Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
trenem

successful for getting rid of oily skin??

Has anyone out there been successful at getting rid of oily skin. I have tried a lot of products out their with the exception of accutane, and that is the next step (for my acne, not oil). I am on tazorac 1.% gel and klaron in the mornings along with a daily antibiotic of bactrim. I am still incredibly oily even though my derm said these meds would dry me out. Has anyone found anything that really seems to work for them to get rid of the oil slicks? Within a half hour of make up I am already oily!!

Accutane has done it for me and I had the oiliest face ever... I know you said with the exception of, but just backing the drug up.

Has anyone out there been successful at getting rid of oily skin. I have tried a lot of products out their with the exception of accutane, and that is the next step (for my acne, not oil). I am on tazorac 1.% gel and klaron in the mornings along with a daily antibiotic of bactrim. I am still incredibly oily even though my derm said these meds would dry me out. Has anyone found anything that really seems to work for them to get rid of the oil slicks? Within a half hour of make up I am already oily!!

I have the same problem except I do not have acne problems - just the occssional break-out! I hate that I can't go more than an hour after washing and my complextion starts to shine. I'm 33 and have been searching for a cure since highschool! Unfortunately, there isn't one. Accutane will eliminate the oil and leave your skin absolutely radiant. But, you can't take accutane forever. When not on accutane I take vitamin A and I alternate my cleansing products according to season. Winter I use a mosturizing soap for oily skin and summer I use Nutregena with the S acid. I could wash my face 4 times a day but it's better to limit washing to 2 or 3 max. This will help reduce oil believe it or not. Outside of that, I blot with paper that is absorbant - like the "card board" paper products. They're used a lot in public restrooms (your office building, restaurant) b/c their cheap. They don't contain softners so they are great absorbants - I stock up on those. All you can do is wait til your 40 or 50 years old when your hormones change!

Accutane has done it for me and I had the oiliest face ever... I know you said with the exception of, but just backing the drug up.

what was your dosage?

My dermatologist said "we have nothing topical that takes care of oily skin" when I asked him.

Of course, I was put on Accutane not much after that. Waiting for it to go away with age can be frustrating, as I'm a 47 year old male and it has only seemed to get worse with age. Another derm told me that some people never outgrow their oily skin. On the plus side, it supposedly keeps the wrinkles away!

Some people have had success in reducing oil with B5 megadoses. I tried Vilantae (vilantae.com) but it didn't work for me. I'd recommend anyone considering Accutane to try B5 first, as it's pretty harmless from what I've heard.

My dermatologist said "we have nothing topical that takes care of oily skin" when I asked him.

Of course, I was put on Accutane not much after that. Waiting for it to go away with age can be frustrating, as I'm a 47 year old male and it has only seemed to get worse with age. Another derm told me that some people never outgrow their oily skin. On the plus side, it supposedly keeps the wrinkles away!

Some people have had success in reducing oil with B5 megadoses. I tried Vilantae (vilantae.com) but it didn't work for me. I'd recommend anyone considering Accutane to try B5 first, as it's pretty harmless from what I've heard.

My grandmother is 80 years old and is so shiny you have to avert your eyes when you talk to her. She never had acne though.

Oily skin does nothing to prevent wrinkles. It does nothing good. It's all bad. The less oil you have, the better your skin looks. As anyone who has done Accutane will tell you, it's not just that your acne goes away, your skin looks near perfect when you're through.

Accutane = no oil = healthy skin.

I was always under the impression that people with dry skin were more likely to get more pronounced wrinkles than people with oily skin. My mother has oily skin and certainly doesnt have as many wrinkles as people her age(mid 50's), but then my dads had perfect normal skin all his life and he doesnt have so many wrinkles either and he's nearly 60

Guest Fearless*Bunny

dry skin doesn't cause wrinkles or anything like that, it's more a case that the skin will appear to be more wrinkles. Oily skin will temporarily make wrinkles look better but isn't any better then dry skin in terms of wrinkles since it doesn't make them go away or cause them.

My dad has very oily skin and up until very recently (when his hair started graying/thinning), he still looked really good for his age. Even now, his skin doesn't have many wrinkles. Maybe I'll have something to be thankful to him for when I get up there in years, because my skin is a lot like his. The only time my face doesn't seem to get as oily is when I'm using acne treatments....I suppose because they dry my skin out.