Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GregasGP

The horrible lip dryness thing! Any tips on helping it?

Hi all,

I've got the usual and well expected dry cracked lips on Tane. I have a good selection of lip balms, from Vaseline to E45 through to this highly strong but waxy Carmex stuff. They all work, but not for long.

Is there any way you can gently exfoliate the lips or make the balm last longer? I've heard holding a wet washcloth to restore the moisture helps a little, but its not doing much.

Any advice really appreciated! Thanks all. ;)

For me what works best is to combine Dr. Dan's Cortibalm (it's a waxy formula that contains only beeswax, petroleum, and mineral oil plus 1% cortisone) with something more moisturizing like Clinique's Superbalm or Aquaphor on top. The waxy product provides a barrier that lasts fairly well through eating, showering, that sort of thing. Cortibalm in particular also heals cracks, fissures, and splits due to the cortisone. Unfortunately i don't know if it's available in the UK. The other product gives the lips some moisture to prevent dryness.

Avoid products that will make it worse, like ones containing menthol, camphor, SA, anything like that.

I really liked using Blistex's DCT. It's a tub balm, which is a little annoying, but it seemed to soak in the best. My trick was usually to put a TON of it on every night, that way, you don't start out your day dry.

You can brush your lips really lightly with a soft-bristle toothbrush twice a week (with warm water). Then directly after that, apply the thick balm. Anything thick and oily is going to be your best bed.

Try not to peel your lips when on it, even though you feel you need to :) I am SO guilty of that!

-ellen

I really like Aquaphor ^^^ do what she said though brush your lips after you take your warm shower in the morning to get all the flakes off then put your aquaphor on it works really well

Ive been using blistex medicated lip cream for 3 months

it was the best thing i found in the shops, ppl recomended it onthe boards. and it is one of the best for dry lips, everything else i have tried is shit.

however, the dry lips are still such a pain up the ass. it doesnt stop my lips looking dry, weird, peely or shiney sometimes, even after using blistex all day. ive started to worry more aobut my lips than my acne!

Anyway Ive also just ordered Dr Dans cort balm. Still waiting for it though. I emailed the company and the only place you can purchase it in the Uk in a website called:

www.delasco.com

But i cant see the stuff working wonders, i cant imagine putting a waxy substance on your lips. But hey, it might work better.

Good luck, guy

I tend to go through different phases with the dryness... if I just need moisture I use a cocoa butter stick (lips only!) or this overpriced but great lip balm from Dr. Hauschka. Other days I use Aquaphor to protect them. My favorite everyday lip balm is Sephora's Lip Balm in the silver and red tube.

I've also found that drinking more water to stay hydated helps.

I am in my last month of Accutane :)

What I found to fix that was, buy the Caramex that comes in the little tin. Then at night, peel off all the bits hanging off. It can bleed a bit, so just put some tissue in your mouth so it stops the bleeding. Then load your lips up with Caramex. And I mean load it. That has cleared my lips in as little as one night!

Thanks all, but i've got the feeling most people who've replied are female - as for lip gloss !!!

I'm a 23 year old male and I don't mind slapping a waxy oily substance on at night, but in the day, come on - I can't have shiny lips!! My E45 helps a little, just looks like i'm gonna have to deal with it. :whistle:

Cortibalm isn't shiny.

And regarding Carmex - that's about the worst thing you could put on your lips. It has a huge rebound effect because it contains menthol, camphor, AND salicylic acid. Which is fine for normal lips with cold sores, but on Accutane it will increase peeling, dryness, and sensitivity. I used it during my first course and it's the reason my lips were cracked and bleeding. This time my lips are in much better shape from using more gentle products.

Thanks all, but i've got the feeling most people who've replied are female - as for lip gloss !!!

I'm a 23 year old male and I don't mind slapping a waxy oily substance on at night, but in the day, come on - I can't have shiny lips!! My E45 helps a little, just looks like i'm gonna have to deal with it. :whistle:

Tell me about it, Grr girls have it easier

Cortibalm isn't shiny.

And regarding Carmex - that's about the worst thing you could put on your lips. It has a huge rebound effect because it contains menthol, camphor, AND salicylic acid. Which is fine for normal lips with cold sores, but on Accutane it will increase peeling, dryness, and sensitivity. I used it during my first course and it's the reason my lips were cracked and bleeding. This time my lips are in much better shape from using more gentle products.

That's going in the bin then!!!!!! Thanks mate!