Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PetPeeve

Insurance Coverage Info

I would like to start this thread in order to get some feedback on insurance types and plans that have been known to cover or partially cover cosmetic proceedures for scar revision. One of our own forum moderators, animegirle, had dermabrasion covered by her insurance. I have recently PM'd her to learn more.

I like many here know that when it comes to cosmetic proceedures insurance aren't your best bet for coverage, but at the same time I have been told to check with your insurance plan just in case. I have CIGNA Health Care through my father's employee plan. I would never dream of employee plans, especially those cheap companies, to cover things such as cosmetic problems. Therefore, I don't exactly count on my father's plan, but I will check with them nonetheless.

I have also heard of loopholes where if your deformity was of a cause of a condition, then scar revision is not considered cosmetic and covered by insurance--or at least partially. Truth is, I don't know jack squat on insurance, and I don't expect anyone know about this--it can get pretty complex! I am still being treated by my derm for active acne, by the way. (Just sporadic breakouts, but nothing like before my tane days). He reccomended 6 microdermabrasions, plus 4 laser treatments (Smoothbeam). I've already heard a lot of the downsides of laser resurfacing through other's experience here and I know my derm is laying it easy on me because he knows I'm just a student with nothing ($$) :boohoo: ~lol~ But it's really all I can afford at the moment. He and I know, there are better techniques out there that will help me, but they are just too expensive for me (I will be paying for everything myself).

I am trying to collect as much info as possible on insurance if anyone has heard of anyone having theirs partially covered because it may be that I may not have to suffer the financial burden 100% alone.

If anyone else like me is interested in keeping this thread active, although you may not have info to contribute, please help me keep the topic bumped for new or passing members that do have info to contribute.

~Thanks~

GD2005,

Sorry to rain on your parade but rarely ever are cosmetic procedures covered by health insurance. Do I believe that the mental drain of scarring can have a negative impact on your health? Yes for sure. Are the insurance companies going to go for it? No. Even if you switched insurance companies most will not cover your scarring if it was a pre-existing condition. The other drawback for insurance companies is where is the limit for these procedures? For example what if you chose a procedure and it scarred you even more? Is the insurance company then responsible to fix that even though you and your doctor chose the procedure? Doesn't seem fair for the insurance company to keep paying does it? Also there would be a real big question on when would a person's scarring be at an acceptable level. For some it would never be acceptable.

I would be interested however to hear from animegirl on how expensive her insurance was and what type it was since her dermabrasions were covered. I am pretty sure there is a hefty deductible for cosmetic procedures too.

That is really what I was afraid of. Although I pretty much always knew it couldn't happen. But, yes it would be interesting in knowing what was the extense of animegirle's scarring and what insurance did she have. Of course it is a concrete assurance that if you end up with worse scarring after a cosmetic proceedure a company wouldn't assume the responsibility and as for mental drainage--bah! Even I wouldn't fall for that if I were working for an insurance co. There are small definitions although, of what is considered a medical condition. Acne is considered medical and covered by insurance. Deformities such as scarring occurring for this has been known to be covered, I just don't know by what companies. I like you, also believe that insurance is most likely a dead end, but it wouldn't hurt to ask tho. I can't wait to hear from animegirle.

you either have to:

a) join the US military or become a dependent. switch your health plan to 'on base care' and voila, everything you could ever want, from skin resurfacing to rhinoplasy is top quality and 100% freee.

b) have your doctor bill the appointment as 'office visit' rather than 'skin peel,' basically get a doctor who's sympathetic and willing to lie to mean insurance companies for you lol. there are always loopholes to get what you want, like having your doc tell insurance it causes emotional distress or it's somehow harmful to your health.

~Lol~ I knew there were ways to get around it, but jumping off A-10 twin engine jet crafts with nothing but a parachute is a little extreme, and trust me I believe derms and insurance co's work in conjuction to prevent ill medical claims. I bet derms get their little commissions somewhere on the side so I doubt there are many doc's willing to file sympathetic claims for their patients.

~Lol~ I knew there were ways to get around it, but jumping off A-10 twin engine jet crafts with nothing but a parachute is a little extreme, and trust me I believe derms and insurance co's work in conjuction to prevent ill medical claims. I bet derms get their little commissions somewhere on the side so I doubt there are many doc's willing to file sympathetic claims for their patients.

i bet private practice docs wouldn't be willng to do this, cause then they woudln't get compensated enough.. but my derm works at a big hospital and gets paid the same no matter what so its no skin off her back. ive been going to the same one for a lonnnng time and she's kind of a family friend anyway so i guess its just a little favor. but i've heard of other people's doctors doing this all the time too, you just have to ask. most are sympathetic to the rediculous costs of healthcare and want the best for you.

Yes, I see what you say because somewhere hidden in the abyss are prolly some doc's who might be willing to help you out. I have an orthodontist who saw my situation in regards to braces. He usually charges about $2500, but he let me off on $900 because he saw that I really needed them. It also helps when they come from the same barrio (neighborhood) as you!~

Some doc's also advocate for those in need of good health care plans and sometimes they write articles on their opinions. It's good to look those doc's up--if not, I think the last resort sometimes, if your REALLY desperate, is to make yourself a guniea pig essentially, and lend yourself to those student/doc programs. Sometimes it is free, sometimes there is still a fee, but nothing compared to a real doc. I wouldn't want to do that tho. Scar revision can be delicate and I wouldn't want to end up more messed up than how I started.

Although, I would be completely afraid of asking my derm of the possibilty of him claiming a doc's visit rather than a skin peel. I don't think he would be willing to do that for his own reasons. The lady at the counter from the very beginning made it clear I understood this wasn't covered by insurance. It made me feel as if they just cared about money from the outlining they gave me.