Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Anyone had to have a cyst drained??

I am going to the doc today and i'm going to ask her to drain it instead of inject it with cortisone.....it's been there for about 3 weeks and feels "soft" ( not to be gross....) on the inside, and I think it could be drained...

anyone out there had this done? I'm just glad i'm going to get something done about it...it has bothered me for almost a month!!!!!

UPDATE:

Well, i had it drained and that was NO FUN, let me tell ya...it was a very deep cyst and the doc said lots of stuff came out...but she still injected it with a very low dose of the cortisone because she said it would heal faster....and since it was so deep, there was a chance she didn't get everything!!! MY GOD!!! I've had cysts before, lots of em...but i don't remember one that was this persistant and this deep...god, I hope it goes away......

She also gave me a prescrip for minocycline and a z-pack to take immediately, until the swelling and infection ( hopefully) goes away......

Any kind words or thoughts would be greatly appreciated as I am feeling pretty shaky right now!!!!

Thanks!!

Anyone had to have a cyst drained??

I am going to the doc today and i'm going to ask her to drain it instead of inject it with cortisone.....it's been there for about 3 weeks and feels "soft" ( not to be gross....) on the inside, and I think it could be drained...

anyone out there had this done? I'm just glad i'm going to get something done about it...it has bothered me for almost a month!!!!!

Hey, hope it all heals nice and quickly for you. The mino will help prevent additional infection and help with swelling as well. You'll be fine and your beautiful self in no time.

cheers

I had a monster drained that was right on the front of my face next to my nose. It was nasty! I think I should have gone to a derm, but he was booked so my family doctor lanced and drained it. He squeezed it so hard that it was just throbbing when I was done. I felt like I had been in a prize fight. He put me on an antibiotic (Augmentin - pretty strong one) and it healed up in about a week, but it took about a year for the red spot to fade.

I wish I had known about cortisone injections at the time. I should have done that early on and it probably would have been stopped dead in its tracks.

I had a monster drained that was right on the front of my face next to my nose. It was nasty! I think I should have gone to a derm, but he was booked so my family doctor lanced and drained it. He squeezed it so hard that it was just throbbing when I was done. I felt like I had been in a prize fight. He put me on an antibiotic (Augmentin - pretty strong one) and it healed up in about a week, but it took about a year for the red spot to fade.

I wish I had known about cortisone injections at the time. I should have done that early on and it probably would have been stopped dead in its tracks.

You know, the cyst injections aren't the "miracle" that i hoped for when i first started getting them done years ago....I would say that, on average, they would go away completely about 50% of the time, and the other 50%, it would either have no effect at all, or it would go down and then come back up a week later and almost be worse!! And, i've also had the area around the injection "sink in" several times...twice it was so bad that it didn't go away for 2 months!!!

So, in general, I don't get them done anymore...as a matter of fact, before yesterday, it had been almost 3 years since i'd had one done...and i'm hoping that she diluted the cortisone enought that it won't "sink in" this time....yeesh...

But, i'm happy to report that today, the spot is much reduced...still somewhat swollen and a bit bruised from where she squeezed the hell out of it ( yuck and ouch) but nothing that I can't manage with a bit of really good cover up!!! I"m just glad that (knock on wood) the worst of it is over...

I started the minocycline today because the zithromycin completely tore my stomach up, so the derm just said to start the mino 1000mg, once per day...I"ve had good luck with the mino in the past, so i'll keep my fingers crossed that i never have to experience such a cyst again!!!!

Hey, hope it all heals nice and quickly for you. The mino will help prevent additional infection and help with swelling as well. You'll be fine and your beautiful self in no time.

cheers

:D Thanks so much!!!