Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DJ_Paul

Antibacterial Soaps - Good or Bad for you?

I've heard that antibacterial soaps aren't supposed to be good for you. On the other hand, the derm gave me a Cetaphil Antibacterial Gentle Cleansing Bar.

Why do people say antibacterial soap is bad?

Also, how long do you have to wash for to kill the bad stuff (whether the soap is antibacterial or not)? I assume wash it gentle for like 15-20 seconds.

IMO they say it's bad bc of antibacterial resistance and/or bc not having enough 'bugs' around you doesn't keep your immune system up to speed, so to speak.

It really depends on the active ingredient. Triclosan is taking a beating in the news these days, but there isn't rock solid evidence to support all the claims being made. I think the primary concern is that it is overused by children whose bacterial resistance is reduced by using antibacterial soaps. Studies show that kids that grow up with pets or on farms have more resistance as they age because of their exposure to dander and bacteria.

With that being said, if you are uncomfortable using it, there are alternatives to triclosan (PCMX, triclocarbon, tea tree oil, neem oil, et cetera).

I don't think they are bad but I wouldn't use them on my face because it might be a little too harsh, IMO.

I have a cetaphil antibacterial soap bar as well.. Im using it in my regimen now.. it works really good for the first week and the more you use it i believe its a little too much. My skin doesnt feel "too great" when washing with the soap bar anymore and i have to use moisturizer now because its kinda drying me out..before i didnt have to. Maybe it`ll work for a long time for you but maybe consider washing with it every other day to keep the consistency.