Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
maryval

silicone bumps removal

I am in a deep depression about my face. My family thinks I'm losing it because I'm so obsessed with this problem. I took a risk and lost. I had perm filler on my acne scars. I did this after a few scars were left after my exoderm. I could have lived happily after the exoderm. Actually, the exoderm was after two previous deep laser peels that did nothing. Anyway, you can imagine how much I've spent to get rid of my scars. But my mistake was in trying to make it better. I'm feeling more anger in myself for not waiting for something better to come along. Now my face looks like I have cystic acne with the scars back. Except its permanent because the bumps are from the reaction I had to silicone injections. I've had kenalog shots for the last three months and it goes down and comes back. Sorry about sounding like such a whiner, but I feel so worried and hopeless now.

I have seen a dermatologist who has done tons of research and I only wish I had seen his research before my decision. He said my doctor was doing the right things with the kenalog, but it can't really go away permanently. He said I will always have flare ups. I won't see him for another three weeks and these bumps are driving me nuts. I have thought of demabrasion but I am of hispanic descent and fear having bad scarring. I have two more appts coming up. One is with a plastic surgeon and another with a dermatologist that is supposed to have experience with these problems. I am seroiusly considering trying to have them removed by a plastic surgeon as opposed to jst getting them injected for the reat of my life. Also, my scars look even worse every time I'm injected.

Does anyone know of anyone who has been in my shoes and removed these bumps successfully? Thanks ahead of time for any help. Is the plastic surgery idea crazy? I would appreciate some feedback.

maryval,

Were the silicone injections done by injecting little bits at a time (microdroplet method) and have you talked to the doctor who did them about your problem? Also was it pure Adatosil 5000 or Silikon 1000? Sounds like they will indeed have to be cut out by a PS. Hopefully there are just a few.

How long after the injections did you see this problem? Dermabrasion might just 'expose' them which could be very nasty if you know what I mean.

If the kenalog injections are not ridding you completely of the filler, you will have to have then removed via surgery. It isnt a huge deal, a micro incision is made and then the filler is removed. Sometimes the filler will be like a small BB or pea and just pop out, other times it has migrated and will have to be removed with a Q-tip or flushed out with water or saline.

The incision will be closed with a single stitch and should leave no visible scarring if done correctly. If you continue with the kenalog, you will destroy the tissue surrounding the filler and create a larger depression so if you have tried it and it was unsuccessful, stop now and look into minor surgery.

Hey, I've been gone awhile, had a baby and forgot about skin for awhile but wanted to see what's going on again. I want to reiterate that kenalog injections can leave worse scars, it happened to me, and prolonged shots can cause rosacea, you can read up on steroid induced rosacea, I believe I have permanent redness around my scars like rosacea, it has been years and will still turn bright red when just washing with a wash cloth. Makeup can cover it fairly well when my skin is calm but the scars are not filling in one bit. I even had IPL done three times and no real difference. Sorry to give you more to worry about with the kenalog I know this is an incredibly difficult time for you. Try to do what you can and then focus on something else if possible. My baby now helps me get the focus off my skin and it is really great to be a mom, although pretty draining.

maryval,

Were the silicone injections done by injecting little bits at a time (microdroplet method) and have you talked to the doctor who did them about your problem? Also was it pure Adatosil 5000 or Silikon 1000? Sounds like they will indeed have to be cut out by a PS. Hopefully there are just a few.

How long after the injections did you see this problem? Dermabrasion might just 'expose' them which could be very nasty if you know what I mean.

Hi. They were done by a reputable dermatologist with silikon. I had two sessions-small amounts. The exoderm had really helped my scars. I just had some minor ones. Now, I look like I did in my college days with the scars and cysts. Although, for some reason, they seemed to go down a little today. They do that. They go up and down. My doctor seems to believe that kenalog and time is the answer. The kenalog worked the first few times, but they never go away completely.

I am ready to do surgery, but I would like to get info on what kind is best and what will I look like after. I talked to one doctor's assistant and she said the plastic surgery cuts the skin at the forehead so that he doesn't leave a scar. This sounds like major sugery and I only get one week off for Easter.Unfortunately, this doctor is only available to see me in two weeks.So, I'm waiting -impatiently and self-consciously. I 'm also breaking out a little, so I'm getting dry from the BP I'm putting on.

The demabrasion idea came from someone on a forum who had the problem and said this worked for her. I really don't thnk I qualify because I'm Hispanic-light..but still I have an olive tone.

If the kenalog injections are not ridding you completely of the filler, you will have to have then removed via surgery. It isnt a huge deal, a micro incision is made and then the filler is removed. Sometimes the filler will be like a small BB or pea and just pop out, other times it has migrated and will have to be removed with a Q-tip or flushed out with water or saline.

The incision will be closed with a single stitch and should leave no visible scarring if done correctly. If you continue with the kenalog, you will destroy the tissue surrounding the filler and create a larger depression so if you have tried it and it was unsuccessful, stop now and look into minor surgery.

I think I already noticed the damage the kenalog has done. The doctor said its only temporary. I'm hoping this is true...but he also said there were no reported problems with medical grade silikon, so I'm losing trust. I don't blame him though. I think he really believes this. Dr. Duffy( the other doc I saw) said it's still just 1% that have problems. That's what I had read before I did it. I thought they were good odds. But, one thing I hadn't heard was that people with multiple allergies weren't good candidates for silicone. That's a piece of info I would have liked to have before the shots.

Can you recommend someone in the southern Calif area that does this proceedure? I live in Long beach. Thanks ...your reply has given me the most hope. The PS I have an appt with is in 2 weeks. His name is Dr. Hoenig. Have youheard anything about him. I also have an appt with a doctor Wirtzer in Sherman Oaks.

I was thinking that the surgeon would be removing the lumps at their location and leaving small incision scars. Not peeling your face back to get to the lumps. That sounds really scary but it might work well. Cutting the skin around the forehead will leave a scar just not a plainly visible one. It does sound like major surgery. I hope all turns out well as this is a case I haven't seen on this forum and I have read lots. Wish I could be of more help but hopefully your docs know what they are doing.

By the way I agree with tricia about constant kenalog injections doing permanent damage. I hope you heal well and let us know how it goes if you decide to do it.

Hey, I've been gone awhile, had a baby and forgot about skin for awhile but wanted to see what's going on again. I want to reiterate that kenalog injections can leave worse scars, it happened to me, and prolonged shots can cause rosacea, you can read up on steroid induced rosacea, I believe I have permanent redness around my scars like rosacea, it has been years and will still turn bright red when just washing with a wash cloth. Makeup can cover it fairly well when my skin is calm but the scars are not filling in one bit. I even had IPL done three times and no real difference. Sorry to give you more to worry about with the kenalog I know this is an incredibly difficult time for you. Try to do what you can and then focus on something else if possible. My baby now helps me get the focus off my skin and it is really great to be a mom, although pretty draining.

I just read your post about the kenalog. I can already see the damage-new scars and redness. I also have rosacea-I already had it before this ordeal.

Congrats on the baby. It is draining...but well worth it. Enjoy. I am a mom -kids are 6 and 9. I feel like hiding , but really can't with kids. Thanks for the advice on the kenalog. Why did the doctor say it was temporary when I told him about the dents? The other doc said the same thing....I don't get it.

I was thinking that the surgeon would be removing the lumps at their location and leaving small incision scars. Not peeling your face back to get to the lumps. That sounds really scary but it might work well. Cutting the skin around the forehead will leave a scar just not a plainly visible one. It does sound like major surgery. I hope all turns out well as this is a case I haven't seen on this forum and I have read lots. Wish I could be of more help but hopefully your docs know what they are doing.

By the way I agree with tricia about constant kenalog injections doing permanent damage. I hope you heal well and let us know how it goes if you decide to do it.

I was thinking the same thing . (about the surgery sounding very scary) I'd prefer a simpler proceedure if possible. The one described to me here on this forum sounds like a better option. I hope I can get names fron readers of docs who do this. I really don't want to go through something that sounds like a face lift style surgery.

quick quest. who did your exoderm. did you get full face or spot treatment.

Dr. Rullan, in San Diego.

quick quest. who did your exoderm. did you get full face or spot treatment.

Dr. Rullan, in San Diego.

It was full face.

Hi again. I think you should definitely stop with the kenalog since you do have rosacea. Your doctor should know they don't mix, especially long term. It sounds like you could possibly calm your skin down with elidel. It is for eczema but I had a derm recommend it to me instead of steroid creams and after a month found it really did work as well. It tells your immune system to stop overreacting and is very gentle, unlike bp and other topicals. I would cut the bp out as well. I'm no doctor, but just speaking from experience, I think you should go for the gentle route now, and turn off the immune fighting white blood cells some with the elidel. It will take time but is a safer route.

I really don't see how you could get all the silicone out with a surgery like a face lift, but maybe. I would give it some time before doing anything with a knife since your skin is so delicate at this time. Doctors always want to cut and give drugs, maybe visit a homeopathic or alternative doctor who can help you find a way to stop the allergic reaction from the inside! Just thoughts. Try to lean on family and friends to get you thru when feeling down, talk it out and you will relieve stress and help yourself heal!

Hi again. I think you should definitely stop with the kenalog since you do have rosacea. Your doctor should know they don't mix, especially long term. It sounds like you could possibly calm your skin down with elidel. It is for eczema but I had a derm recommend it to me instead of steroid creams and after a month found it really did work as well. It tells your immune system to stop overreacting and is very gentle, unlike bp and other topicals. I would cut the bp out as well. I'm no doctor, but just speaking from experience, I think you should go for the gentle route now, and turn off the immune fighting white blood cells some with the elidel. It will take time but is a safer route.

I really don't see how you could get all the silicone out with a surgery like a face lift, but maybe. I would give it some time before doing anything with a knife since your skin is so delicate at this time. Doctors always want to cut and give drugs, maybe visit a homeopathic or alternative doctor who can help you find a way to stop the allergic reaction from the inside! Just thoughts. Try to lean on family and friends to get you thru when feeling down, talk it out and you will relieve stress and help yourself heal!

Tricia,

Thanks for the encouragement. My bumps have gone down a great deal( almost completely gone) after two weeks of being on minocin. I still would like the silicone removed because I don't want to deal with this for the rest of my life. I have not had any more kenalog and won't in the future. It screwed up my skin. I lost my post exoderm smoothness that I still had after 4 years. I think ,now after reading some posts on this thread, that I'll be able to remove the filler (with some minor surgery) ,and then I can probably get an exoderm touch up on my cheek areas.