Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
O2Bnormal

CO2 laser for acne scars

I have a two part question:

I have acne scars left over from moderate to severe cystic acne. I have some pits on my nose, and my chin has a rough pebbly appearance to it, with a deeper (box car) scar under my lower lip.

I'm fair skinned and my skin is extremely oily. Does anyone have any words of wisdom or recomendations one way or the other for CO2 laser resurfacing as a method of surgery for this type of scarring? I desperately want a smoother complexion but I'm paranoid of discoloration and keloid scars. My dermatologist recomended two plastic surgeons that specialize in CO2 so she obviously thinks it's the way for me to go.

Also, does anyone know if the CO2 laser reduces the oil production at all?

I have a two part question:

I have acne scars left over from moderate to severe cystic acne. I have some pits on my nose, and my chin has a rough pebbly appearance to it, with a deeper (box car) scar under my lower lip.

I'm fair skinned and my skin is extremely oily. Does anyone have any words of wisdom or recomendations one way or the other for CO2 laser resurfacing as a method of surgery for this type of scarring? I desperately want a smoother complexion but I'm paranoid of discoloration and keloid scars. My dermatologist recomended two plastic surgeons that specialize in CO2 so she obviously thinks it's the way for me to go.

Also, does anyone know if the CO2 laser reduces the oil production at all?

I'm not sure if CO2 lowers your oil production, but I have heard that smoothbeam does lower it.

Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

CO2 is cell buffing. It pretty much burns off skin. I don't think that it would reduce oil production.

Be careful though, sometimes new scars can occour. Also, there is a rare chance that pigment change may also occour.

The laser clinic near me stopped using Co2 lasers due to side effects (Hypopigmentation). Now, they strictly use erbium laser due to lesser known side effects and downtime. Have you heard of it?

I would forget about the CO2 laser. the number of horror stories on here from people who have had it and regretted it is quite shocking. Not only that but the procedure is VERY VERY expensive. It's just too risky.

I suggest you consider the Fraxel laser which is much safer and can give good results after 4-5 treatments based 1-2 weeks apart. There are a few threads with very helpful info on the Fraxel procedure from people who have had the treatment and are currently getting it and many report good results.

This is the main Fraxel discussion-

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=66955