Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
zupelman

Topiramate for Scars

OK guys, here's my conclusion:

I started taking Topiramate on February 18. I took a 25mg pill every night for 90 days. To this day, I keep taking it, but I have slowly decreased the dose after the 90 days.

Unfortunately, I haven't noticed any improvement in my pitted scars.

I have talked to Dr. Rakesh Barthi and was told that I should double up the dose to 50mg a day or continue taking it every day for three more months. I'm not going to do either, I don't want to risk any side effects by taking 50mg a day and I honestly I don't think I'll get any results if I continue taking 25mg a day for another 3 months.

Cons

-No improment in pitted scars that already existed.

-Side effects, blurry vision once in a while, but it wasn't a big deal.

Pros

-No more headaches. I used get a lot of headaches, but since taking Topiramate I've only had probably two.

-Makes new wounds heal faster. As stated on an earlier post, I had a cut on my finger that scooped out a piece of skin and left a hole, it completely healed in less than two weeks. I've also had numerous other wounds and they all always heal very fast and never leave any scars. I've also gotten a few big zits, which I was very sure would leave nasty scars, but surprisingly they went away rather fast and didn't leave any scars.

I started using A-Peel once a week at the 90 day mark of taking Topiramate. I had used A-Peel before, when it first came out, in late 2004 I think. It was very strong, you only applied a pea-sized amount to the whole face and that was it, you would start peeling quite a bit in 2-3 days.

Now, even though Julie says it's the same formulation in the A-Peel, I apply a lot and leave it on, I don't remove it like most people do, yet I only get a wimpy peel if anything. So either the formulation is different, which Julie says is not, or the Topiramate somehow makes it less effective or makes me heal so fast I don't even notice.

Unfortunately, the faster wound healing only happens with new wounds. I did a little experiment. I needled some of my pitted scars hoping they would heal just as good as the new wounds had healed. They did heal fast, but they virtually remained the same.

Dr. Rakesh said that one of his patients did have to increase the dose to 50mg a day in order to see results. So who knows, I probably needed 50mg as well to see results, but I'm not going to take that much. With my horrible bad luck, I wouldn't be surprised if I got some of the worse side effects if I took 50mg a day.

So that's my update, if I remember something I missed here I'll tell you later. If you have any questions just let me know.

thanks tj. i'm also using apeel right now and i agree that it does not seem to do very much. i leave it on overnight and i don't even peel.

my stupid caps lock key is spoilt.

Thank you Tj for your update. Sorry to hear your lack of improvement with your pitted scars.

I too, have used A-peel. I wish I got only fine wimpy shedding from it. My experience was,ahem, not good...The day after application my skin starts burning, turns bright red, lasts for 3 days.. after 3rd day, it turns to a painful crusty dryness. My skin actually feels like sandpaper. Stiff, thickened, cracked...I can't open my mouth to talk. (my family loves this) Takes a good 10 days for all the "cracks" to chip and fall off..then my skin looks pink/moist for a day and then turns to a crusted sandpaper effect AGAIN..this "no down time" peel lasted over 20 days for me!!!

I have used it 2 times now and its been the same each time ..I finally learned my lesson. I may be the one in a gazzillion who is allergic to it..I threw the A-peel in the trash...I'm through. BTW..it did NOTHING for my indented scars...complete waste of time. (Sorry for the rant.. :wacko: )

Pocket Aces-

What's the deal? It's now been several months. It would be very helpful if you could put your personal conclusions regarding Topamax's effectiveness.

Any noticable improvements?

And by the way, do you have rolling scars? If so, any improvement in those?

If you saw no improvements, I think it would put this thread to sleep for quite a while.

I am restarted taking topamax at the end of the summer for headaches again. I went up to 100 at night then back down to 25 because of extreme dry mouth loss of appitite and hair loss. I also started retin a which I totally hate!!!! I finally just gave up on that medication but that is another story.

As for the topa. I still have some an indented scar from before taking topamax it didn't do anything for it. I have new indented scars on my chin both sides due to retin a horrible breakouts. I don't know if topamax is going to help them or is helping them. They are less red but it has been since Dec so it is not working fast.

Even at 50mg I had a lot of hair shedding. I don't know if that is just too little to show improvement that I am taking or what. It does help with headaches though. My Dr said that a lot of anticonvulstantS (spelling??) I cannot spell for [email protected]$T! A lot of anti-seizure Rx's cause hair loss.....

anyhoo, just an update in case anyone was still wondering

Hi Kady,

Thank you for the information. Are you saying you developed scarring from using Retin A cream??

I'm sorry you are going through such a difficult time and the hair loss. I am aware of some of the cognitive and verbal complications patients experiencing taking this drug.

I am still fascinated with some of the reports I've seen with people experiencing significant improvement in their scarring using Topamax.

In light of everthing you are going through, it would be a true blessing if you, at the very least, were able to experience some real improvement in your scarring.

Take care-

Anna

Thanks for reviving this thread and for the update.

Everytime I get a cut on a finger or something like I that, I notice how slowly it heals and many times leave scars.

Also, lately I've gotten a couple of big zits and I've noticed they left small indents.

This made remember when I took Topiramate and any wound I got healed very fast and without leaving any scars.

I might start taking it again...

I admit I haven't read the whole thread. I'll get right to it tomorrow, but . . .

Topiramate/Topamax is pretty hard-core. Especially if you don't actually have temporal lobe issues (like some epileptic and bipolar people do), it can have some pretty nasty cognitive side-effects, like making it more difficult to form new memories, making you lose chunks of your old memories, making you feel pretty dang drunk, making it more difficult to focus, and effectively lowering your IQ by 20 or 30 points.

I took a temporal lobe drug that is way less likely to cause issues (oxcarbazepine/Trileptal), and my memory is screwed up similarly to as if I'd undergone electroconvulsive therapy (aka ECT, in laymen's terms: "electroshock therapy.") Uh-huh, that's left me a bit biased against temporal lobe drugs for anything that isn't very, very, VERY likely to be a temporal lobe issue.

I'm not absolutely against using it for scarring, but I think the possibility of severe cognitive side-effects should be a factor in the decision-making process.

Yes, this is a huge risk.

There was some talk about formulating this into a type of topical cream to treat scars, but the doctor that filed the patent didn't follow through. I don't know how hard it would be....or if it was to be formulated how effective it would be, if at all.

Hi Kady,

Thank you for the information. Are you saying you developed scarring from using Retin A cream??

I'm sorry you are going through such a difficult time and the hair loss. I am aware of some of the cognitive and verbal complications patients experiencing taking this drug.

I am still fascinated with some of the reports I've seen with people experiencing significant improvement in their scarring using Topamax.

In light of everthing you are going through, it would be a true blessing if you, at the very least, were able to experience some real improvement in your scarring.

Take care-

Anna

after 2 years

I reanimate this cliche' this drug maybe can vanish fibrotic weave mature target.

the explanation is that to the blocking being of calcium channel, this reduces the synthesis of colagen in the scars formed.

Edited by eterna_maldicion
I reanimate this cliche' so that I believe that this drug is the only one that can vanish fibrotic weave mature target, like stria.

the explanation is that to the blocking being of calcium channel, this reduces the synthesis of colagen in the scars formed. probably it initiates my own test in April

it sounds like it works on newer scars rather than the old ones. ive only read the last two pages and the girl who took it several years back didnt see any benefit to her older pitted scars. it goes to show its application might be limited. again if it is supposed to limit new scars, it again seems similar to copper peptides (which appears to be safer) e.g. no hairloss or reduction in IQ.

It's probably going to give you new acne. It causes acne.

in the prospectus, indirect effect I have not seen that it causes acne. hopefully it does not produce that to me

I hope that it does not interfere with my zinc absortion.

lol mate, are you sure you want to give it a go? the people using it didnt see any benefit to pitted scarring what makes you think you would? im assuming you have indented scars?

the tests were conducted with raised scarring which is much easier to cure. i can list at least 5 products that can help with that condition right now.

it seems pretty heavy duty too with peoples hair falling out etc. perhaps you should ask your doctor.

Edited by cartwheeling_monkey

I think you'll be disappointed. I looked into doing this and through research found that it doesn't work for scarring and it causes acne. Someone was on it and it gave them bad acne so they had to stop it and go on spiro or BCP's. I dont remember who, why they were on it etc., but they posted in the Hormone section.