Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

after reading all of the posts regarding tazorac i decided to post a journal to document my progress.

i am a 24 year old female with mild acne. i have been suffering with acne since i was 15 years old and have tried most every product available to me. i started out with moderate acne and i became deeply depressed because of it. after 6 years of anti-depressants i have stopped taking them (as of 5 months ago - paxil 40mg/day). when i was 17 i took accutane and was clear and happier than i have ever been, but alas my acne came back and would fluctuate from mild to moderate and causing my depression to come back. i'm now at a point where i don't want to have to deal with acne anymore, i am an adult for crying out loud! i want to not worry about make-up when i go outside and be free knowing that my skin is clear and i don't have to worry about sweat causing my make-up to run. so as of last thursday i went to the derm. she gave me zoderm wash 6.5%, zoderm redi-pads 6.5% and tazorac .05% cream. i've been using the zoderm products since friday and today paid the $111.00 for the tazorac (my health plan hasn't gotten the release form from the doc yet to unclassify it as a cosmetic product). the only reason i paid for it was that i wanted to get this started and get the initial breakout over with, which i am hoping that it is mild because i don't handle break-outs well!

ok, here is my routine.

morning

shampoo: neutorgena t-gel

conditioner: neutrogena t-gel

bodywash: zest bar soap

wash: zoderm wash 6.5%

cream: zoderm redi-pads 6.5%

lotion: eucerin intensive mosturizer

make-up: glytone flesh tinted spot treatment

vitamins: olay multi-pack for skin

when needed medication: xanac .5mg for anxiety (it helps me not care if you can see my pimples so much)

night

wash: zoderm wash 6.5%

cream: tazorac .05% cream

alternate nights:

neutrogrena bp wash/mask - i use it as a mask every couple of days. i don't know if it does anything but i love the cool tingly feeling it gives my skin

day 1:

i think i used to much of the tazorac cream because it looks greasy on my skin, but my face doesn't feel greasy so hopefully i won't wake up shiny. i already have oily skin and have to use blotting sheets 2x a day to control the shine. i just got a call from the derm and she actually told me that because my insurance was being difficult they were going to try something else but i told her that i went ahead and paid the full price for the product. so now instead of filling out the paper work to release it to the insurance she wants to wait until my follow up to see if i like using tazorac. i don't like that to much because i don't think the 30g tube is going to last long enough for real improvements. she said it should last 6 weeks but i don't see that happening! hopefully when i got for the next apt. (feb 17) they will just fill out the forms so i can get my refill for $8.00 instead of $111.00. it sucks that i had to pay that much, but i want to get this started already! she could have switched me to retin-a micro but that didn't work well for me when i was a teenager, although i suppose it could work now. who knows. i have a lot of red marks on my skin right now and my chin has pimples on it that aren't noticeable unless you REALLY look for them. there are a couple of pimples around my jawline and around my cheeks, but nothing major. mostly a lot of red marks. if i REALLY look hard i can find little pimples of my skin that i can pop, which i did last night - hence all the red marks. i also have 2 scab type things, one of the left side of my lip and the other between my eyes where my glasses rest. unfortunately my husband took the neosporin because he cut his foot so i can't apply that tonight. hopefully i won't wake up to anything gross.

wish me luck!

day 2 was the same. a few new pimples on my chin came up and at night i applied less and didn't experience such a greasy side effect.

day 3 - my skin is oily, more so than usual and i think that if i took away my mosturizer it wouldn't be so bad, unfortunately my concealer sits better ontop of the mosturizer so i will just continue to use blotting sheets. after washing my face i noticed that it is peeling a lot. i don't really understand how a product that makes your skin so soft and sometimes greasy can cause this. i haven't had any new pimples come up since yesterday. i recently popped a few that were going to come up eventually, hopefully the redmarks from that will fade by morning. the marks i have from previous pimples are fading nicely, but they all seem to be scabbing and peeling off. it's rather strange, and the skin around my nose/upper lip area and chin is peeling pretty bad. all the flakes go away when i apply the tazorac though. anyhow, that's my update. hopefully when i wake up i won't look worse!

Tazorac will cause peeling; cleansers that have salycic acid will definitely do it too. Tazorac is there to help grow new skin underneath the existing layer, therefore it will peel over time reavealing newer, smoother skin. At the same time, it's peeling away blemishes so it's good to keep using it for a while.

Apply very little Taz; it's strong.

I'm pretty sure a 30g tube will last you 6 weeks. You're only supposed to apply a pea-sized amount on your entire face.

ok, so it's day 9 and i have a few new blemishes, no big deal though. the area around my mouth has a dry tight feeling but it's not peeling. when i wash my face i notice a lot of peeling but it's nothing that looks bad because it's only noticeable right after i dry it and ofcourse then i apply the zoderm pads and it's not a big deal. my main problem right now is how oily my skin is. it's terrible, way worse then it was before and it seems to be in my t-zone area. 1/2 hour into getting ready in the morning and i've already got to use the oil blotters. it's bad, anyhow have a problem with this?

im not on tazorac im on differin and clidamycin but my face is extremely oily now i just try to ignore it! ewww :(

ok, it's now day 15 and my skin is doing pretty good. it's that time of the month so my skin has broke out with a couple of small pimples and one annoying larger one on my upper lip. it's now scabby and painful since i was stupid and tried to pop it yesterday (nothing but oil came out). hopefully that one will go away. i'm still experiencing some minor peeling, the bad peeling around my nose, chin and mouth has started to diminish and it's much more manageable then it was. my concealer is covering things much better because my overall skin color has evened out, only now the oil blotting sheets are removing some of it - which is weird because it's never done that before. my skin is still pretty oily, although now i think it's starting to adjust, i don't have to blot so frequently now, but it's still twice a day. my question now is, since i've started the peeling will the bad initial breakout happen or is this all i am going to experience?

tomorrow marks the beginning of the 4th week. i'm not so happy right now. lately i've been getting these horribly emotional periods and it only happens at the very end of it. it's very strange and it makes me sad because all i do is cry and it's always on a day that's important or that i had previously made plans and then end up looking like a jackass because i didn't go. i hate weekends like this, they are so wasteful.

so the skin update - i'm not sure if it's because i seem to break out during the end of my period or because i'm starting to see the initial breakout but my skin hates me right now. i've got 4 scabs/zits on the area of skin between my nose and my lip on my left side. a painful one that came up yesterday on the crease of my chin and some other sporatic smaller pimples scattered on my face. not to mention all of my red marks and healing scabs from older pimples. i don't think i would feel so negative about myself had i not broke out around my lip. i hate getting breakouts there, they never cover up right and i'm always way more self concious about those then anyother ones that i get. ugh, this sucks. hopefully by the end of this coming week they will be gone. i can't handle another bad weekend and i always seem to fear that the longer i keep this up the worse my marriage will get and the less friends i will be able to hold on to. some days i just feel like giving up.

ok so i am 2 days into the 4th week and i think i am starting to get the initial breakout. i am breaking out in areas i don't normally breakout - my forhead. they are small little pink marks right now and hopefully when i wake up they won't be more noticeable because there are like 8 of them all clustered together. i've been noticing more whiteheads pop up every morning. yesterday i woke up with 2 small white heads and another one formed today. i've got 2 persistant zits on the side of my chin and again on my upper lip - left side. that area just won't stop breaking out. my cheeks are smooth but i know there's acne there i can see it when i tilt my head a certain way in the light but looking directly at it you can't see it. i just want the supid shit to go away already! i pray to god those pimples on my forehead don't get worse. i hate my skin right now. i'm to old for this.

why do so many people have such flawless skin? it's not fair!

tomorrow starts the beginning of week 5 and i'm still breaking out. i made the mistake of popping a small pimple and now i'm left with a huge red mark on my cheek. it sucks. i also popped a few around my mouth, chin area but i don't think it will be to red tomorrow. my forehead is still breaking out more so then it ever has. it's annoying and i hate it right now. i'm hoping that things will clear up soon. my derm told me it takes 6 weeks to start to improvement, but if i'm breaking out on week 5 what will week 6 look like?

Retinoids are really weird, in that they tend to kick in all of a sudden. When I used Retin-A Micro, I broke out constantly for about five weeks, and then miraculously in week six I began to clear up immediately. It was like the acne just stopped dead in its tracks. Believe me, you'll be happy once the initial breakout stops.

Retinoids are really weird, in that they tend to kick in all of a sudden. When I used Retin-A Micro, I broke out constantly for about five weeks, and then miraculously in week six I began to clear up immediately. It was like the acne just stopped dead in its tracks. Believe me, you'll be happy once the initial breakout stops.

ive been using tazaric for like 20 weeks i havent broke out once im not yet clear but i havent broke out once very strange.

ok so here is is, first day of week 6 and i'm still breaking out in the usual places, chin/upper lip area/forehead and occasionally on the cheeks. i just got back from my follow up apt to see how i was progressing and she seems to think it's going good so far. i told her i wanted to stick it out for another 6 weeks to see what happens. maybe i just take longer to react to medication and i need more time? so i have enough left in my tube to last a few more days before refilling. the only problem now is trying to get the prescription authorized for my insurance to cover it. i don't want to have to wait 4 weeks for them to get things moving i don't have that much left in my tube! hopefully it will happen quickly so i don't have to shell out another 100 bucks to get it refilled, but unfortunately i will if i have to. she also recommended putting the 6.5 zoderm redi pads on AFTER i apply to tazorac at night to help with the healing process. the zoderm pads are bp in a urea form, so i'm going to try this tonight. i have had some success with spot treating with the neutrogeana cleanser/mask 2.5 bp after i put on the tazorac. it seems to expedite the healing so i don't try and pick at them. so my next appointment is in 8 weeks. hopefully by that time i won't have new breakouts.

and thanks for the input guys. i was begining to think that my skin just wasn't going to like this stuff because most people that i read about had cleared up by week 5 and 6. are you both still on the retinoid, and what week are you on now?

^^^ you NEED to wear a HIGH PPD sunscreen. its IMPERATIVE! using retinoids without sunscreen will rapidly accelerate premature aging and sun damage. you're damaging your skin more than you know if you dont wear stable HIGh PPD sunscreens religiously..

ok so here is is, first day of week 6 and i'm still breaking out in the usual places, chin/upper lip area/forehead and occasionally on the cheeks. i just got back from my follow up apt to see how i was progressing and she seems to think it's going good so far. i told her i wanted to stick it out for another 6 weeks to see what happens. maybe i just take longer to react to medication and i need more time? so i have enough left in my tube to last a few more days before refilling. the only problem now is trying to get the prescription authorized for my insurance to cover it. i don't want to have to wait 4 weeks for them to get things moving i don't have that much left in my tube! hopefully it will happen quickly so i don't have to shell out another 100 bucks to get it refilled, but unfortunately i will if i have to. she also recommended putting the 6.5 zoderm redi pads on AFTER i apply to tazorac at night to help with the healing process. the zoderm pads are bp in a urea form, so i'm going to try this tonight. i have had some success with spot treating with the neutrogeana cleanser/mask 2.5 bp after i put on the tazorac. it seems to expedite the healing so i don't try and pick at them. so my next appointment is in 8 weeks. hopefully by that time i won't have new breakouts.

and thanks for the input guys. i was begining to think that my skin just wasn't going to like this stuff because most people that i read about had cleared up by week 5 and 6. are you both still on the retinoid, and what week are you on now?

Mmm, well, you're not going to like my story, but I was on RAM for almost two years. However, around six months after starting it, my acne seemed to come back. It definitely wasn't as bad as it was before RAM, but it was to the point where I was wondering what the point was in going through the awful initial breakout just to be almost back to square one. The acne I would get would last longer and be more tenacious than it had been previously. Plus, my skin was oily as hell. Ridiculous oily.

Anyway, last August I went to the doc, and she recommended Accutane. I'm just now finishing my course and am so much clearer than I was when I started. Plus, I have zero oil (which will probably come back after being off 'tane for a bit, but hopefully not nearly as bad as it was before). Anyway, my doctor is adamant that I go back on another retinoid now that I'm done with 'tane, so I'm asking for Tazorac, because I've heard it's much stronger and more effective than RAM is. Hopefully, this is the case, and that it manages to prevent me from getting crappy, stubborn acne again!

Hope you start to see some good results soon. I'm rooting for you!

i am half way into week 6 and i'm still getting breakouts. my forehead has cleared up nicely and my cheeks are doing pretty good - just red marks leftover. the problem area is still my upper lip/under my nose. i am still continuously breaking out there. i popped a small whitehead least night there and when i woke up it formed a type of blood blister - very weird and it was much more noticeable. when i got home today i took the top of it (it didn't ooze to much or anything) and it is much smaller now. unfortunately i've got one identical to it (albeit on a larger scale) right next to it, so hopefully i can get that under control too. monday and tuesday night i tried putting the bp over the tazorac but i've found that it is to irritating to my skin because now it is very flaky, much more so then usual. so now i will only spot treat, that seems to work best. i'm hoping that my problem areas will come down some by saturday - i'm going to a party for a friend that i haven't seen in about 9 years, so i'm a little nervous.

and i know i probably should wear a sunscreen and i do when i know i'm going to be outside for long periods of time, but normally i don't. i don't like the smell and i don't like the way it makes my skin feel, even the neutrogena brands make my skin feel weird.

oh and carys - i was on accutane too and i loved it. that was about 5 years ago and my acne just got so damn persistant! finally i had enough and went to the derm a little over a month ago. hopefully i'll start to clear up soon. when i got off of accutane i just used over the counter products, i may have had a longer period of clear skin had i been on a retinoid. by the way, what is RAM? i've never heard of that. and good luck to you too! when do you stop taking accutane?

I'm 22 years old. This is my 4th week using Tazorac cream at night. In the mornings I'm using Benzaclin (which has BP and clindamicin). Since I started using them I broke out on my forehead, a little bit on my cheeks, and around my chin. Around my chin is weird, because I get very little ones but many of them. The Benzaclin burns my face, so I started to apply pure aloe vera on top of both Benzaclin and Taz. I am also taking Bactrim once a day. I hope the medicines start working soon!!!

i am half way into week 6 and i'm still getting breakouts. my forehead has cleared up nicely and my cheeks are doing pretty good - just red marks leftover. the problem area is still my upper lip/under my nose. i am still continuously breaking out there. i popped a small whitehead least night there and when i woke up it formed a type of blood blister - very weird and it was much more noticeable. when i got home today i took the top of it (it didn't ooze to much or anything) and it is much smaller now. unfortunately i've got one identical to it (albeit on a larger scale) right next to it, so hopefully i can get that under control too. monday and tuesday night i tried putting the bp over the tazorac but i've found that it is to irritating to my skin because now it is very flaky, much more so then usual. so now i will only spot treat, that seems to work best. i'm hoping that my problem areas will come down some by saturday - i'm going to a party for a friend that i haven't seen in about 9 years, so i'm a little nervous.

and i know i probably should wear a sunscreen and i do when i know i'm going to be outside for long periods of time, but normally i don't. i don't like the smell and i don't like the way it makes my skin feel, even the neutrogena brands make my skin feel weird.

oh and carys - i was on accutane too and i loved it. that was about 5 years ago and my acne just got so damn persistant! finally i had enough and went to the derm a little over a month ago. hopefully i'll start to clear up soon. when i got off of accutane i just used over the counter products, i may have had a longer period of clear skin had i been on a retinoid. by the way, what is RAM? i've never heard of that. and good luck to you too! when do you stop taking accutane?

RAM is just short for Retin-A Micro, which was the last retinoid I used. I'm hoping I can get a long period of clear skin, if not forever from Accutane, which I just finished this week. I picked up my prescription for Taz earlier (.1% cream) and I cannot believe how expensive this stuff is w/out insurance!!! $227! Fortunately, my husband has great insurance, so I only had to pay $9 for it.

Anyway, thanks for the good wishes, and I hope you and I both can get some majorly clear skin from this stuff!

well tomorrow is week 7 and i'm STILL breaking out. maybe .05% isn't doing the trick? my t-zone area is where i am getting all the breakouts. i seem to never clear up in those areas, everyday a new one will start to form and it's not like it's just one, they come in clusters under the skin - not noticeable unless you look for them, but you can feel them when you wash your face. i'm getting very frustrated and i feel like i should see some results by now. i think my skin is worse off now then it was before i started. i'm hoping that it's just purging my skin and soon VERY soon i will start to see some good results. it sucks, i reunited with old friends yesterday and one of the girls had bad acne in highschool and now her face is soooooo smooth and clear and the other one never got acne to begin with and there was me, still getting acne like a 15 year old girl. i just don't know what to do anymore. why do some people get acne and others do not? it doesn't make any sense.

carys - is your skin clear now from the accutane?

Yeah, my face was pretty much clear, aside from a few dots here and there. My doctor said that wasn't a big enough deal to continue on with a longer course, so she gave me Taz and yasmin. SO far, I haven't seen an increase in acne. IN fact, I'd say I haven't had a new zit for a few days. Some people, for whatever reason, don't completely clear until they get off the medication completely. Maybe I'll be one of those lucky people?

it's possible. i don't want to sound discouraging, but i was on accutane for 5-6 months at 40mg 2x day and at the end of my treatment i wasnt completely clear. i still got a few SMALL pimples and had leftover red marks. a few months after the treatment stopped my acne came back, so it wasn't my miracle cure all but it did give me a few months of happiness that's for sure.

week 7 - so since i'm not happy about my results i have decided to try out the b5 treatment along with the topical treatment. i started today. i am hoping that it will get rid of all my excess oil production and help with the breakouts that i am STILL getting. i had another breakdown last night, i cried for a few hours before going to bed and it made my husband upset because he wants me to get over this issue i've got about wanting clear skin and thinking that by having clear skin all my emotional problems will go away. he'd rather i deal with not having clear skin and enjoy life. but unfortnately i don't know if i can do that. i can't just go outside all of the sudden without my concealer on and not freak out when people look at me because all i'd be thinking about is how they can notice everything that is wrong with my skin and i won't be able to look at anyone in the eye - heck i can't even do that now! ugh, it's so frustrating. is it possible that in week 7 i am getting the initial breakout and by week 9 or 10 i could start seeing some results? someone help me with that one. everything i've read says that i should have started to see results already and i haven't. i'm getting soooo discouraged.

Hi there,

I believe you should keep on using Taz. Go to this website http://www.tazorac.com/adult_ba.asp

There you can see that Taz is supposed to work within week 12.

I am using it too. The inital breakouts make me sometimes to think about switching to another medication, but constancy is the key for this I believe.

Why don't you try changing your diet for a while as well? I got my acne two years ago, just when I was starting to study and work at the same time. I started to be more stressed and anxious, so I started to eat more junk food than ever.... I believe that it might be one factor affecting my acne. I have seen improvements in my skin since I started to eat healthier. I also went to an accupunture place and the doctor recommended a diet for me, and I believe it is helping.

Just hang in there until week 12 :dance:

it's possible. i don't want to sound discouraging, but i was on accutane for 5-6 months at 40mg 2x day and at the end of my treatment i wasnt completely clear. i still got a few SMALL pimples and had leftover red marks. a few months after the treatment stopped my acne came back, so it wasn't my miracle cure all but it did give me a few months of happiness that's for sure.

week 7 - so since i'm not happy about my results i have decided to try out the b5 treatment along with the topical treatment. i started today. i am hoping that it will get rid of all my excess oil production and help with the breakouts that i am STILL getting. i had another breakdown last night, i cried for a few hours before going to bed and it made my husband upset because he wants me to get over this issue i've got about wanting clear skin and thinking that by having clear skin all my emotional problems will go away. he'd rather i deal with not having clear skin and enjoy life. but unfortnately i don't know if i can do that. i can't just go outside all of the sudden without my concealer on and not freak out when people look at me because all i'd be thinking about is how they can notice everything that is wrong with my skin and i won't be able to look at anyone in the eye - heck i can't even do that now! ugh, it's so frustrating. is it possible that in week 7 i am getting the initial breakout and by week 9 or 10 i could start seeing some results? someone help me with that one. everything i've read says that i should have started to see results already and i haven't. i'm getting soooo discouraged.

When your acne came back, was it as bad as it was pre-'tane, or did it take some additional time to get as bad as it had been before?

I'd keep up with the Taz for a few more weeks, at least until you hit the 12-14 mark. If it's not working by then, maybe you should up the script to .1%. Are you using the gel or cream version? I've heard for really stubborn stuff, it's better to go with the gel formulation, although irritation and sensitivity are also increased on that particular formulation as well.

Good luck! I hope you start seeing the results you want soon.

it came back about 3 months after i got off of accutane. it wasn't as bad at first but about 7 months later my skin started to explode again. they weren't as large as before accutane but i was getting a lot of little ones. oh and i use the cream.

so it's the start of week 8 - i went on a popping spree yesterday and now my forehead looks like crap - lots of red marks and one or two small bumps. my cheeks look ok, my left side is mostly clear with red marks and my right cheek has 4 healing zits with sporadic red marks. the area of skin between my nose and my lip is still a pain though - the right side has cleared (for the moment) but the left side has 2 healing zits and one larger bump that came up on saturday. my chin looks ok right now, a few healing red marks. over all i think my skin looks better now then it did last week but it's not a whole lot better, especially since my forehead looks like crap! this is also week 2 of the b5 treatment. i don't know if i can notice anything from that just yet, but my skin didn't seem as oily this afternoon as it usually is. normally i use up about 5 oil sheets (90% covered with oil) and after 6 hours i only needed 3 with 50% oil absorbed on them. so hopefully that wasn't a fluke. i haven't washed my face yet so i don't know how terrible it looks underneath the make-up but we'll see. oh and i'm chopping my hair off tomorrow (it's just above my butt right now). i just hope the redmarks and bumps on my forehead go away - before i started using tazorac i didn't have to use make-up there because i didn't have any breakouts. eh, they should go away soon right?

Ive been using tazorac for about a year now...another waste of money. Try smoothbeam laser, that helped clear up my acne a lot!