Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SugarJen

Skin developing a tolerance?

I was on erythromycin and clindamycin (of course, after being on everything else, topical and oral)... and my skin became PERFECTLY clear and not oily!

Then one day I went on away for a few months and I broke out terribly... and it's STILL experiencing terrible breakouts.

Did/ Could my skin develop a tolerance to the meds? Has yours?

Now I've switched back to Retin-A Micro (ugh I hateee it - i get dry, peely, red, and oily)

Yeah. The bacteria can develop resistance to antibiotics. This can take a few months to a year. That's why doctors change them every so often.

If Retin-A micro is too irritating, try switching to Differin, it's less drying/ irritating.

It's usually good to be on both a topical retinoid (Retin-A, Differin, Tazorac) as well as an antibiotic (topical or oral, I favor topical, but that's just me). BP, an antimicrobial is great at getting rid of the bacteria, and the bacteria can't develop a resistance to it the way they can to antibiotics, but it won't get rid of clogged pores alone. That's why a retinoid is used.