Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

so, i remember the days of clear skin too bad i haven't had one since 6th grade. i'm a sophemore in HS and i'm fed up. i just had the worst break out with sent me over the edge. after crying like a baby my mom jumped on the bandwagon of helping me. so now, it's no more proactiv for muah! and i'm a bit scared, even though proActive wasns't helping totally it was a little bit.

my regimen:

am

-cleanse w/ face wash that has tea tree oil in it

-moisturize with alo vera

pm

-cleanse w/ face wash that has tea tree oil in it

-spot w/ tea tree/jojoba

-essential oil concoction that has lavender, chamomile, and so othe junk

-moisturize with alo vera

also taking 1 500mg B5 a day and a flax seed capsule a day

i am also changing my eating habits(cutting out sugar, fat, and white foods: my mom got that from oprah)

an i am starting to excersise 3x a week.

if anybody has any other suggestion or thought please let me know. and if anyone thinks i'm insane and this certainly won't work then let me know.

by the way my acne is not severe. I have at lest five pimples on the forehead at a time, none on the nose, about three pimples on the chin, and recently my cheeks have become home to at least 6 to 7 pimples at a time if not more as well as tiny white bumps running up and down the side of my face by the hairline.

I'd say moisturize with jojoba oil instead of aloe vera. Aloe doesn't do a very good job as far as moisturizing but it does help healing.

Jessfoliation can't hurt. I've been getting some good results on my body acne and red marks from it. And you have the exfoliating part missing from your regime (it's important for clear skin).

I'd say that as well as cleansing, you might want to spot treat in the morning too. Or what I do is add a single drop of oregano oil (strongly antibacterial like TTO) to my moisturizer. This saves time and helps kill bacteria.

Oh yeah, eating flax oil with cottage cheese helps its absorbsion. It's kinda gross though.

Other then that, good luck on going natural. I'm doing the same thing after Retin-A made my acne and scarring situation way worse and gave me unhealthy looking skin, and Clindamycin didn't really help spot treatment and I've gotten better results from TTO / oregano oil. That and the fact that antibiotics are bad if you take them for prolonged periods...

If you are gonna go natural then cut the supplement(s). Also cut out any oils such as omega 3.

Whilst these help some people they make things worse or others.

Start with a clean sheet.

Tea tree oil can aggravate acne as well.

It's tough but I suggest you just use a mild head to toe baby wash by johnsons and only once a day.

The intial breakout from this is horrible.

If you cant do the intial breakout that then use a gentle tea tree (2%) cleanser or salicylic acid (2%) cleanser at most twice a day and nothing else. This will lessen the impact of the breakout. Gently but thouroughly rinse it off with luke warm water. Only use jojoba oil if you are very dry. If you are very dry you should just wash once a day.

Being gentle is the key and not overwashing. Breaking or cracking the skin causes infection and makes you more suceptible to acne.

Avoid histamine rich foods such as canned foods which make face red.

Careful what you apply on there being so young... You say your acne isn't severe, you might just grow out of most of it.

I've had acne since middle school (I'm 19 now) and it's only gotten worse, however I consider my acne moderate, and from what you described, it's alot worse than yours.

My brother, who is 21 now, used to have pretty bad acne. However, he has grown out of it almost completely. Just don't ruin your skin with all those harsh chemicals and stuff (I see you're trying for a herbal natural remedy now; good) while you're still so young. After being 18-20 and your acne doesn't go away, then KILL IT with whatever you can find. That's my view anyway. Lemme know how the herbal treatment works for you, I've considered it.

Guest Gentle~Rain

Step on over to the diet and holistic part of this place.....there's oodles of info there, I've been reading it the past few days and learning a lot!!!!

Use Witch hazel as a toner..it's amazing, natural and doesnt dry out your skin..it has strong antiseptic properties...u can find it at pharmacies

I have gone natural as well and I think it is the best decision I have ever made. Why introduce more chemicals into our bodies if we don't have to (I'm not saying that this is for everyone, just what I think is best for me).

I also want to say that your new lifestyle will improve your health regardless if it improves your acne. Exercise and cutting out the junk from your diet is always a good path to good health.

My regimen:

am

wash with Neem oil soap

toner made from ACV, aspirin, green tea, tea tree oil, lavendar oil, and ylang ylang oil

tea tree oil spot treat any blemishes

lavendar oil spot treat red marks

aloe vera

If I'm going out and putting on makeup, I apply a thin layer of Milk of Magnesia to help control my oiliness. I've heard good things about jojoba oil, so that's the next thing I will add to my arsenal.

pm

Basically the same except that I also add a Neem Leaf cream after the toner

3 or 4 times a week I alternate masks made of:

Aztec Clay and aspirin mixed with ACV

Neem Bark treatment mask

Aspirin mask

Supplements:

B5 complex

Evening Primrose Oil

Omega-3 Oil

Zinc

Tons and tons of water

Keep in mind that my face is one tough cookie and is rarely sensitive to anything, so with your young skin, much of what I do may irritate yours.

That's perfect. I've had the same "Eureka" as you, about a year ago. I just wished I figured this out when I was in high school. I'm in college now, and I'm clear. I made a seperate thread for this. Here's the link. Really good information for you, and will assure you that what you're doing is right too.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=40303

Here's the basic overview of it:

Basically, our skin naturally, was structured for it to be able to control and maintain itself, just like how our body produces certain amount of hormones and etc to maintain homeostasis. It produces the optimum amount of moisture, and etc... Naturally, it's not flawful and acne prone. (There are exceptions however, just like some people are born without limbs, some people are born with a skin very prone to acne. Now, of course I took this into consideration so I wrote down on my first post who I believe would benefit the most from this (ie: people who have no acne anywhere else except their face))

Now, the problem with some of us is that we use SO much medications, chemicals, and etc at our mild or even low moderate acne that eventually and overtime, the chemicals contained on these products (BP included) destroy our skin structures. In analogy, it's just like bombarding a city to eliminate all the bad guys, but at the same time, killing innocent ones.

-

and guess what, it works, and I'm clear because of it.

Hello there, I believe you are on the right track towards healthy skin. I have had a very bad breakout (all over the face) about half a year ago for no reason. I went to the doctor and even spent a bomb on facials, but nothing really helps significantly. Then I got fed-up and decided to take things into my own hands and went natural too. Am now perfectly clear. ;)

Like I've said, you are on the right track with the exercise and diet changes, but to add on though, also cut out coffee if you happen to drink it. I was a heavy coffee drinker (about 4-5 cups daily) and have now cut down to half a cup in the morning. Does wonders to my skin and general health, really.

Also, try to drink lots and lots of plain water, but do not try to indulge in a large amount at one time. I was told by a traditional health practitioner that 'the right way' to drink water is to first drink half a cup, then come back to it about 5 minutes later. I do not fully understand the rationale behind this, but I was told that it will be better for the body.

About spot-treating with tea tree oil, I find that it's better to mix the tea tree oil with jojoba oil before I apply them on my face. Applying tea tree oil neat can be a little harsh on sensitive skin, and most treated acne-prone skin tends to be sensitive.

A good natural mask that I've discovered is the carrot mask. Blend carrot and onion in ratio of 2:1. I use about half a medium size carrot and a quarter onion. Mix in a tablespoon of honey. Add a few drops of lemon juice for oily skin. Apply the mixture on the face and leave it on for about 10-30 minutes before washing it off. It's a messy mask to do, but I find that it helps sooth big painful pimples tremendously.

I hope that helps. Generally, it takes time for results to show, so be patient. I'm sure your skin will clear up soon. :)