Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JDW39

Doctor Not Prescribing Accutane

Well I guess I should start off with a little history about myself, I started having acne around 13 years old, and when it got bad enough (I'd say you would classify it as "moderate") I started visiting a dermotologist. Since then I've tried countless drugs such as Benzaclin, Retin-A, Diferin, and many types of antibiotics. All have pretty much failed. I have fairly stubborn but small red spots/whiteheads on my chin, smaller blemishes around the rest of my face, and pretty large whiteheads on my shoulders.

Anyhow, I asked my doctor about Accutane, but he insists that I do not have bad enough acne. I don't mean to be paranoid or anything, but it seems to me like it is in his best interests to keep me off Accutane. If Accutane is supposed to be this acne curing wonderdrug (with the bad side effects I know), economically it makes sense for him to keep me off it. With $200 "acne surgery" (really just popping my pimples) each visit, I guess I don't blame him as to why he'd try to keep me off it. I tried visiting other dermotologists in the clinic, but they seem equally as hesitant. Has anyone seem to had this experience, or is it all in my head?

Kind of makes me wonder sometimes whether I'm lucky I don't have severe acne, or unlucky that I don't qualify for a drug that would take it all away. :confused:

Not injections, no. He basically goes over my face with that pimple popper. My family insurance program pays for it, I just pay a small copay every visit. But I view how much it costs (that they charge the insurance company) and it is about $200 every visit for this procedure.

Just fuck those derm's and the bullshit they put you through to get that perscription..get it online...its expensive...but worth it...about 160 bucks for a package of 30 of 20mg....buy 2 packages and itll cost you 300 for month supply...thats a pretty penny...but worth it

Acne ruined my life once already, back in my late teens. I went to a dermatologist who eventually gave me Accutane but wouldn't give me enough so it lingered on in to my early twenties. Out of nowhere, my family doctor since childhood just started giving it to me w/refills, no tests, nothing. It was the best thing that ever happened to me. The doctor soon retired and after my 40mg pills ran out, to my surprise my skin stayed clear. I had taken those pills for a very long time (2+ years) as "maintenance" and it was worth the risk. I never would have been able to socialize like I did throughout my 20s. So now I'm almost 31 years old and due to stress that was born from failed relationships and work, the acne is back. Granted, it is not as severe as it once was but it is horrible nonetheless and has taken control of my life again. I've adjusted to the work problems and am long over the relationships but the acne persists and the reason is that I have again been reprogrammed by this problem. The acne is now the cause of my stress and the result of my stress. I've tried for two years to beat this without medical assistance and now am ready to get help so I can enjoy life again. Needless to say, it is extremely difficult to get a doctor to prescribe it even when the acne is of the highest severity. I tried a couple of times and basically get treated like a crazy person. So if anyone out there can offer me serious advice on 1)How to find a doctor in my area that will not hesitate to prescribe it to me. OR 2)How to securely purchase online without a prescription, this help would be tremendously appreciated.

Guest Fearless*Bunny

Can you get a new darm?

Needless to say, it is extremely difficult to get a doctor to prescribe it even when the acne is of the highest severity. I tried a couple of times and basically get treated like a crazy person. So if anyone out there can offer me serious advice on 1)How to find a doctor in my area that will not hesitate to prescribe it to me.

It sounds sexist, but i have found that female derms are much more sympathetic to acne treatment than male derms. So you might try that angle. You can also shop around until you find a derm that's at least open to the possibility. Maybe they won't be comfortable prescribing it right away, but perhaps after you try other treatments under their direction. Also consider the idea that it may not have come back bad enough to justify another course and really give some other treatments a chance.

jdw, i have been in the same situation. i had moderate acne and my derm didnt wanna prescribe accutane, after all the other drugs failed i just told him straight up acne is killing me and i dont go out anymore etc. he finally gave in after a few months of seriously harassing him. i was calling every few days lol. anyways accutane worked well, however as ive said so many times before most of the acne is back now a year and a half later. i saw someone above say buy it off the internet which i did recently, it is quite pricey but works just as well. however it is easier and cheaper if u can get ur derm to just prescribe it. alot of people are in ur situation man, be creative and think of ideas of how to get him to prescribe it.

beentheredonethat, hey I hear ya...but I've really tried everything and the only thing that works for me is the accutane...my problem is the amount of oil my skin kicks out...it is a lot less than it was as a teenager but still bad...at it's worst point it was really ridiculous...when I was like 17, 18, I would wash my face and not even an hour later my face was simply covered, I mean COVERED in oil...I could run my fingers across my face and they would just be saturated and shiny...you could see the shine on my face from across the room...this would be minutes after I showered or just washed my face...retin-A was pointless...my derm back then actually had me try tetracycline for a month first...I mean c'mon doc look at me...he was an insensitive dick, like most people who haven't had to go through this...

for me, it has been so traumatic that anything is a nightmare...I can deal with little ones no problem, I use dermablend to cover them up...but every few weeks I manage to get one of the larger ones and they are so big and so red that there might as well be twenty of them on my face...actually I'm wrong when I say larger ones, it is more like 4 or 5 of them in the exact same spot so it turns into a huge pile of them and looks like a giant one...they take two weeks to go away and another three weeks or so for the scar to shrink and fade enough...