Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

Blue & Red light therapy

Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

I've, as some of you may have read, had several PDT with ALA treatments. They have been very effective, but do come with downtime, and they are quite expensive.

I decided to look into home packages for light therapy, and thanks to Wolfkeeper sharing his knowlege, have decided to purchase a SCI\ART system. I'm hoping to manage my acne with this.

I would really like people who use light therapy, at home or under thier Derm's care, to post thier stories in this thread. Thanks.

I use the Dermalux red/blue lamp at home and must say its works pretty well. It heals spots fairly quickly and when used everyday, I find it reduces breakouts and minimizes their severity. However, occasionaly I still get a bad breakout (I personally think its impossible to completely control acne no matter what treatment you use)

I would recommend the system but you have to understand that its gotta be used everyday for a period of at least a couple of months to see real improvement. I found this out after spending a long time being inconsistent with it!

Good luck with your therapy. Hope it works out well for you

Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

Thankyou very much for your reply, i will definately maintain a consistent treatment time.

Are you still using this lamp?

I bought the sci/art red and blue bulbs. I have been using them EVERYDAY for fifteen minutes since Dec. 20. So I've been using them for about 2 1/2 weeks. Not noticed anything yet really. I guess i should know either way in another 3 1/2 weeks.

Hi there,

I used one of the Dermalux lamps consistently every morning for around 3-4 months during the summer. I'm sorry to say though I noticed no real improvements at all. I actually started to breakout quite badly towards the end of that time, which is why I decided to call it a day with that particular treatment. I guess it just depends what the specific cause of your particular acne is as to whether or not it'll work for you... everyone's different.

Good luck, Jon.

I bought the sci/art red and blue bulbs. I have been using them EVERYDAY for fifteen minutes since Dec. 20.

Good stuff.

So I've been using them for about 2 1/2 weeks. Not noticed anything yet really. I guess i should know either way in another 3 1/2 weeks.

Atleast. More like 5 1/2 weeks. With the dermalux it started to really kick in after about 6 weeks.

I'm planning to get one of these Sci/Art lamps myself.

Matter of interest, these Sci/Art lamps are filament lamps? (As in when you switch them on they come right on, they're not blinkety/blink fluorescents?)

I only ask because I'm in the UK and we use a mains at different voltage and I need to use something to sort it out; I was planning on putting a diode in series, and that only works on filament lamps.

Hi there,

I used one of the Dermalux lamps consistently every morning for around 3-4 months during the summer. I'm sorry to say though I noticed no real improvements at all. I actually started to breakout quite badly towards the end of that time, which is why I decided to call it a day with that particular treatment. I guess it just depends what the specific cause of your particular acne is as to whether or not it'll work for you... everyone's different.

Good luck, Jon.

I'm sorry to hear that. According to the study about 10% fail to respond, and another 10% had partial improvement.

For myself there's odd patterns sometimes it doesn't work well, and then it kicks in and it really works very well indeed. My acne usually is never as good as it is with the lightbox, so the treatment works for me anyway.

I really am interested in how often it works. So far there's been three people that it hasn't worked for that have been on this site. Of those one was getting red skin, but was using it for 30 minutes a day; I'm assuming they were overtreating. Another had got extra bright lights but was using it for the full time; again that's probably overtreatment, they had only partial response but sent it back under 90 day trial. Then there was you that seemed to have no response at all.

On the other hand there's myself who had good response, and Biochembabe that wasn't getting total clearance and then cut back slightly and cleared almost completely. Another user was getting ok response. It's working for Delboy too.

There also seems to be subtleties about how you use it that can make a big difference. I'm wondering whether the light works best when the skin is slightly greasy. Presumably then the bacteria is chowing down. I'm thinking the porphyrins that the light activates are something to do with digestion, but it's a bit of a guess. I usually roll out of bed and use the light straight away. It works better that way somehow. If I use it later in the day it works much less well. Presumably I sweat slightly in the warmth of my bed or something.

Wolfkeeper,

The sci/art lights are filament i believe, at least as I understand your definition...i'm no light expert obviously :) i turn the switch on just like any other light and it comes on steadily and automatically.

I think I will try your idea of using the lights as soon as I wake up. I had just been using them at various times on each successive day.

And I agree about the time that I need to give these to work...8 weeks is probably a much better indicator than 6 weeks. I plan on using them for at least 12 weeks...if after that there is no improvement then i will rethink it. But I am very optimistic about these from what I've heard. Did any of the people you mentioned who are having success w/ the lights have success w/ the sci/art lights specifically, as opposed to dermalux, etc?

Wolfkeeper,

The sci/art lights are filament i believe, at least as I understand your definition...i'm no light expert obviously :) i turn the switch on just like any other light and it comes on steadily and automatically.

I think I will try your idea of using the lights as soon as I wake up. I had just been using them at various times on each successive day.

And I agree about the time that I need to give these to work...8 weeks is probably a much better indicator than 6 weeks. I plan on using them for at least 12 weeks...if after that there is no improvement then i will rethink it. But I am very optimistic about these from what I've heard. Did any of the people you mentioned who are having success w/ the lights have success w/ the sci/art lights specifically, as opposed to dermalux, etc?

Yeah biochembabe was using the sci/art lights. She even has a picture on her website thingey:

http://images12.fotki.com/v200/free/d348d/...16/light-vi.jpg

At the end of the day, provided its of the right intensity and frequency, light is light.

Yeah biochembabe was using the sci/art lights. She even has a picture on her website thingey:

http://images12.fotki.com/v200/free/d348d/...16/light-vi.jpg

At the end of the day, provided its of the right intensity and frequency, light is light.

That's true. That link didn't work btw...do you have another way to get to that page?

Try this:

http://public.fotki.com/BioChemBabe/my_ski...ucts/light.html

(I'm not the big bad wolf BTW!)