Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

ok, i am 15 and have had mild acne and havent been "clear" since elementary school. My acne isnt the worst, but its consistent and will not go away. I'm exercise regularly, take multivitans everyday, and stay away from chocolate and carbonated drinks.

My face looks sunburned and oily everyday. i only breakout on my cheaks and chin, rarely on my nose. I've been seeing a derm for about 2 years, and have been on antibiotics for about 1 yr(on/off). I seriously do not know what to do to clear up my face. Benzaclin, differin, and numerous other acne products havent really worked for me. Any results is see are always temporary, until i have to tend to another range of pimples.

right now i take 2 pills of amoxicillin a day as an antibiotic. wash twice with clenia, and use tazorac at night.

my face has been clear twice in the last couple of years. it has always looked the best when i wasn't at home. Both times i was on vacation, away from my normal diet. I was eating less, but not necessarily healthier. i dont know why this happens.

any comments/tips would be greatly appreciated..

ok, i am 15 and have had mild acne and havent been "clear" since elementary school. My acne isnt the worst, but its consistent and will not go away. I'm exercise regularly, take multivitans everyday, and stay away from chocolate and carbonated drinks.

My face looks sunburned and oily everyday. i only breakout on my cheaks and chin, rarely on my nose. I've been seeing a derm for about 2 years, and have been on antibiotics for about 1 yr(on/off). I seriously do not know what to do to clear up my face. Benzaclin, differin, and numerous other acne products havent really worked for me. Any results is see are always temporary, until i have to tend to another range of pimples.

right now i take 2 pills of amoxicillin a day as an antibiotic. wash twice with clenia, and use tazorac at night.

my face has been clear twice in the last couple of years. it has always looked the best when i wasn't at home. Both times i was on vacation, away from my normal diet. I was eating less, but not necessarily healthier. i dont know why this happens.

any comments/tips would be greatly appreciated..

Your almost 100% like me.

Try not to focus on your acne, and if it gets too bad, inquire about more treatment options.

do you guys know anything about sugar causing acne? i've heard random people say they've cut sugar from their diets..just wondering why. anything i should cut from my diet that may help my skin?

yeh thats like me man...i dont have the worst acne but everyone i see has perfect clear skin and it just makes me not wanan do nething. im a freshman in college and my acne got like 100 times worse right before i left. me and my gf broke up around this time prob because of the acne.so bascially u can say i got very depressed(bad acne,no more girlfreind, gone away to college all by self). but anyway i was on proactiv for like a year or 2. did nothing.maybe worked for a month. i fonally wen tot a dermatolgoist in november and she gave me clidaycin,retin a, plexion pads and a doryx which is a pill. i also orderd vilantae(suposvely it reduces oily skin,no idea if it works but basically i am very despertae) ive been on vilantae for about 3 weeks now and my skin is defitanly less oily. i used to wake up with liek a puddle of oil on my face. but neway my skin looks liek its gettin clearer. im not quite sure which is working if any but i dotn care im just gonna keep usign them all untill hopfully one day im perfectly clear. www.vilantae.com is the site if if u wanna check it out. not guranteeing nething but it did reduce my oily skin so far. suposvely it has less side affect then accutane but isnt as strong. idk im just really desperate and just want to get this girl back....well good luck kid

thanks for the advice; i was on plexion pads too for a while, they seemed to working. i'm still on it, except its in a bottle now. good luck with it and your gf, i've heard of worse situations ;)

o yeah, quick question guys. i've cut chocolate out of my diet b/c chocolate=cocoa=cortisol=acne for me. i think. well either way, do you think hot chocolate counts as chocolate that can make me breakout? i mean it's a powder mix, so i dont think so..

Guest been13years

If you think chocolate has an effect on your acne and it doesn't stress you out not to eat it, why not cut it out and see what happens? I think food may have some effect on hormones and the inflammatory response. I know there are people on this board who deny this in very impolite terms, but I definitely notice that my face is more heated and irritated after having some chocolate or white bread. Maybe that's just the generalized sugar rush, but I don't think IN MY CASE that it is a benign factor that has no bearing on my acne.

Anyway, your regimen also sounds fairly harsh. I think you need to ask your derm about getting off the antibiotics if they aren't having any effect after a year. Have you seriously considered Accutane?

"Anyway, your regimen also sounds fairly harsh. I think you need to ask your derm about getting off the antibiotics if they aren't having any effect after a year. Have you seriously considered Accutane?"

i was on the antibiotics for a while, and was getting clear. when i lowered my dosage and eventually didn't need it anymore, my acne came back in a couple of weeks. so thats why i continue to use it, not necessarily to put my acne away (i would like that) , but rather to keep it from coming getting out of control. my acne isn't near bad enough to need accutane. i think.

and i have cut chocolate completely out of my diet, pretty easily since i stay on top of my physical health more than the average teenager. its just that i never really saw hot chocolate as actual chocolate, just some imitation that was made to taste like it.

Food affects my skin too. When I went on a no-sugar, no-white starch diet, my skin stayed clear as long as I was on that diet.

My skin also clears up when I'm in France but not elsewhere in Europe. Strange. I wanted to move to France to put a stop to my breakout.

I think everyone is different and you know your skin/body the best.

do you guys know anything about sugar causing acne? i've heard random people say they've cut sugar from their diets..just wondering why. anything i should cut from my diet that may help my skin?

I'm not sure if it'll make a difference or not... I never drink soda, and always drink sugar/caffeine free juice or water... but then again I never really did drink soda, so I'm not sure .. maybe I should start drinking a case a day and then quit and see if it does anything, lol, I hate this! Good luck, but IMO that won't help. But I'm not an expert.

Cutting caloric drinks by itself doesn't affect me. I normally only drink water and tea w/o sugar. Cutting ALL types of refined carbohydrates did make a difference. Basically, I ate nothing but good protein (beans, fish, etc), certain types of vegetables, and just a bit of wholegrains. So why did I not stick to this diet? I LOVE pasta, wine, potatoes, and chocolate. I decided, I'd rather live with a few pimples and five extra pounds than eat like this for a day longer. :lol2:

If you are willing to do "anything" though, it's certainly might be worth a try if you suspect your acne is hormonal.

I forgot to add, I also got rid of all processed food and ate only organic products whenever possible.

Writing about it is making me wonder if I should go back on this diet. It sure was nice being able to complain about how loose my jeans are. :D

What you said about the vacation thing is weird because I felt the same way too.

I went on a vacation this past year to a relatively warm climate ( islands ) and I never really broke out through out my whole 2 weeks there. I came back; started breaking out again.

Weird.

I wish diet would help my acne, I have to on a very strict diet for other medical reasons anyway. I don't eat any jumk food, refined sugars, processed foods or refined flours. I eat tons of fruits and vegtables, lean protein and whole grains, and only drink water (2-2.5 L per day). Sadly, I have been on this diet for over a year and it has had no effect on my acne!

For those of you who feel diet effects your acne, I am envious! One of my doctors did mention that eating refined sugars and high glycemic index foods gives the bacteria more food and promotes their growth, worsening acne.

What you said about the vacation thing is weird because I felt the same way too.

I went on a vacation this past year to a relatively warm climate ( islands ) and I never really broke out through out my whole 2 weeks there. I came back; started breaking out again.

Weird.

A lot of people experience similar.

I think it has something to do with the sea water. I remember a reading someones post a long time ago about ordering sea water salts for bathwater online. Then again, could be a stress issue...

i don't drink carbonated liquids b/c they're just not good for the body (proud owner of an eight pack) most of the foods i have cut due to acne have helped me stay overall healthier, which im thankful for.

i would cut more unhealthy food out of my diet, but it would be a complete lifestyle change. not to mention probably expensive.