Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RobDude

How long does it take to know if something is working?

If I try a new acne treatment/product *today* how long do I need to wait before I can say it works or it doesn't? And...why does it take that long?

I've read that a pimple takes a week to form, but I've also heard that it takes 24 hours. If it takes a week to form, then around 2 weeks you should notice if the product is working. I usally give it 3-4 weeks to test any product.

If I try a new acne treatment/product *today* how long do I need to wait before I can say it works or it doesn't? And...why does it take that long?

What acne product is it? :)

What acne product is it? :)

I started taking B5 a week ago, so that's the one I'm thinking about right now. The problem is, I waited until I had a real bad breakout to say 'Okay, it's time to try something new'. I started taking B5 and it seemed like things were getting better, but since my face was looking worse than average - I could have done nothing and it would have gotten better.

Anyway, it's been a week and it seems like it's not really helping, even though I tried to convince myself that it was. I'm upping the dose and I'll take it for at least another week or two (might as well take all of the pills), but there are so many other 'treatments' on this site, I'm just curious how long I have to use it to see if it's working.

Three months should be enough time to really see if it's working. It seems like a long time but it really takes 8-12 weeks to form a pimple. Before a pimple is a pimple it begins as a microcomedo, a tiny blockage in a pore. With over 20,000 pores on your face there could be literally thousands of microcomedoes, that are waiting to turn into pimples. Some of them resolve on their own, but some don't and become comedoes, or if the blockage is deeper, the pore ruptures and they can become papules, pustules, nodes or cysts.

Using something like BP you could see results much faster, but the microcomedoes are still there so the minute treatment is stopped the acne will return.

I'm not too sure what B5 does for acne. I know it's necessary for the fat metabolism, synthesis of cholesterol and the synthesis steroid hormones....since it seems to influence hormones, possibly reducing sebum production, it'd probably take 2-3 months to notice results.

A week, IMO, is not enough time. I say *at least* a month, sometimes longer. If you're taking a vitamin, I would say you need to give it more time, as it's something your body has to adjust to as well. I've never seen anything that gave those instant results we'd all love to have. I've been on my regimen for 2 months and it took right at 4 weeks before I saw a difference, and it continues to get better. A lot of the time something new will have a stage of "purging" so it looks as if your skin is getting worse not better. That isn't always the case. All the bacteria and pimples have to go somewhere, and to the surface of your face is where they go, it's the only way to get rid of them. So an out break of acne when trying something new isn't always a bad thing, it shows that whatever you're using is working and pushing all the bacteria to the surface to be treated.

I've had pimples stick around for weeks on end, and then finally go away. Stick with it, you need longer than a week to know if it's working.