Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

It seems like azelaic acid is a really good acne/red mark treatment. Im going to be going to a derm soon and I want to try this, but I suppose i cant ask for it eh? like would he have to recommend it for me or can I ask to have it? i know, stupid question, haha, but just curious!

Tell them you want one product to help with new acne and marks, and you've heard good things about Azelex. You can (and should) ask them about it, bc you know better than your derm how your skin reacts to different products and what you want out of a Rx.

Azelex is 20% azelaic acid. Ask for the generic, it should be cheaper. Also ask if you can combine it with a topical antibiotic like erythromycin or clindamycin. I hear azelaic acid makes your skin itch.

Could you also ask if you need to wear a sunscreen? I read a research saying that you don't have to because azelaic acid has no phototoxic effects on skin.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...156&query_hl=43

Azelex is 20% azelaic acid. Ask for the generic, it should be cheaper. Also ask if you can combine it with a topical antibiotic like erythromycin or clindamycin. I hear azelaic acid makes your skin itch.

Could you also ask if you need to wear a sunscreen? I read a research saying that you don't have to because azelaic acid has no phototoxic effects on skin.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...156&query_hl=43

Finacea is another option that may be better if you have sensitive skin, bc it something more like 15% but I can't remember quite what, it could be 16. I did experience some burning/itching when I used it, so I do wish that I had known to ask about trying the Finacea (which is marketed for rosacea but will still work for acne). As far as the sunscreen goes, it doesn't increase sun sensitivity, but that doesn't mean that you dont need a ss anyway =)

I had a really bad experience with azelaic acid. About 3 years ago maybe I went to the derm for my acne (first time, last time) and I was put on Finevin (20% acelaic acid) which I don't think they make anymore, and Differin. It felt greasy and burnt my skin a ton. Perhaps it would have helped, but I (in ALL honestly) couldn't bare to put this stuff on my skin for more than two days at a time. If I were you, I'd be careful.

I don't know you can combine Differin with azelaic acid. It may have been a bit harsh for your skin to use both. Perhaps alternating between the two instead of using them at the same time would have had a better effect.

Azelex is very good,ask your derm if you can get something that will mix together with your other topicals. I used azelex for many years it's very gentle and won't make you break out initially before you get better, IT WILL make you burn and itch when you first put it on i'd say for about a week.. but NO BREAKOUTS.There was one posted who said this made him/her worse,I highly doubt it was this one,could easily have been the DIFFERIN as ts supposed to be gentle but causes extreme redness and flareups for about 6-8 weeks... using together I could see how one would blame it on azelex. If your going to use differen ask to be switched to retin-a micro it's much better (initial breakout also) with this but it will help everything from pores to scarring and very good for speding up healing,just need those crucial 6-8 weeks. To make sure you get Azelex ask for a topical (feel free to mention you heard of azelex) and tell him/her you want one that has NO initial breakout period.

Good luck,

Rich

OH if you use azelex sine it was NOT tested on animals.. watch your dog/cat licking it off your face they LOVE IT!!! Makes me wonder whats in there lol!

Azelex (or Finevin) will cost you $40 at least. Apparently, insurance does not include it in their formulary but tells you to use tretinoin or Differin instead. It sucks!

I had a really bad experience with azelaic acid. About 3 years ago maybe I went to the derm for my acne (first time, last time) and I was put on Finevin (20% acelaic acid) which I don't think they make anymore, and Differin. It felt greasy and burnt my skin a ton. Perhaps it would have helped, but I (in ALL honestly) couldn't bare to put this stuff on my skin for more than two days at a time. If I were you, I'd be careful.

Same here. My derm put me on it many years ago when it was brand new. The itching was really unbearable, I endured it for a month, but it just didn't suit my skin.