Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My story is similar to that of thousands of other people, but I suppose I'll give a very brief overview. I started getting mild acne at about 12 that has over time turned into moderate and once in a great while severe acne. I'm now almost 18 and have been trying for apparently over a half decade (I haven't really thought about how long it's been until just now) to help myself, but to no avail. My self-esteem actually doesn't suffer too much, but it could be much better (ahh, even with being an antisocial ogre I have had some experiences with the opposite sex -- go me!).

I just think that it's sad that my entire experience in life so far as an extremely self-aware and intelligent individual has been affected (albeit not too greatly) negatively like this. It seems that the regimen is my last step before going on to more drastic methods such as Accutane. But anyway, I'm going off to college this September on a full-ride scholarship and I would like this time in my life to be one of more self-improvement than any previous period.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I'm starting the regimen and this log for myself and to help document the regimen's success/failure. I've already got my trusty CSR gel, and the Cetaphil cleanser and Neutrogena moisturizer should be here tomorrow (the fourth of January, 2006), and I'll start on the morning of the fifth. I'm actually excited to start (what a dork, haha).

I had a bit, but only a bit, of a lack of foresight, and didn't do exhaustive research before embarking on this quest... I'd rather have a Cetaphil moisturizer because it seems to be overall better than the Neutrogena stuff (plus I've always loathed Neutrogena), and also I want a Purpose bar for shaving (doh, I haven't had to shave all that much before).

So right now my things-to-keep-in-mind list consists of: using up the Neutrogena moisturizer and switching to the Cetaphil one at an early stage; getting a Purpose bar. Also, stop touching my damn face like a maniac.

----------------------------------------------------------

Overall my plan looks like this:

1st week - once daily routine, using very little bp and very very slowly using more.

2nd week - begin twice daily routine, slowly start using more.

3rd week - still twice daily, using at least half the amount I should be.

4th week - twice daily, using damn near full amount or if I can tolerate it, full amount.

And then continue the fourth week routine from then on: full amount twice daily.

----------------------------------------------------------

My current condition: my face isn't too bad (actually it looks terrible, but in comparison to what it has been at some points, it looks just dandy). Maybe a few 'active' pimples that don't bother me physically or aesthetically, and one scab. Tons of red marks, most highly concentrated on cheeks.

That's all for today. I can hardly wait.

*idle ponderings* I live in a chronically rainy place (Washington state)... am I going to have to take extra care not to get my face wet while on the regimen?

*I'm subconsciously working on these questions and will post them whenever they come up*

hi and welcome!

I think your plan looks fantastic and well thought out! And it's good that you are excited, I remember when I first began the Regimen, I read the website here, then ran to Walmart to get the stuff, and started immediately! lol.

I hope it works out for you!

Yea, you're going to have to try and keep the rain off your face, otherwise you'll have white spots, lol.

Good luck and post if you have any questions.

if your face gets wet and then you wipe it with your clothes, or the water runs down to your collar, it can bleach. Bleached spots on clothes can look a bit daft but some people might like them

if your face gets wet and then you wipe it with your clothes, or the water runs down to your collar, it can bleach. Bleached spots on clothes can look a bit daft but some people might like them

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about the last bit... I'm not one to be fussy about how my clothes look, so that won't be too much of a problem (it might make my stileproject hoodie look better). Just as long as I can keep the majority of the bp on for the regimen's purposes.

I also just got back from doing some errands and there's currently a torrential downpour of rain -- ack. Crazy.

(off to do a few hours of homework...)

my plan was the exact same as yours.

1st week. applied only in the morning. half a finger.

2nd week. applied full finger in morning, half finger at night.

3rd week. applied 1.5 finger in morning. 1 finger at night.

4th week. 2 full fingers, 1.5 at night.

i wonder if your progress will mirror mine.

i wonder if your progress will mirror mine.

I would hope that it does, but I'm not entirely sure if yours was good. *checks* Seems like you're making some progress. I was wondering why you were using two fingers, but yeah, ... Neutrogena 'on the spot.' I have this vendetta against Neutrogena, I swear. They seem to be evil in the form of skin products, for me anyway... I was hesitant to get the moisturizer and am probably going to swap (as I said before).

Today woke up to a few new blemishes, but nothing that wasn't pretty easily taken care of. As usual.

I remember when I first began the Regimen, I read the website here, then ran to Walmart to get the stuff, and started immediately! lol.

Haha, I was thinking of going to the store and trying to find the cleanser/moisturizer so I could start earlier, but I'm so damn busy lately. I'll just let the mail bring it to me today. I'm all antsy about it now, haha.

Okay, so I got the rest of my supplies today and will start tomorrow. A few things:

1) Cetaphil doesn't make products that are for sale in stores, only online, or what? I read something about it on the back (too lazy to go find it now). If it works, it won't matter; the shipping cost will be worth it.

2) Is chapstick comedogenic? I've started using it in the past day or two because it's cold and a bit dry around here despite all the rain.

Okay, so I'm sitting here eating a bagel and typing this up between the bp - moisturizer bit. This won't take much getting used to, I woke up at my usual time and I'm just filling all the idle time I normally have. Initially I thought that the bp wouldn't affect me much at all, but about 5 minutes after applying it I appear to have a very mild sunburn. I had to use about 30-40% of the full amount because I have to use it all over my face -- not a problem, I'd think, unless I concentrate it all in a small space at the beginning. Hopefully the moisturizer will help with the redness. Oh, and I'm exercising my iron will and not touching my face. *scurries off to apply moisturizer*

Post-moisturizer, still morning update: I went to look at my face and it was a little redder and drier than I think I've ever seen it before. So I whipped out the moisturizer and of course I had to get the 'initial' flow going on it and had no idea what "one pump" was. I ended up getting what what probably 50% more than I needed, but it worked out well. Now my face isn't so incredibly red and dry. Things are looking good though. I'll be checking my face throughout the day to make sure I haven't somehow morphed into some freakshow without me knowing.

Whew, everything's grand on this end (about twelve hours later). My face looks completely normal. I think I can get used to this. I was expecting some horrid complication. I touched my face once (very light scratch, it was itching bad) and when I looked at my finger, it was dyed an orangish color... turns out it was from a highlighter earlier in the day. It temporarily freaked me out. And although I can still faintly smell the moisturizer, I asked my lady-friend if she could and she didn't notice.

It's probably mostly in my head, but even after a single application my skin just feels a little better, and looks ever-so-nominally better (texture-wise, it seems). We'll see how progress is made over the next few days...

Oh oh, I have an actual plea for advice now.

Since I'm starting with one application daily (morning), should I not do anything besides that until it's time to do it again (a full 24 hours), or wash it off before I go to bed or something? It feels a bit weird to leave it on for so long.

ok, so you're new to the Regimen, and starting out with one application per day? My advice is to use it at night then, and then just a light wash, and moisturizer application (if you need it) in the morning.

Next week are you going up to twice daily??

ok, so you're new to the Regimen, and starting out with one application per day? My advice is to use it at night then, and then just a light wash, and moisturizer application (if you need it) in the morning.

Next week are you going up to twice daily??

Yeah, I just started after a week-long hiatus of any treatments whatsoever (i.e. I let my poor face rest for a week before starting this). Your advise is probably sensible because it spares me from having to walk around with a slightly irritated face all day. And I'm upping it to twice a day next week, that's good, right? (And working my way up to using full bp amount once I hit the one-month mark)

Even after two applications I can see the effects that this is having -- any blemishes that my spidey-sense tells me will soon be problems dry up and shrink throughout the day (or at least that's what's happening to every single one right now, something that was most definitely not happening before). I could see how once my face gets over the slight irritation how this regimen would result in very clear skin.

And damn, I hate this Neutrogena moisturizer. It seems to leave a vague stinging sensation on my face for a few hours (the stinging probably isn't the bp, I've used bp before and it doesn't do that). It'll have to do for now, though.

Third day, things seem to be going alright. My skin is significantly red for a little while after bp application, and then calms down to almost normal. It also stings for the majority of the day, gradually lessening as time goes on. But besides those two things, it looks like my complexion is slowly, barely perceptibly, improving.

I'm also getting closer to what my preferred amount of moisturizer is -- yesterday my face was slightly ... 'greasy' feeling, but looked fine. Today I put less moisturizer and seems to be working fine.

Really, nothing atypical from the 'to be expected' chart.

"Usually slight improvement, some people have reported an initial worsening of acne. Skin is red, irritated, and itches."

Hah, perfect match for me. Let's hope that things go as planned. This is hardly a price to pay for decent skin.

yea, it sounds like you are doing just fine. Your plan is good.

If the Neutrogena moisturizer is bothering you, consider trying another one. For some reason, the Neutrogena oil-free and Sensitive skin versions both stung me real bad, I have no idea why, and a few others have noticed the same thing. So, if it is bothersome, you can look back through the recommended products and perhaps try a different one.

Good luck!

I think this Neutrogena moisturizer really is sucking. My face after bp application, although dry as all hell, doesn't hurt until I put the moisturizer on. Then starts a vague stinging sensation that lasts a long time.

(notes to self: switch to Cetaphil moisturizer, and to the Purpose bar for cleanser so I can shave better)

I switched over to nights, so yesterday I just cleansed/moisturized at night and cleansed/moisturized this morning, and now I put the bp on along with the other two steps -- and damn it burns. I hope the burning subsides soon because this is pretty bad. Just sort of a vague stinging on my face.

I didn't even put on bp for the past two 'cleansings' and the neutrogena moisturizer stung for a while. That stuff is terrible. I'm going to order the cetaphil moisturizer now... forget trying to use a whole bottle of the neutrogena.

edit: maybe i'm being a bit hasty. i'll keep it for another week or two and see how it goes... but damn it burns. I was going through the product reviews and someone said it "burned like hellfire." I don't think I can come up with a more apt description.

Damn, there is like... massive drying on my cheeks. Really flaky. I put about half the moisturizer on my cheeks and the other half around the rest of my face. Should I just moisturize until it's pretty much unnoticeable? (Can't wait to get the Eucerin AHA stuff that's supposed to help with this... but that won't be for another week or three; or maybe later on down the line incorporate some exfoliation)

And this is day... 5 or 6, depending on how you count it.

don't try to endure that neutrogena moisturizer if it is stinging, it did the same thing to me, I couldn't hardly get to sleep because it stung. There are others out there that won't do that to your skin.

don't try to endure that neutrogena moisturizer if it is stinging, it did the same thing to me, I couldn't hardly get to sleep because it stung. There are others out there that won't do that to your skin.

Might I ask what you've found that works?

Eucerin Skin Renewal felt good.

I've also sampled Complex 15, and no stinging whatsoever, felt soothing.

And I think most people tolerate Cetaphil moisturizer too, don't recall hearing any complaints with that one.

I also can use an Avon moisturizer, the Anew Advanced All-in-One Max lotion (it has some glycolic in it).

Hope this gives you some ideas.

I think I'm going to order the Cetaphil stuff (and in a month or two change to the Eucerin). The Neutrogena stuff burns even without the bp on (for a while, anyway, not too long), and makes the bp burn, well, like "hellfire." To the point where it's disruptive of my sleep. So maybe I will halt a few days, cleanse/moisturize and spot treat with bp... and then start the countdown over again with moisturizer that hopefully doesn't make my face feel like... hellfire. I love that word.

Aside from the redness, my complexion is looking better, though. A few less pimples that are somewhat smaller. If I weren't very red/burning like hell I would keep going on, but it's nearly unbearable. I may also check out some kind of moisturizer that specifically deals with reducing redness.