Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
guitarguy1234

Help me stop using Minocycline!

I've been using Minocycline in combination with Duac topical gel for two years now, and it has worked quite well. My acne was never terrible, but I used to have a fair number of small red zits, particularly on my jaw line (though I think this may have had to do with my facial hair first coming in). Now I'm clear 80% of the time, with an occasional zit.

I'm nearly 21 now, and frankly, I'm sick of acne (as I'm sure we all are). I decided to try going off the Duac for a week... Big mistake! Within 4 days I had a bunch of tiny pimples sprouted, mostly on my chin and my neck. I went back on the duac and was clear again within about 2 weeks. (I was on minocycline this whole time).

My doctor said that while I'm probably not doing any real harm to my liver (all my tests have come back fine), I may want to try going off the mino for a while to see what happens. I'm sacred to do this after my trial run going off the Duac, but its also possible that the mino isn't really doing much and I'm taking it for nothing. Also, I've been feeling really lethargic for a while now (I wake up tired pretty much every day, regardless of how much sleep I get). I think I may even be experiencing a "disconnect" symptom that I read about - where sometimes you feel almost like you're watching yourself live through a movie, you're sort of.. a little distant...

Anyway, I am wondering what the best way to going about getting off the minocycline would be. Should I start taking the pill every other day for a while? Should I be expecting an immediate breakout? How long will it be before I know the mino isn't doing anything (I have read that it will stay in your system for quite a while, so I won't know if I'm in the clear yet). Has anyone heard any success stories about people coming off antibiotics, or does the acne inevitably seem to come back?

I've been using Minocycline in combination with Duac topical gel for two years now, and it has worked quite well. My acne was never terrible, but I used to have a fair number of small red zits, particularly on my jaw line (though I think this may have had to do with my facial hair first coming in). Now I'm clear 80% of the time, with an occasional zit.

I'm nearly 21 now, and frankly, I'm sick of acne (as I'm sure we all are). I decided to try going off the Duac for a week... Big mistake! Within 4 days I had a bunch of tiny pimples sprouted, mostly on my chin and my neck. I went back on the duac and was clear again within about 2 weeks. (I was on minocycline this whole time).

My doctor said that while I'm probably not doing any real harm to my liver (all my tests have come back fine), I may want to try going off the mino for a while to see what happens. I'm sacred to do this after my trial run going off the Duac, but its also possible that the mino isn't really doing much and I'm taking it for nothing. Also, I've been feeling really lethargic for a while now (I wake up tired pretty much every day, regardless of how much sleep I get). I think I may even be experiencing a "disconnect" symptom that I read about - where sometimes you feel almost like you're watching yourself live through a movie, you're sort of.. a little distant...

Anyway, I am wondering what the best way to going about getting off the minocycline would be. Should I start taking the pill every other day for a while? Should I be expecting an immediate breakout? How long will it be before I know the mino isn't doing anything (I have read that it will stay in your system for quite a while, so I won't know if I'm in the clear yet). Has anyone heard any success stories about people coming off antibiotics, or does the acne inevitably seem to come back?

I was on doxy for a year, and weened myself off, but my acne came back. Now I'm on Mino, and my face is clear again. My derm suggested stopping after 6 months (i normally take it 2 times a day, so he said to try taking it once a day, and then if that works, then try taking it once every other day, etc.). I wouldn't try to stop cold turkey-- just do the halving thing, and if you notice things getting bad, just go back to your original dosage. let us know how things work out :)

Don't worry. Eventually it will stop working on its own and you'll have to take Accutane.

I was on mino for 6 years.

Neuvo wavo is right.

it's stopped working for me after 3 years and i took Accutane a week after (for the second time).

then i took mino again half a year later.

it proved me becoming immune to it.

so a week ago i ditched mino for good, now only left with the regimen.

i know what u mean, i was petrified to be left without it, but i prefer having mild acne to "living in a movie" feeling, eternal tiredness and looking dead.

ditch it.

see what happens. if it grows outta control, take accutane. it works for most of the ppl (neuvo wavo dude, u r not alone :doubt: ). stick to the regimen if it's more or less controllable.

good luck!

peace.

Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

Yeah i agree. I've been on Tetracycline for 10 months and i honestly believe that i'm becoming immune to it already. I'm taking a low dosage, so i'd imagine that's why it's happening quickly! I will be slowly taking myself off the anti's within the next month.

I'm about to administer light therapy myself as a means of trying to 'control' my acne.

Does anyone else feel/look like shit on anti-biotics?

Guest Fearless*Bunny

Mine is oilier but then again I'm using a taz too so that might be the main reason. I really can't tell.

Guest Fearless*Bunny

I feel really shitty. I'm going to go to the derm ASAP to talk to her about getting off them. I just don't think they're for me.

Yeah i agree. I've been on Tetracycline for 10 months and i honestly believe that i'm becoming immune to it already. I'm taking a low dosage, so i'd imagine that's why it's happening quickly! I will be slowly taking myself off the anti's within the next month.

I'm about to administer light therapy myself as a means of trying to 'control' my acne.

Does anyone else feel/look like shit on anti-biotics?

Well, I'm afraid I'm becoming immune. My doctor is now cutting my dosage and trying to take me off...

:wall:

But oh well, I don't wanna be on them forever.

It's all in your heads, guys.

100mg of tetracycline is not going to make you feel anything, except maybe a little indigestion if it's doxycycline.

I was on them for 8 years, and I am a very sensitive man.

Guest Fearless*Bunny

100mg of tetracycline is not going to make you feel anything, except maybe a little indigestion if it's doxycycline.

Now that you've said that I'm not feeling bad it's all going to go away :rolleyes: . My body is screwy so I react to things in a weird way. Trust me it's the mino.

So, are you saying that antibiotics kept your acne under control for 8 years?? That's excellent. Doxycycline stopped working for me after about 14 months, and now I'm on Minocycline, which is working great so far (I'm about 3 months in). Personally, I don't mind being on antibiotics...I don't feel any side effects at all (although I did feel a little nausea when I was taking Doxy). The only thing I'm slightly worried about is liver damage, but that's possible with any drug, including Accutane.

Do you have any sort of.. knowledge to back this claim up? Medically speaking, is 100mg simply not enough to have any real impact?

Having been on minocycline for two years, I honestly can't remember what felt "normal" to me when I woke up in the morning. I do know that I have been fighting a constant battle with being tired, regardless of my sleep schedule. No matter what I do, I'm exhausted (I pretty much long for a nap every day, even though I try not to because I know it messes with your internal clock). Once in a while I'll have a day where I'll say to myself "wow, I feel great today". But these days are few and far between, and I often wonder if that is what life without mino was like.

You may have very well simply adjusted to any changes the pills had on you, and you can't remember what it felt like when you weren't on them.

Do you have any sort of.. knowledge to back this claim up? Medically speaking, is 100mg simply not enough to have any real impact?

Having been on minocycline for two years, I honestly can't remember what felt "normal" to me when I woke up in the morning. I do know that I have been fighting a constant battle with being tired, regardless of my sleep schedule. No matter what I do, I'm exhausted (I pretty much long for a nap every day, even though I try not to because I know it messes with your internal clock). Once in a while I'll have a day where I'll say to myself "wow, I feel great today". But these days are few and far between, and I often wonder if that is what life without mino was like.

You may have very well simply adjusted to any changes the pills had on you, and you can't remember what it felt like when you weren't on them.

Perhaps 100 mg of Tetracycline has less of an effect than 100 mg of Minocycline? I know the doses of different antibiotics may vary between 100 mg and 500 mg depending on the antibiotic (I'm pretty sure that Tetracycline is generally prescribed at 500 mg, whereas Minocycline is 100mg-200mg). Just a guess...

Guest Fearless*Bunny

I'm getting off mino ASAP but I want to talk to my derm about it first. I just don't think it's something for me. I'm on 200 mg a day if anyone wanted to know.

Perhaps 100 mg of Tetracycline has less of an effect than 100 mg of Minocycline? I know the doses of different antibiotics may vary between 100 mg and 500 mg depending on the antibiotic (I'm pretty sure that Tetracycline is generally prescribed at 500 mg, whereas Minocycline is 100mg-200mg). Just a guess...

I was using tetracycline to refer to mino and doxy as well -- they are all the same type of drug.

100mg of mino or doxy is nothing. The mind is a powerful thing.

yea i don't understand why the doc is weening you off of the antibiotic. i don't think it's safe to take these drugs for a prolonged period of time anyway, it makes our bodies immune to the affects of antibiotics and provents us from getting better from an illness.

for me personally (and i was on dox, mino & tetra) they don't really do much. i think it's all mental. the idea of ingesting something for your acne rather than topically applying it makes more sense but i don't think the antibiotics really work. i never noticed a difference. the only real ingestible drug that works is accutane. the rest are just placebos.

yea i don't understand why the doc is weening you off of the antibiotic. i don't think it's safe to take these drugs for a prolonged period of time anyway, it makes our bodies immune to the affects of antibiotics and provents us from getting better from an illness.

for me personally (and i was on dox, mino & tetra) they don't really do much. i think it's all mental. the idea of ingesting something for your acne rather than topically applying it makes more sense but i don't think the antibiotics really work. i never noticed a difference. the only real ingestible drug that works is accutane. the rest are just placebos.

Antibiotics, particularly minocycline, work very well for many people. Mino allowed me to stay almost completely clear for years. The problem is they only work for so long.

But for people who are destined to "grow out of" their acne at some point -- i.e., people whom God doesn't hate, i.e., people other than me -- they can be ideal.

Antibiotics, particularly minocycline, work very well for many people. Mino allowed me to stay almost completely clear for years. The problem is they only work for so long.

But for people who are destined to "grow out of" their acne at some point -- i.e., people whom God doesn't hate, i.e., people other than me -- they can be ideal.

lol...i think I'm one of those people that God hates as well. May I ask how old you are? I'll be 26 next month, and if I wasn't taking antibiotics, my acne would still be thriving. My derm doesn't think it's bad enough to go on Accutane though, since antibiotics have been effective so far...

lol...i think I'm one of those people that God hates as well. May I ask how old you are? I'll be 26 next month, and if I wasn't taking antibiotics, my acne would still be thriving. My derm doesn't think it's bad enough to go on Accutane though, since antibiotics have been effective so far...

I took antibiotics from age 16-24. Then Accutane at 25. I'm doing low dose now but I might go back on antibiotics at some point because Accutane makes your bones fall apart if you stay on it too long.

How long have you been on antibiotics and which ones have you been on?

The thing is, I'm a guy. Women who have acne into middle age are a dime a dozen. This shit is practically unheard of for men.

Guest Fearless*Bunny

Antibiotics kill off the good bacteria as well as the bad. That's why some people can have problems with it. Trust me my doctor told me it's not in my head. They just aren't for everyone. Granted what I'm experiencing isn't very common. Most don't have the problems I'm having. My body is screwy and reacts in the crappiest of ways.