Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Andgasm

Acne and sleeping orientation (among other tips).

Part one: Sleeping orientation

I see and hear a lot of people saying "I woke up (the next morning/day) with x new zits/pimples". One thing that I find contributes to the amount of oil on my face, and often how many new pimples I get, by the morning, is my sleeping orientation. That is, if I sleep face down, or on my cheek, whatever part of my face is touching anything but air seems to be where the next pimples are likely to form, likely because doing so is sort of like bathing your face in your own secretions, and thus harvesting bacteria on your sheets or pillows. For the last few years I've been sleeping, for the most part, with no pillow, because it tended to wrap around my cheeks from the weight of my head. The problem I have had is staying on my back overnight, but recently I think I recently may have discovered why.

Sleeping with my head totally aligned with my body made it slightly difficult to breathe.

Here's what I did to fix that:

I rolled my pillow up, so it rose off my bed a a bit, maybe something like a 3/4 of a foot (without any weight on it) and lay on it with my back against the mattress so that as little of my head was resting on top it as possible (but still comfortable). That is, the very back/top of my head. I've only tried this for a few nights now, but it seems to be working well. Sometimes I roll over a bit, but because the pillow is so elevated, only a small part of my forehead is ever touching anything.

Part two: General tips

Although I do believe in the fact that acne is directly or indirectly caused by genetics, I am also of the opinion that there may be many other contributing factors on a case by case basis, and so here are some other tips that I recommend:

-First and foremost, drink plenty of water and try to exercise. I'm pretty sure this is discussed all over this forum, as well as many others. Even if you don't have acne, it's important to stay healthy. (However, this is quite hypocritical of me as I don't get much exercise myself)

-If you "roll" the (oil/dirt/whatever it is) on your face, stop. This likely irritates your skin and will give you scars, as it's done to me. (if you do it you'll know what I mean)

-Don't rinse soap with excessively hot water.

-If you find your skin gets really oily, try using little or no soap on your face (no idea why this helped me)

-Don't scrub with a towel. Pat dry, so as not to spread bacteria.

-Unless you're about to wash your face, don't touch it. I don't care what your excuses are, your hands are damn thilthy.

-Guys, don't shave your face excessively. Wait until it grows in a bit. You need to give your skin some time to heal between shaving. Also, try not to do this unless you're going to wash your face soon, because if you're using a motorized razor, then it probably accumulates oil from repeated use (or basic maintenance) If you're using a non-motorized one, then you're likely using shaving cream or gel.

-If you sweat a lot from exercise (or otherwise), rinse your face with some water afterwards.

-If you're indoors all the time, try to be in the sun (in moderation). Your skin needs it to produce vitamin D.

-Finally, as for foods:

*Generally, try to avoid sugary things and bad fats (candy, processed foods and processed drinks). Sorry guys, but that's like half of your local supermarket right there. North americans apparently like their sugar and hydrogenated oils.

*More specifically, avoid foods where the ingredients or nutritive info show that there's much hydrogenated oil of any kind, or that there's much fat other than the unsaturated kind, or if there's much *added* sugar content. Somehow I get the feeling this matters more when you're young, because it defines how your body will treat food for years to come, though that's only a hunch.

*Try to get good fats (unsaturated, omegas), as well as your essential nutrients.

*A lot of people say dairy and eggs have to do with acne. If you do stop drinking milk, find another source of calcium, and eat things with vitamin D, as your body needs it to absorb calcium.

I used to subsist almost entirely on soft drinks and pizza. I haven't had more than a glass for about two years, and now I mostly eat oaty/grainy/nutty things, meat, fruit and vegetables, and I find myself actually caring about what the ingredients say. If I can break the habit, you can too.

You can make a difference guys, all it takes is a little mindfulness. Good luck and good riddance (this post took me forever to make!)

-If you find your skin gets really oily, try using little or no soap on your face (no idea why this helped me)

The reason for this is regular old soap strips all of the natural oils on your face that it needs to stay healthy. When you dry out your face too much, it compensates by producing more oil, so you get more oily skin.

-Guys, don't shave your face excessively. Wait until it grows in a bit. You need to give your skin some time to heal between shaving.

There's arguments for both sides of this. I've heard that facial hair attracts dirt, oil and dead skin - all things you don't want for acne.

-If you're indoors all the time, try to be in the sun (in moderation). Your skin needs it to produce vitamins.

Again, there's arguments for both sides of this too. You don't produce "vitamins" (in the plural) from the sun, but specifically only Vitamin D. You can get vitamin D from other sources, like cod liver oil (a source of two omega fatty acids that are very beneficial, DHA and EPA).

*Generally, try to avoid sugary things and bad fats

This can't be emphasized enough - trans fats will clog up your system, and hydeogenated oils can impair the absorbing of beneficial fats and nutrients.

If you can't avoid sugar, start taking chromium supplements. It'll help. And everyone should know that refined flour / white bread has exactly the same effect once inside your body that sugar does (insulin raise).

Andgasm, I'll have to try out your method. Ive never been able to sleep on my back to avoid smothering my face in the pillow at night. Even when I finally think I fall asleep on my back I wake up on my side. I noticed the hard to breath thing also, I have to breath throught my mouth, which drys me up and wake up with bad headaches and cotton mouth. Im gonna try what u said tonight and hope it works!! :dance:

I tried doing that pillow method.. It really did help!.. Usually it's impossible for me to fall asleep on my back.. but with doing that.. I was able to fall a sleep.. Yay! :)

The reason for this is regular old soap strips all of the natural oils on your face that it needs to stay healthy. When you dry out your face too much, it compensates by producing more oil, so you get more oily skin.

I actually agree with this theory, however, as much as I'd like to not believe it, I remember seeing someone mention an experiment to test this, which proved that notion false. There may be some other reason. My uneducated guess is that it removes a layer of something, maybe minerals or more oil, on top of the skin, allowing oil to come out of the pores more freely. I'm not at all sure if washing with less soap is better for your acne (though it likely will redden your spots due to irritating the capillaries that make them discolored), I just know that my skin doesn't seem as oily when I use water by itself.

-Guys, don't shave your face excessively. Wait until it grows in a bit. You need to give your skin some time to heal between shaving.

There's arguments for both sides of this. I've heard that facial hair attracts dirt, oil and dead skin - all things you don't want for acne.

Well, if you're washing your face regularily then this all comes off, unless you grow a facial jungle for it to hide, in which case you've probably waited long enough for your skin to heal, and can thus shave anyways.

-If you're indoors all the time, try to be in the sun (in moderation). Your skin needs it to produce vitamins.

Again, there's arguments for both sides of this too. You don't produce "vitamins" (in the plural) from the sun, but specifically only Vitamin D. You can get vitamin D from other sources, like cod liver oil (a source of two omega fatty acids that are very beneficial, DHA and EPA).

Fixed. I knew it produced vitamin D but I wasn't sure if there were any others.

UPDATE:

This is working really well.

I encourage everyone to start sleeping on your back like this. It has helped me tremendously. Where I used to practically want to bawl my eyes out about my acne covered face, I'm starting to think I won't ever have to worry about more than two or three zits at the most, ever again. Everyone really has to try this out (the sleeping thing). Now all that's left is the red marks and scars....