Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LADude

Overcorrection of Scars with Silicone

Hello everyone, I would appreciate any advice anyone would have on my issue. I had liposuction performed about 8 years ago. One of the incisions was in the center of my chest to remove fat in the upper abdomen. I was left with a small scar that was especially noticeable because it dented in. Not to mention it's smack dab in the center of my chest. Anyway, it had always bothered me and I'd gotten collagen injected into it a few times to try and flatten it out. About a year and a half ago I went back to the plastic surgeon (who's also a dermatologist) who recommended silicone. He was very enthusiastic about it and said it would raise the scar and flatten it out permanently the way I'd been wanting.

I went for a few session of LIS and initially was happy with the result. After a few months though I noticed a "donuting" effect around the scar -- the skin around the scar was raised more than the scar itself. There's also been some discoloration. In some lighting it's barely if at all noticeable; in other lighting it looks awful, much worse than how it was originally. I've gone to a couple of dermatologists who've injected cortisone -- it really hasn't helped much. The last one I went to was afraid of injecting more lest it "thin the skin." I have no idea what to do at this point -- any suggestions? Recommendations on dermatologists and plastic surgeons in Los Angeles or New York would also be appreciated. Thank you!

Hey LADude.

The BEST doctors to contact about your issue are the Orentreichs in New York City. I would be certain to see either the father or son Orentreich (NOT an associate, etc.) b/c they are the most knowledgable in this country (if not the world) about cosmetic silicone injections. The # is 212-794-0800. As they are famous, and are in New York City, I'm sure the price of a visit(s) will be steep - PLEASE go to their website, which is a wealth of information & DO YOUR RESEARCH - don't just take my word for it - this can be starting point for you. Also, try emailing first to see if you can pick their brains before going in. Best of luck to you...

If you're in LA, see Dr. David M. Duffy. He has been an accomplished critic of LIS for some time. Also teaches at USC. http://www.dermatologytimes.com/dermatolog...il.jsp?id=56502

If you're in NYC, I agree with the other poster, see the Orentreichs (even though I didn't get any appreciable results with LIS after being treated there 4 times). Orentreich Sr. (Norman) is retired, but his son David or daughter (forgot her name) might be able to help you. The only known treatments to improve the type of complication you speak of are cortisone injections or excision, according to my discussion with David O. BTW, he charges $200 per visit, that's just to see him, regardless of whether you're being treated. If you opt for treatment, add that to the visitation fee, each and every time. Notwithstanding this, it's definitely worth it if he can help you...

Hello everyone, I would appreciate any advice anyone would have on my issue. I had liposuction performed about 8 years ago. One of the incisions was in the center of my chest to remove fat in the upper abdomen. I was left with a small scar that was especially noticeable because it dented in. Not to mention it's smack dab in the center of my chest. Anyway, it had always bothered me and I'd gotten collagen injected into it a few times to try and flatten it out. About a year and a half ago I went back to the plastic surgeon (who's also a dermatologist) who recommended silicone. He was very enthusiastic about it and said it would raise the scar and flatten it out permanently the way I'd been wanting.

I went for a few session of LIS and initially was happy with the result. After a few months though I noticed a "donuting" effect around the scar -- the skin around the scar was raised more than the scar itself. There's also been some discoloration. In some lighting it's barely if at all noticeable; in other lighting it looks awful, much worse than how it was originally. I've gone to a couple of dermatologists who've injected cortisone -- it really hasn't helped much. The last one I went to was afraid of injecting more lest it "thin the skin." I have no idea what to do at this point -- any suggestions? Recommendations on dermatologists and plastic surgeons in Los Angeles or New York would also be appreciated. Thank you!