Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bimbles

Thinking of switching to Accutane .. please advise

I've pretty much tried everything under the sun for my acne from the age of 16 - Tetracyclin, Benzamycin Gel, Minocin, Differin, Clindoxyl Gel, I'm currently using Diane 35 (OCP) for acne .. but I've had the worst breakout ever on it .. and now my skin is a mess .. Mind you, I've only been on it for 3 months .. but I feel like it's not really doing the job. I'm currently considering going on Accutane .. but I'm not really sure if my acne is severe enough to risk some of the side effects. I have a lot of red marks on both my cheeks, the right cheek a little more pronounced than the left cheek .. and cysts/pustules on my left cheek. I did have a round of cystic acne on my right cheek that has slowly died down .. I feel like I'm on the verge of flaring up again as I'm starting to get small pustules on my chin and forehead .. but don't know. I'm just so sick of cystic acne as I'm very prone to scarring and I don't want to be left with permanent evidence of acne.

So yes, currently considering going on accutane .. but don't know .. currenly, my differin has my skin very dry and red .. Please advise.

PS - I've been doing the acne dance for 8 years now .. I think it's high time to move to something that could take care of it more effectively .. no?

post-34583-1136253851_thumb.jpg

post-34583-1136253876_thumb.jpg

post-34583-1136253851_thumb.jpg

post-34583-1136253876_thumb.jpg

From those pictures it is hard to tell what is active acne and what is redness from previous breakouts. But it does look like you would be a candidate for accutane.

Personally, I would recommend taking accutane. It is a very harsh drug but based on my personal experience it was well worth it.

I've been finished a 7month course of Accutane for about three weeks. During my course I experienced only dry lips and skin as well as only one nosebleed. These side effects really weren't much more than a nuissance to me.

After about 4months my skin started to clear considerably. By the time I was finishing my course I was getting maybe a zit every week or two. Now, three weeks after finishing my course I haven't even had one tiny pimple. My lips are hardly dry at all anymore, my skin isn't dry at all and since the flushing and dryness have subsided my skin looks amazing. I still have several red spots but I can already tell that they are healing more quickly since I have finished my course.

I always told myself that my acne wasn't such a big deal, but now that it is gone I can tell you that it was. I never find myself thinking about my acne anymore. I don't obsessively look in the mirror to see what has sprouted up in the last 10mins. I feel much more confident. And I'm not sure if this is a result of the increased confidence or improved appearance (likely a little of both) but I seem to get much more attention from girls.

The only regret I have when it comes to taking accutane is that I didn't do it sooner. I, like you, had struggled with acne for years. Had I resorted to accutane sooner who knows how much emotional and physical scarring I could have avoided.

I should probably also mention that I was very wary of alot of the side effects. So much so that I put off taking accutane for a couple of months.

That is just my experience though, and everyone does react differently. You'll find alot of negative anecdotes with accutane on this site, so I thought I would share with you my entirely positive one as well. Good luck with whatever you choose.