Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mameha

My Jessfoliation regimen

After being inspired by Jessicastuart24 and jan_carlo I've adopted new habits (and tossed harmful ones) that have made my skin feel better than it has in years. At the moment I'm working on repairing red marks (and one horribly persistent cyst that I'm not sure how to handle >:|) and preventing any new pimples from forming. Patience is key, I know the red marks will vanish in time.

Acne type

I'd classify my acne as pretty mild (just a scattering of a few small red bumps) until stress hits me. I'd feel that dreaded tingling (on my chin especially) that's a precursor to nasty breakouts complete with painful red nodules and cysts. Acne doesn't run in my family (my 17-year-old brother never even washes his face and gets maybe one zit a year) so I'm hoping if I take on a healthier lifestyle and learn to cope with stress better I can remedy myself.

Morning & Night

-Cetaphil face wash

-Gentle exfoliation using a pedicure brush

-Neosporin cream

Changes in diet

-A lot of water

-Green tea tablets

-More fruit (oranges and lemons in particular)

Makeup

-*edit* Bare Minerals!! Hands down the best foundation.

The best change I've made

Tossing my topical medications and antibiotics in the trash. It feels so much better not slathering chemicals on my face and not ingesting pills that made my head spin and stomach ache. Not to mention all the money I'll save! Before this regimen I'd ALWAYS find a new zit crop up here and there. Now, all I'm left with are red marks (which the neosporin greatly helps with).

Stupid cyst

I've got a derm appointment thursday to get this injected but I'm not going to get my hopes up too much. I had a similar one on my forehead that came back after being injected and the only way I knocked it out was to drain it myself. I'll keep my fingers crossed! This is the only thing that's really keeping me down (it's so obvious even when covered in makeup :/).

Just gotta keep my head up and work on being healthy :D Best of luck to all of you!

After being inspired by Jessicastuart24 and jan_carlo I've adopted new habits (and tossed harmful ones) that have made my skin feel better than it has in years. At the moment I'm working on repairing red marks (and one horribly persistent cyst that I'm not sure how to handle >:|) and preventing any new pimples from forming. Patience is key, I know the red marks will vanish in time.

Acne type

I'd classify my acne as pretty mild (just a scattering of a few small red bumps) until stress hits me. I'd feel that dreaded tingling (on my chin especially) that's a precursor to nasty breakouts complete with painful red nodules and cysts. Acne doesn't run in my family (my 17-year-old brother never even washes his face and gets maybe one zit a year) so I'm hoping if I take on a healthier lifestyle and learn to cope with stress better I can remedy myself.

Morning & Night

-Cetaphil face wash

-Gentle exfoliation using a pedicure brush

-Neosporin cream

Changes in diet

-A lot of water

-Green tea tablets

-More fruit (oranges and lemons in particular)

Makeup

-Neutrogena Healthy Skin Makeup (the skin clearing kind dried me out and just irritated my face). I wouldn't use anything else, you only need a very small amount of this to get excellent coverage. To cover pimples and red marks, I remove the cap and dip a clean makeup brush in it. Since moisture has evaporated from the makeup left in the cap, it can be used as a concealer. I can look like I have absolutely flawless skin if I gently dab the brush on any red marks or pimples and it never causes me to break out.

The best change I've made

Tossing my topical medications and antibiotics in the trash. It feels so much better not slathering chemicals on my face and not ingesting pills that made my head spin and stomach ache. Not to mention all the money I'll save! Before this regimen I'd ALWAYS find a new zit crop up here and there. Now, all I'm left with are red marks (which the neosporin greatly helps with).

Stupid cyst

I've got a derm appointment thursday to get this injected but I'm not going to get my hopes up too much. I had a similar one on my forehead that came back after being injected and the only way I knocked it out was to drain it myself. I'll keep my fingers crossed! This is the only thing that's really keeping me down (it's so obvious even when covered in makeup :/).

Just gotta keep my head up and work on being healthy :D Best of luck to all of you!

Hey

I just posted about a cyst on my jawline that i am going to go and ask the doc to drain this time instead of inject it.....I"ve had injected cysts before that go down and then come back up and seem WORSE than they were initially!! I also had a cyst injected once that sunk in and stayed that way for months!!! so, i'm hoping she'll just drain it for me...otherwise, i'm tempted to try it myself, which scares me since i dont have the proper tools...but it feels "soft" at this point and seems to have a head forming....

As far as your regimin goes, I'm going to do something similar...I did antiobiotics off and on for years and, while they would initially work, they would always leave me feeling sick and dizzy and i would become immune to them after a while

I've done every cream- literally- that they make......my husband is always telling me that i do too much to my skin and i'm starting to think he is correct, especially after reading Jess's posts and others who have had success with the "less is more" philosophy...

Thanks for posting your regimin. I think i'll try the neutrogena makeup too....

keep us posted about how it's going for you!!

Hey

I just posted about a cyst on my jawline that i am going to go and ask the doc to drain this time instead of inject it.....I"ve had injected cysts before that go down and then come back up and seem WORSE than they were initially!! I also had a cyst injected once that sunk in and stayed that way for months!!! so, i'm hoping she'll just drain it for me...otherwise, i'm tempted to try it myself, which scares me since i dont have the proper tools...but it feels "soft" at this point and seems to have a head forming....

As far as your regimin goes, I'm going to do something similar...I did antiobiotics off and on for years and, while they would initially work, they would always leave me feeling sick and dizzy and i would become immune to them after a while

I've done every cream- literally- that they make......my husband is always telling me that i do too much to my skin and i'm starting to think he is correct, especially after reading Jess's posts and others who have had success with the "less is more" philosophy...

Thanks for posting your regimin. I think i'll try the neutrogena makeup too....

keep us posted about how it's going for you!!

Hey there -

That's my plan too - to get the cyst drained. I had the same thing happen to me with the injections, I'd feel the injected cyst start to hurt and then swell up again to an even bigger size :confused: If your cyst comes to a head I'd give it a go with a sterilized needle (but I dunno, none of my cysts have ever come to a head...they feel the way you describe, soft on the inside). The side effects of antibiotics suck - when I was on minocycline I'd have to lie down and will myself not to vomit and I got immune to it anyway.

Yeah I'd give Jess's regimen a shot, my skin has never responded to anything so well. When I was on differin and clindamycin I'd still break out on occasion and think "Well it's only a couple of spots..maybe it's working" but now I have zero :)

Best of luck to you! I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Still waking up to no active acne.

The red marks are fading and any pimples I had before are being healed at a rate that's five times faster than usual (thanks to the neosporin).

The cyst is slowly diminishing. I've been applying 1% hydrocortisone cream with a q-tip before applying the neosporin cream.

Overall things are looking up :D

I'll check back at 5 weeks to see if you're still clear. That's about the longest I've gotten clear for with "failed" regimens.

I'll check back at 5 weeks to see if you're still clear. That's about the longest I've gotten clear for with "failed" regimens.

Yeah it is still pretty early...but this is the first time since I was about 12 that I haven't woken up to a new zit or two.

So I got my cyst drained yesterday. For some reason I thought there'd be more squeezing involved but all he did was take a syringe needle and gently let most of the fluid out before injecting a small amount of cortisone. The whole procedure was pretty much painless. The cyst was swollen still and bruised looking last night but I woke up to see it flatten considerably and the discoloration is gone.

My derm commented on how well the rest of my face was clearing up so he didn't recommend any further medication and sent me home empty handed. Every day I wake up and see nothing but improvement. The pimples that dotted my cheeks are 99.9% gone and I'm still working on red marks from the more long lasting zits I had.

Just wanted to say that I totally agree with you about the Neutrogena skin clearing makeup ... it has salicylic acid in it, right? Too drying for overall usage.

But I do think the Neutrogena skin clearing spot coverup is great for pimples that haven't dried up yet.

Q

Just wanted to say that I totally agree with you about the Neutrogena skin clearing makeup ... it has salicylic acid in it, right? Too drying for overall usage.

But I do think the Neutrogena skin clearing spot coverup is great for pimples that haven't dried up yet.

Q

Oh yeah...that is good stuff. I use it to get rid of any lingering back pimples.

Still no pimples at all? My pimples are all fading, but I'm getting a lot of bug bites (really gotta clean and vacuum my bedroom) Which piss me off because I unconsciously scratch them and it makes the whole area red for hours.

Still no pimples at all? My pimples are all fading, but I'm getting a lot of bug bites (really gotta clean and vacuum my bedroom) Which piss me off because I unconsciously scratch them and it makes the whole area red for hours.

Actually I got one new small pimple on my cheek due to me being overly tired (and hormonal :redface: ) and just wiping a makeup remover cloth over my face last night. It's odd because it's really not painful at all and new zits that form are usually more prominent and sore.

Ah bug bites :/ Does Benadryl help? I live in Minnesota and when it's warm out I've always got mosquitoes floating about and it drives me insane. I try not to scratch but usually end up caving in anyway and raking my nails over the bites.

I think they're spiders not mosquitos, but same difference. Benadryl helped the itching when I was a kid. As an adult I scratch them open in my sleep and I don't know if I want to put benadryl on open sores.

Guest Poker-Butt

Q

i use this too ...the powder one just on active pimples and brings em down and dries em up by the time i wash my makeup off ...but i slightly dot it on after my whole make-up is applied and then dot a lil more blush and im good to go...its a good product to spot use that is

I think they're spiders not mosquitos, but same difference. Benadryl helped the itching when I was a kid. As an adult I scratch them open in my sleep and I don't know if I want to put benadryl on open sores.

Maybe taking the pill form would help?

I thought that was more for rashes than bug bites?

*shrug* I use it for bites and if I use enough willpower to keep from scratching it works. A lot of people use Aveeno hydrocortisone cream to knock out the itching and swelling.

Still no active acne. All I'm left with is a couple of red marks from spots I either picked before at or were really persistent. The cyst has almost completely flattened out and isn't painful at all. Words from a derm I saw once keep playing in my mind (about the red marks), when I asked him how long they would take to heal he said, "A very long time. Up to a year maybe." So instead of being frustrated that they're not vanishing I'm just going to be patient and wait. I'm so happy not to wake up to new pimples it's easy to keep a positive attitude.

thanks for the post. it's eye opening and i'm starting to really consider the exfoliating alternative. it simply can't be good to be putting on all this BP every day and the way it looks, you have to put it on for life.

Please update on how that works out for you. Also in Jessica's thread she mentioned she only exfoliates at night times. Have you looked into doing that too?

thanks for the post. it's eye opening and i'm starting to really consider the exfoliating alternative. it simply can't be good to be putting on all this BP every day and the way it looks, you have to put it on for life.

Please update on how that works out for you. Also in Jessica's thread she mentioned she only exfoliates at night times. Have you looked into doing that too?

You're welcome :) When I start school next week my updates will become a little less frequent but I'll keep posting.

Actually I'm just exfoliating in the morning now and it's working out pretty good...I'm keeping any dry skin flakes off and my skin has never become irritated from it. Yes I'd recommend Jess' regimen! I've tried BP and it's only made my skin worse. When I had a couple of pimples on my back, after putting on BP I noticed the bumps became more painful and obvious...but when I just left them alone and dabbed a bit of the neosporin cream on them they healed quickly.

Good luck to you!!

I went out and bought Bare Minerals foundation last night and while it was a bit pricier than the makeup I usually buy it was worth every penny. When I saw the ads I'd always think, "Yeah these people are paid to sing its praises, with every bit of enthusiasm as the ones who swear by Proactiv" but it really is the best makeup. Even with liquid foundation that didn't break me out I felt like I was wearing a mask. With this, it feels like nothing's on my face..and this is the only foundation that makes my skin look completely flawless with minimal effort. I'd have to painstakingly dab my old foundation on spots/red marks and even then they weren't completely covered.

I woke up with a small bump on my chin. I always get a new zit or two when I wake up at my friend's house and I suspect it's because their house isn't very well ventilated. Every single person in their house smokes and I always feel cruddy waking up there...my skin looks dull, my sinuses hurt, and I just feel like crap. At my house I'm totally fine so there has to be something there that's aggravating my skin. Otherwise, my skin's still doing very well...aside from the pimple on my chin there I haven't experienced any breakouts. It's a vast improvement from before where I'd have pimples all over.

Oh I edited the subject line because it wouldn't be truthful, heh. Not to say I'm disheartened by the two (!) small pimples I've had since starting the regimen. I'm aiming for zero, but I'm pretty happy right now.

I haven't been visiting the board as often because my skin hasn't really been on my mind (which is good!)

Nothing too new to report, my "time of the month" pimple has pretty much dried up and there's still no active acne. The cyst is almost completely flattened and is healing well. No body acne at all.

Things are still looking up ;)

that's marvelous to hear :dance::clap:

thanx for the great regimen log and keeping us informed of your progress. It sounds like you're treating your skin gently but still getting the benefits of exfoliation. many people said that their 'time of the month' breakouts began slowing in severity and frequency and that they went away quickly too.

I totally feel ya on throwing away all the oral antibiotics and topical meds, I hated em too. g'luck and I'll be :pray: ing for ya :D

Thank you Jess! You've done an incredibly kind hearted and generous thing by posting your regimen and responding to everyone's questions. If it weren't for your advice I'd be going through the same cycle of using unneeded acne medications.