Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PimplesAndWrinkles

48 Year Old Man On Accutane

wow just finished reading your whole thread im so happy for you dad. lol jk . well i hope everythign goes great for you and you get acne out of your system for good. can i ask how do you pay for your medicine?? im thinking of getting accutane myself since im so tierd of this crap already im a 19 male and have had it since i was 15 so about 5 years of continuous breakouts over and over again. and if i wasnt brekaing out my skin was all uneven and a mess. then i worrie about that then bam breakouts! it's a never ending struggle to tell you the truth. its messed with my whole life. i got my GED because ic ouldnt face going to school anymore. always had friends and made them easily but my whole mental makeup was destroyed. it was hell every morning lets just say that. so now i've just beens itting at hoem waiting for mys kin to ehal so i can look descent. but like always i still breakout. i started retin-a i bought over the itnernet and that cream makes me brekaout in white heads galore. i think its the cream bringin all the junk in my pores to surface. i also suffer from really really oily skin. its uncomfortable. every morning waking up and feeling sticky and dirty. thats the reason why i need accutane becaus eof all the oil that seeps out of my pores and i wonder why i got so many dman whiteheads! so you see my problem is oil. so thats why i need accutane. but right now i just dont haev the money . hopefully when my skin starts looking descent i hope. i will get a job and start saving up. i dont know if i should go to a derm since its just going to cost more money for the visit etc etc. plus the pills. im tlaking about maybe 5,000 dollars when its all said and done and i jut\st dont have that kind of money :( so im wondering if you have insurance?? or pay for it cash? seriosuly your skin sounds just like mine but only difference , im 19 and looks like my skin isn't going to change anytime soon unless i decide to change it with accutane. God i wish i had money. MOney makes the owrld go round. looking forward to y our reply.

Hello S&S,

I am fortunate to have insurance, so I pay a $20 copay for each office visit and $15 for each prescription. You are right the the cost of a course of Accutane is thousands of dollars. Have you talked to your parents about this? There must be someone you know who can help with this if it is having such a dramatic effect on your life.

Best Wishes to You,

P&W

yeh lets just say were not the most richest people on the earth. well how much do you pay for insurance monthly??

the only way im goign to decide on doing this is if i save the money myself.

Hi there,

Good for you for doing something about your skin. I am only 23 and I am kicking myself for not doing something sooner, but can't go back in time so I am just going to be thankful that anything can be done at all!

Courage is something I have not had for a while. Thankfully the accutane is helping me with that!

Hi there,

Good for you for doing something about your skin. I am only 23 and I am kicking myself for not doing something sooner, but can't go back in time so I am just going to be thankful that anything can be done at all!

Courage is something I have not had for a while. Thankfully the accutane is helping me with that!

Thanks for reading, Trenem!

It's strange, because I didn't have what I'd call persistent problems with acne for most of my adult life. I had some in college and it bothered me, but I didn't know what to do about it. Also, there weren't as many options back then, but I never pursued it anyway. In my 20's and 30's, I'd still get the occasional pimple, and every once in a while I'd get a big one on my nose (no fun!), but it was every year or two, nothing worth going to the doctor for.

It was in my 40's when things started getting persistently worse and especially the last 3-4 years. That's when I started going to a derm. I think it's also harder when you are older because nobody expects a 40-something guy to be having acne problems. When a teen or college kid has acne, it's distressing, but there are many others in the same boat. When you feel like you are the only one, it can be discouraging!

Anyway, I'm really glad I've taken tha Accutane so far, after almost 12 weeks. I just hope/pray that it will last. I don't think that's too much to ask for when you're almost a senior citizen, is it?

Hang in there - and have COURAGE!

P&W

Im so happy to hear that you were courageous enough to go. I feel the same way with age, and I am 23. None of my friends had an acne problem, or really ever did. I worked as a camp counselor this summer and last and no one ever wore makeup just showered and went about their day. It was so hard to do that for me and feel so self concious. I will soon be on my way to feeling comfy in my own skin.

Its a huge bummer. I always love it when my clear skinned friends get one little zit and obsess about it all day long. I sit there listening then unable to even look them in the eye. If they are that uspet about one zit, what do then think when they look at me!!

Just a quick note - it's been two weeks today without a single blemish on my face. I did get one on my neck this past week that turned into a pretty big one, but it's healing up already. And the neck isn't so bad! My scalp used to break out pretty badly, but I've got a thick head of hair, so who cares? Haven't had a thing on my scalp for a long time.

Things are good and getting better!

Thanks for reading everyone and keep up the COURAGE!

P&W

Its a huge bummer. I always love it when my clear skinned friends get one little zit and obsess about it all day long. I sit there listening then unable to even look them in the eye. If they are that uspet about one zit, what do then think when they look at me!!

Hi dear friend :)

I agree with you on that one. We tend to obsess over ourselves - and that is what other people are doing. My mom always tells me that everyone is too busy thinking about themselves to think about your flaws until you call attention to them! I have to try to remember that.

I'm still researching your PM so I can answer thoroughly and correctly. I'll respond as soon as my answer has matured a little! Thanks for everything, you rock!

TG

Hello Fellow Face Fanatics,

I went to the derm today for my 12 week checkup. Blood work was excellent! Triglycerides at 53, cholesterol at 200 (up from my baseline, but not dramatically). She was very pleased with the results. I've got a great derm - after reading many posts here, it makes me realize how fortunate I am.

This was my first time to fill a script under iPledge. The derms office is really on top of it - they set me up two months ago and had everything ready today. I got the script filled faster than normal! Hooray!

She was a little concerned about my heel pain. When I asked her if it will go away when I'm done, she said "I hope so...." This has me a little concerned. I sure don't want to be disabled for life from the 'tane. Does anyone have any information on recovery from aches and pains? This isn't joint or muscle pain. She thinks it's where the Achilles tendon attaches to the back of the heel.

She says my face looks GREAT! I had a little flaking of the skin by the sides of my nose and she thought it might be some kind of dermititis (I forget the technical term). She said to avoid moisturizing it and wash it in the shower with some dandruff shampoo. It's really insignificant - barely noticeable- but I'll take her advice.

She also suggested bumping my dose up a little since my skin isn't very dry. So, we agreed that I'll take an extra pill every other day for an average daily dose of 100 mg. If I don't like the side effects (rash, red face, soreness, etc) I can back it down.

Last night I was playing tennis and one of the guys I play with every 2-3 weeks told me I look like I've been in the sun. I really don't think I'm red in the face, but maybe it's been gradual and people who haven't seen me for a while notice. I asked my wife and she says I look normal. Hmmm.... I stared in the mirror at various angles and couldn't really tell. This is the fourth time this has happened to me since I started the Accutane.

This is getting long. Things are good. Thanks for reading!

P&W

P&W-

You are such a pleasure! I love reading your posts. I am so glad you are doing so well. It is inspiration for us who are weeks behind you :) I am glad your derm is on top of things...I'm starting to have doubts about the women in my derm's office. I really like him but his staff seems to slack a bit, oh they would hate to work for me!

Anyway, keep posting and take care of that heel.

Ang

Hey P&W. 35/F here. I've been keeping up with your log. Will be starting accutane myself in a few weeks. After reading numerous logs on this site I am no longer nervous about starting my journey just anxious to get started. I'll be keeping up with your posts. :dance:

Angel - thanks for reading! Did you know that your Avatar pic looks exactly like my derm? And that's a compliment!

Jules - I'm glad the log helps you. I'm doing this to keep track of my own progress and hoping that it will help someone, so hearing from you keeps me motivated to keep logging! Also, maybe I'll read it to my grandchildren some day for their bedtime story. That would be sure to put them to sleep! zzzzzzzzzzz.............

P&W

I don't think you are boring... I love reading accutane logs. (I know, how weird am i??)

I guess I'm weird too, because I can lose all track of time while reading Accutane logs. I wonder if you can get therapy for this? :D :confused:

Week #12

Cool Clever Complexion Comrades,

Today is the last day of week 12. I have posted most of the exciting news previously, after my derm appointment. A couple more things.

I've had a rash on the back of my hands three times now, all in the past month. Each time, applying Aquaphor seems to stop it and it fades in a couple of days.

I was out snowshoeing for two hours today and two people at work told me I look like I've been in the sun (one even used the word "sunburned"). I didn't think much of it, but after the second comment, I looked in a mirror and sure enough, I had a slight sunburn. It was a bright, sunny day and lots of white snow to reflect the sun. I wasn't wearing sunscreen - bad me. This tells me that my skin is certainly more sun sensitive on the Accutane and I need to be more careful about wearing sunscreen. Maybe I'll get an SPF 30.

My face is still CLEAR! Yippeee! It was about 2-1/2 weeks ago that I last had a pimple on my face, and very small ones for a few weeks before that. I've also been backing off on the BP - haven't used it in two days and may just stay off it for a while.

Until next time ...

P&W

One more antecdote:

I was picking up my script at the pharmacy and the pharmacist says: Has he ever taken this drug before? He was thinking, no doubt, that I was picking this up for one of my kids. I said, "ahem, uh, no, it's for me." He just looked at me rather strangely and said "OK."

I don't know if it was my age or that I don't look like I need it because my face is clear. Maybe both. But he did look surprised that I was getting Accutane for myself. Maybe next time I'll send my son to pick it up for me! :D

I like your Alliteration, it's pretty catchy!

Yeah, you gotta load on that sunscreen! I plan on running in a couple of weeks and I have already started reminding myself I need to load on the sunscreen everytime before I go out.

And I'll bet he said the akward "Okay" because your face is looking good :D

Thanks for the comment. So wow you are halfway done? That is soooo awesome. I definitely cannot wait till the summer so I can be off and pimple free. Ok good luck with the rest of your treatment

Just dropping in to say sorry for the silence, and to let you know that Mr T thinks that this log is the bee's knees. Great about the clear skin P&W! Have also had two or three comments about "looking suntanned" in the staff-room. I just smile and nod, blaming it on the excessive time I spend outside each day (about 20 minutes walking the dog and a half hour run, he he!). May the happy days continue for you :D

I spent the afternoon skiing and tried to keep covered, but I've got a pretty healthy glow right now! It seems to wear off overnight, but it's definitely noticeable. I've never had sensitive skin, so this is a new one for me. I normally tan very easily without much burning, if any.

I'm wondering what summer will be like if a little winter sun is doing this to me? I think I'll be done with my course around June 1st. Who knows how long the sensitive skin is supposed to last post-Tane?

One update on my status: Starting today I'm doing 120mg every MWF. If I do this for the remainder of my course, it will shorten things up by about two weeks. If I feel like I can't tolerate it, I'll back down to my 80 mg/day.

Heel pain and other aches are pretty good the last couple of days. Two possible explanations: fish oil twice daily for the past two weeks, or I've been working out only every other day. Other than that, it just may be the will of the Accutane Gods!

I hope everyone is well! What a fun bunch of people to interact with. We need to have a grand reunion when everyone is done with this. Would it be called a reunion if we've never been together before? Or just a union? Hmmm....

P&W

I hope everyone is well! What a fun bunch of people to interact with. We need to have a grand reunion when everyone is done with this. Would it be called a reunion if we've never been together before? Or just a union? Hmmm....

It's funny... i've noticed that this website seems to have "graduating classes" of Taners. :P It really is so much easier to get through Accutane with all the resources of the internet (including support groups and the resulting product recommendations) at your fingertips.

I spent the afternoon skiing and tried to keep covered, but I've got a pretty healthy glow right now! It seems to wear off overnight, but it's definitely noticeable. I've never had sensitive skin, so this is a new one for me. I normally tan very easily without much burning, if any.

I'm wondering what summer will be like if a little winter sun is doing this to me? I think I'll be done with my course around June 1st. Who knows how long the sensitive skin is supposed to last post-Tane?

You using sunscreen?