Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
olbarn

childhood and acne?

yeah, i know you can't change the past, but i wanted to know what people's childhood or homelife was like overall when they were having the acne that has now left them with scars. were you overall a happy, well adjusted kid, or were you noticibly insecure?

i just know for me personally, i wasn't all that happy before i got acne as a teenager. nothing major, but i was going through some family issues that emotionaly stressed me out. i think that made my acne more severe, but to what extent?

so, i was wondering if poeple who had a healthy upbringing, full of love and support, got the severe acne that could scar them? everyone i know that came from a supportive family never really had it that bad.

so, is acne scaring not only a sign of acne itself, but of a troubled past?

Well it is said that what you feel will your skin express. But I only think that counts to some extent for acne. You can get acne and scarring even if you have always been happy - I believe so anyway. But it's difficult to answer thoroughly.

acne is usually just a genetic thing. i have a bit of acne which lead to a little scarring but i have an awesome life and family.. acne doesnt really have an impact on my life at all, probly because its not even bad and it can be well covered up with my makeup. but to answer ur question you can have a happy life growing up and still get it, it's just a genetic thing.

thanks for the replies,

i knew a lot of kids in high school who had great parents and were very well taken care of, and were well accepted by thier peers, etc.-- and a lot of them did have pretty bad acne.

it just seems they didn't end up having scars later on. they were just happy kids no matter what, and there acne just went away without any scars left behind. no big deal at all. it was almost like b/c their acne didn't scar them emotionally, it didn't scar them physically.

i see them today and there skin looks flawless like they never even had acne, and i have to wonder if it was all that positive energy? ha!

i just relized i might have contradicted myself.

i said in my first post that "most of the kids i knew that came from a supportive family never really had acne that bad," and in my last i said, "i knew a lot of kids in high school who had great parents that had pretty bad acne."

good thing i'm not on trail for something!

to clarify: most of the kids who had good upbringings that i knew of, indeed, didn't even get acne that bad.

but thinking about it afterwards, there were a few very happy kids that did have it bad but i've seen them since and they have no scarring.

just had to clear that up, even if no one noticed or cared, to not feel like a senseless moron!

I had a very good upbringing with loving parents and enough food on the table and everything I needed, and suffered from severe acne. It was genetic. Both my mom and dad had acne, so I was screwed from the start.

Acne's genetic. Your own personal tendency to break out due to stress and things like that is already pre-determined in your genes...some people experience high levels of stress and never break out, and some people experience stress and their skin goes beserk.

I was a well-adjusted kid, and got great grades, and had lots of friends, and even would forget I had acne when I wasn't looking in a mirror...but every morning, I was reminded, and it sort of tore me apart inside.

I had a very bad upbringing but I didn't start scarring really until I was an adult.

Acne runs on my dad's side of the family. My aunt, cousins and my dad himself had acne, but never to the extent that me and my brother got it. I have a sister too and although she's 13 and beginning to break out, but I think she was fortunate enough to have my moms good skin because she hasn't broken out the way me and my brother did at her age.

My dad had a better upbringing than my mom because his family were considered the "richy-rich" types comparatively in the neighborhood. He really couldn't complain because his parents provided him with a well adjusted life, but suffered from very mild acne. Yet my mom on the other hand had a very bad upbringing and always had flawless skin.

Either way, both had either good skin or very very mild acne without the scarring. Me and my brother were the unfortunate ones in our entire line aside from my aunt who suffered from more sever cystic acne with the scars.

I think that its mostly genetic although stress can aggrevate it.

I think stress may be the cause of acne in many cases. When I'm on holiday, I'm 100% clear, the moment I climb in front of the books or go back to varsity, the acne is back and then it's bad. When I'm skipping some sleep to keep up with the projects, the mild acne go severe.

Wish it isn't genetic, at least then I can do something about it :(

check this out: neither of my parents had bad skin. out of 4 kids, three of us had it. i think its food related a lot. chemicals, additives, preservatives, etc.

i know there is a genetic tendency for acne, but you have to wonder why, biologically, would the body naturally just self-destruct in such a way as to cause permanent scaring? i think it's natural for human beings to have oily skin and get breakouts when they’re growing up, but i just can't understand why it would turn so severe without some other cause.

i've always felt that severe acne can be psychosomatic. I think it can be a symptom of something else besides just too much bacteria and oil. I think something inside can turn oily adolescent skin into a destructive case of acne I don’t want to get too psychological, but I even think the inner distress might not even be apparent to the person.

but maybe i'm wrong, that's why i wanted to know how others felt when they were growing up. but obviously there are a lot of people out there who had great childhoods and felt okay inside and still had bad cases.