Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I've been on the regimen for almost a week now so I suppose it's about time I start keeping a log!

I first started getting spots when I was about 12. I'm now 22 which means I've suffered at the hands of acne for ten years. It's gone through various degrees of severity over the years, reaching a nadir when I was about 15/16, which is also when I was diagnosed with PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome), which is a major cause of acne. When I was 19 I went on Dianette and stayed on it until this summer. My skin was better than ever during those two and a half years - not perfect but certainly manageable. However, I had to come off Dianette because it started giving me crippling period pains. I'm now on Cilest and my skin has slowly got worse and worse over the past six or seven months. I'm also on Erythromicin but that's doing nothing so I don't know how much longer I'll bother with it. When I found this site I was in the middle of a major breakout and feeling extremely down about it because I hated looking hideous for Christmas.

I'm now on day six of the regimen.

I'm using Witch face wash, Oxy On-the-Spot and Neutrogena Visibly Refined moisturiser.

Day One didn't see much of an impact. Some of the bigger, more inflamed spots did go down overnight though, so I thought it was a promising start.

Day Two was when the redness hit! My skin turned scarlet but it didn't hurt and any dryness I had (which was minimal) was combated by moisturising.

Day Three was New Year's Eve, so I fell off the wagon a bit! I didn't want to look like a tomato, so I just applied a tiny bit of BP directly to the worst spots in the morning and slapped on the moisturiser, then did the regimen properly at night. Though as it was about 2am and I was drunk I'm not sure how well I did it...

Day Four to Day Six (today) have been pretty much the same. My skin is very, very dry after cleansing and stays very, very red for about three or four hours after application of the BP. The spots haven't really gone down any more but they also haven't got worse! I did have a new spot come through on day four, which really annoyed me, but it's now gone! I've never had a spot disappear after two days - I didn't even think it was possible!

It's tough dealing with the dryness and the redness but all in all I'm pretty pleased with the first week so I think I'll be sticking with the regimen for a while.

HI Emily,

just wanted to wish you luck, and let us know if we can help you in any way.

Be strict in the Regimen, and be gentle to your skin. If you are still having trouble with the redness, make sure you didn't begin with too much bp. Start with a tiny amount, and very gradually work up to the full amount.

good luck!

Thanks, Brandy!

Day 12

The redness has finally calmed down! This is great, I no longer look like I have a bad case of sunburn in the middle of winter. I am, however, still very dry and a bit flaky. It's fine once I put moisturiser on but it's very annoying, just after I've washed my face, to feel like I can't smile without my face cracking! It's getting less and less with each day though, so fingers crossed it'll go soon.

One thing which is really annoying me at the moment is the Recurring Spot of Doom. It's right by my left eyebrow - a huge whitehead that I happily popped a few days ago, only for it to have reappeared by the morning. So, I popped again and by the evening ... it had come back. This routine has been going on since Thursday of last week! I've read elsewhere on the board about how BP drags waiting acne to the surface, hence why some people experience a breakout around week 2, so is that what this is? Or is this just a neverending zit?!

Ahh, haha. I feel silly because all I can vouch for is all the redness and dryness -- I have more than enough of that. And itchiness... ugh. But it's good to see you doing better now... a little light at the end of the tunnel for me.

Oh, and I'm no dermatologist or anything (heh, like they seem to know anything?), but I would suspect the initial breakouts to be from all the irritation from the bp. I think the clearing comes into play once your skin gets over the initial irritation.

Thanks sleepflower! I think my skin is getting used to it as the redness and dryness are getting better each day.

Day 14

The regimen is definitely working! I know everyone says acne and diet are unrelated, but I have always woken up with new spots after drinking wine. Well, last night I had two glasses and this morning ... nothing! The only change to my skin was the continued shrinking of the existing spots. And last night my mum, who I hadn't seen for a couple of weeks, commented on how much better my skin is looking :D

One thing which is concerning me a bit is that my face is still stinging after I apply moisturiser. The BP has stopped burning like it did in the first week - now it just tingles a bit, but when I moisturise it stings like hell and stays that way for a few hours. I'm using the Neutrogena moisturiser I've used for years as it's the only one I've ever found which doesn't make me break out or give me an allergic reaction, so I'm hesitant to change it.

Day 20: Eruption!

I don't know what's happened! I've been so good with the regimen but suddenly, two days ago, my forehead and chin were bombarded by an attack of zits. And they're nasty, hard, painful ones as well, that can't be popped or squeezed.

*cries*

Hi Emily Anne,

I know how you feel,at some point when i was 14 my face broke out with spots and had spots ever since for 14 years and lived a life of hell from bullys at school...ect...ect....ect. i used to hate mirrors,cameras,MYSELF and as i got older i hated life so much i did contemplate suicide.

I tried everything available but nothing helped i went to the doctors every other week and they would say "ok that treatment doesnt work,now try this" and found every month the doc would put me on a new medication....still nothing helped,then 2 years ago i came across benzoyl peroxide and at first nothing seemed to happen BUT over the weeks i started to notice a nice change to my skin it took about 6 months of using BP when nearly every spot was gone.....even now after 2 years i still use BP but in very small doses now and ive never looked this good in 16 years.

Ok now DONT CRY !! dont let spots ruin your life like it nearly ruined mine !!!!

i found over the years food DOES NOT affect your skin in anyway ! eat what ever you like !

i found alcohol (wine/larger ect.) does affect skin (if i had a heavy night drinking the next day i would look bad)

i found using lots of different stuff on my face made things worse (eg.moisterizer,aftershave ect.) keeping in mind im a male and know you women use more stuff on your face like make-up ect......stick with 1 thing.

i found taking vitimin c tablets helps as when i get a tan my spots used to disapear the sun helped ALOT and i was told that vitimin c has something to do with the sun in some way.

so i used 1 spot treatment product and vitimin c and it has worked for me.

GoodLuck with your skin xx

oh and yea i remember them spots your describing....the hard lumpy ones that dont produce puss when sueezed just a clear liquid am i right ?.......if so DONT squeeze them (dont squeeze any spot !!) that clear liquid that comes out is VERY infectious if you get abit on your finger and then touch another part of your face with that finger 9 times out of 10 another hard lumpy spot will appear.

scooby2b2

xxxx

Thanks scooby2b2, I needed that pep talk.

My chin is looking better but my forehead is still a mess. However, they are going down way faster than before I went on the regimen so I'm sticking with it.

Day 24: My chin is clear again but there's a horrible patch of dry, red skin where the spots were. The ones on my forehead developed into proper whiteheads so I squeezed them and now they've gone down to dry, red marks that are fairly easy to cover up.

But the dryness. Oh my God, the dryness! It's awful! No matter how much moisturiser I put on, I'm still flaking all around my jawline, my hairline (I look like I've got dandruff! Ew!), and my forehead is peeling. I've got make-up on right now to cover the leftover spots but that's just highlighting the flakes.

This is really getting me down. I just don't know what to do.

Day 29: This is more like it! I've switched from neutrogena moisturiser to Eucerin dry skin relief cream with 5% urea and I love it! No more flakes! I was a bit worried about how expensive it is, especially given the small pot, but it's so powerful that I only have to use a small amount, so it'll last a while.

My cheeks and chin are now clear. Clear! Yay! My forehead is still a bit of problem - no new spots, but the old ones are still being stubborn. They're not whiteheads, just flat, red marks. I might try slapping some tea tree oil on them to speed up their disappearance.

But all in all, I'm pretty damn happy right now!

Day 31: Christ, I am so up and down on this bloody regimen!

The spots on my forehead have dried out to shiny, flat splodges that look horrible. But even worse than that, I have a cluster of tiny red dots all around my eye area. I don't think this has anything to do with the BP because a) I don't put BP round my eyes, obviously! And b) I've had this before. It's an allergic reaction to something but I am buggered if I know what. It could be stress related - I had an exam yesterday and I've been working myself to the bone with revision. I've put some hydrocortisone cream on it and taken some antihistamines so hopefully it'll go down before I have to go out this evening, otherwise I'm going to feel like crap.

God, I hate my skin so much!

Day 36: Knock on wood, things are going well. No new spots and the existing blemishes are getting smaller day by day. The rash has gone and with make-up on I actually look pretty decent! I tried to take some pictures but my digital camera is playing silly buggers so I can't upload them. :(