grown out of your acne, you can always do Accutane then. By which time you'll have stopped growing and you'll have a better idea of where you stand with your condition.

If you did 20mg a day, there's no telling how long it would take you to clear. I started on 20mg when I did my full course and I cleared in 2 weeks. It was like magic. I knew a guy who took 20mg for several years (he now low doses at 20mg per week) and he also cleared almost immediately. Your mileage may vary, though.

Good luck,

Paul

Thanks alott

First of all, if Mino made you feel shitty, be aware there's a chance Accutane is going to give you problems as well. Mino is like candy compared to Accutane. I'm taking a near negligible amount of the stuff (3-5 mg a day, by way of a 40mg pill every 10-14 days), and I still feel some of the sides. My back and joints hurt, and it's just the feeling of having a toxic substance -- albeit a tiny amount of it -- in your body all the time: you just feel nasty. I never felt a damn thing on Minocycline.

Mino should work for a couple years. For the vast majority of people it buys them enough time to grow out of their acne. If you're so confident you are destined to grow out of your acne, it might be ideal. If it craps out in a few years, and against all odds you haven't grown out of your acne, you can always do Accutane then. By which time you'll have stopped growing and you'll have a better idea of where you stand with your condition.

If you did 20mg a day, there's no telling how long it would take you to clear. I started on 20mg when I did my full course and I cleared in 2 weeks. It was like magic. I knew a guy who took 20mg for several years (he now low doses at 20mg per week) and he also cleared almost immediately. Your mileage may vary, though.

Good luck,

Paul

Thanks alot for the info... i just wanted to know... is there anyway by going on Mino that it is more likely for Acne to linger around more?? or get worse??

Thanks alott

Good luck,

Paul

Thanks alot for the info... i just wanted to know... is there anyway by going on Mino that it is more likely for Acne to linger around more?? or get worse??

Oh yha and by the way how would you describe your acne?? oily skin dry skin?? thanks alot...

Oh yha and by the way how would you describe your acne?? oily skin dry skin?? thanks alot...

It won't make your acne worse. The only thing you have to worry about is, over time, developing a resistance to the effect of the drug. Then you can go from improved to bad again. But the drug itself cannot cause your acne to become worse than it was before you began taking it.

My acne was non-cystic, non-nodular. It was pretty mildish moderate at it's worst, but I would get these occasional inflamed zits on my temple or jawline that began to leave permanent marks.

And any zit like that that I got would take about 6 weeks to resolve. And last but not least, I was extremely oily. It was dripping off my face.

Accutane made a night and day difference in my appearance. My face was red, blotchy, pimply, oily, flaky, irritated with clogged pores before Accutane. It's bloody perfect afterwards, except for the marks.

Apparently, our oil glands are most active during 17-21 years. This does not mean once you're 21 you're done acne. It just may improve a litle bit. Like go from severe-moderate to moderate.

10 mg's won't do anything if it's your first course.

As for your sister outgrowing acne.. She probabily started taking birth control pills cuz she was afraid to get pregnant and those pills worked for her. ;)

It won't make your acne worse. The only thing you have to worry about is, over time, developing a resistance to the effect of the drug. Then you can go from improved to bad again. But the drug itself cannot cause your acne to become worse than it was before you began taking it.

My acne was non-cystic, non-nodular. It was pretty mildish moderate at it's worst, but I would get these occasional inflamed zits on my temple or jawline that began to leave permanent marks.

And any zit like that that I got would take about 6 weeks to resolve. And last but not least, I was extremely oily. It was dripping off my face.

Accutane made a night and day difference in my appearance. My face was red, blotchy, pimply, oily, flaky, irritated with clogged pores before Accutane. It's bloody perfect afterwards, except for the marks.

Ok... so i just have a simple question for you... My skin is pretty much very oily... So if i go on 10 mg accutane a day for about 6 months will my acne clear?? most probably?? to some extent?? what would you think?? thanks alot for all the info

DanMan,

Accutane can stunt your growth by causing epiphyseal plates to close prematurely. So, if you're still growing, I don't know if it's worth the risk. Unless you are scarring. Then it probably is.

That's extremely unlikely for stunted growth to occur, especially at 10mg a day. I've never heard of this happening to anyone. In fact I've never heard of anyone even having liver problems from accutane, even on this board which hosts a good deal of hypochondriacs. It's all exaggeration.

Anyway, i took 10mg a day to start out with and I cleared at the 3 month line, at which point I was bumped up to 40mg a day. From what others tell me, my acne was pretty bad. The 40mg didn't make much difference in clearing my skin, and it caused a host of side effects, meaning I eventually stopped.

ever since then i've had mild acne, very tame. I can almost feel the tane still working to a degree. no side effects. i'm going on 10mg/day again soon for 4-5 months just to get 100% (that, and I love being on the drug...does wonders for the skin).

so yes, if you're not a severe case, 10mg will eventually fix the problem, but you must be patient. On the other hand if you're moderate-severe you'll probably need a lot more.

Roche state that a cumulative dose of 125mg/kg at the end of a course is enough for long term remission.

I'm starting 20mg/day (2 x 10mg morning/evening) and will see how it is in two months or so.

Ok... so i just have a simple question for you... My skin is pretty much very oily... So if i go on 10 mg accutane a day for about 6 months will my acne clear?? most probably?? to some extent?? what would you think?? thanks alot for all the info

THANKS ALOTT MAN!!! Thats exactly what i was looking for and hoping for... THANK YOU!... Accutane here i come!

The lower your dose, the more likely the acne is to recur after treatment.

is that true??

then why did i waste my time and money with two low-dosage courses??

:wall:

the problem is that i can't take another one cause my body wil just stop functioning.

BLAST!!!

Listen. If you want to take Accutane, do a full course of it. It will work miracles. If you are just worried about the side effects your acne is not bad enough to justify taking Accutane in the first place.

Personally, I wouldn't want to take that shit any longer than absolutely necessary. I love what it did to my skin but I hate what it did to my body. Taking Tane for years is probably not a smart thing to do.

Listen. If you want to take Accutane, do a full course of it. It will work miracles. If you are just worried about the side effects your acne is not bad enough to justify taking Accutane in the first place.

Personally, I wouldn't want to take that shit any longer than absolutely necessary. I love what it did to my skin but I hate what it did to my body. Taking Tane for years is probably not a smart thing to do.

true... but 10 mg a day will that really be felt by you??

If you take 10mg.day, it won't be felt by me, that's for sure. It probably won't be felt by you either, but it will still fuck with your system. If you are going to take accutane, do it properly and do a normal course. I don't even think you could find a doctor that would support your cause.

is that true??

the problem is that i can't take another one cause my body wil just stop functioning.

BLAST!!!

Yes, it's true. Try reading some of the .pdf's on Roche's website.

If you take 10mg.day, it won't be felt by me, that's for sure. It probably won't be felt by you either, but it will still fuck with your system. If you are going to take accutane, do it properly and do a normal course. I don't even think you could find a doctor that would support your cause.

is that true??

BLAST!!!

Yes, it's true. Try reading some of the .pdf's on Roche's website.

my mom works at a hospital so she has connections... she talked to a dcotr and the doctor didnt say anything... he was actually for it and is going to give me a prescription for the drub most probably monday... im excited... thanks alot for the info though man... ive been through so much shit cause of this stuff... i just want it to be gone so i can move onwith my life... wish all the best to you man...