Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DJ_Paul

Does Tazorac help with red marks?

Posted

The reason I ask is because I don't really have any active acne right now - mainly just alot of red bumps. My doctor put me on Keflex (500 mg, twice a day) and said to use Tazorac at night. So I'm wondering if Tazorac helps with getting rid of acne and red bumps, or if it's mainly used for prevention of new acne? Hope this makes sense.. thanks ya'll. :)

Posted

The reason I ask is because I don't really have any active acne right now - mainly just alot of red bumps. My doctor put me on Keflex (500 mg, twice a day) and said to use Tazorac at night. So I'm wondering if Tazorac helps with getting rid of acne and red bumps, or if it's mainly used for prevention of new acne? Hope this makes sense.. thanks ya'll. :)

Yep, it sure does help get rid of hyperpigmentation marks. My derm told me to use it when I told him I wanted something to help get rid of marks. It is supposed to prevent new acne from forming and help heal acne marks faster.

Posted

Just an FYI, I know your derm prob said this, but you NEED to use a good sunscreen if you're on Taz.

Posted

Can anybody tell me how tazorac works?

Posted

Basically it speeds up your cell cycle, supposedly meaning that where your skin would renew itself in a month, a retinoid can take that down to as little as 6 days. A side effect from this is that your pores do not clog as easily. It also can thin the epidermis while thickening the dermis. If you do not use ss, this means that the deeper tissue of your face (the one where most wrinkles are formed) is more succeptable to UV rays bc there is less defense offered by the epidermis. Bc of speeding up the cell cycle and thickening the dermis, Taz is also used as an antiaging treatment, the recommended dosage of which is working up to being able to apply it every day, stay at ever day for a year, and then go to once ever third night (it should always be used at night) after that. HTH

Posted

Thanks for the explanation. Does it matter how much lotion you put on? In other words, is too much lotion bad for you? Just wondering because I kinda put on my lotion a bit conservatively (kind of like with Tazorac), but if it's okay to "load it on", then I may start doing that when the dryness starts to get worse.

Posted

tazorac cost too much

Posted

It doesn't always have to be used at night.. my derm told me that I could put benzaclin on at night and taz in the day because benzaclin tends to bleach things.. so the only thing in risk of being bleached were the sheets and such..

I still use taz at night though :) lol.. just personal preference..

and I don't think the ammount of lotion you put on really matters..

Posted

I think my derm told me it was important to put Tazorac on at night, but I don't remember the exact reason.