Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mike_R

People lay off the acne creams

People...you should know by now that no cream is going to "fix" acne forever...just like our bodies we eventually become immune...proactive does not work...if it does its a temporary fix...i used it worked for a while than it came back....went off it for a while and then ordered it again and it worked then it came back again..yey..:S....i wish companies would stop comim up with this acne crap...its the same for everything in life......we are suckers...and they know this. Anyways thats how i feel about.....iv stoped using "acne creams" because i find it doesent help....i wash my face and use a moisturizer and i still get some pimples but not soo bad..when you think about it those acne creams are drying out your skin making you shed skin cells even more dont you think that thats a perfect invironment for clogged pores?...say yes.. its true...some of you should just lay off the acne creams and see what happens....becides putting harsh chemicals on your face...does that sound helpful?...haah i could go on for days..

I agree, I've really simplified my regime and I'm slowly getting better. Now I use a gentle (herb and vitamin) cleanser, moisturize, spot treat with oregano/tea tree oil or neosporin and jessfoliate. My skin is doing better then when I was using prescriptions and not improving.

easy for you to say! I don't use anything on the top part of my face, just exfoliate and let it alone, but when my neck breaks out, I freak out!!!!!!! I want those things gone soooooooooooooooooooooooon!!!!! they are embarassing for me and a little bp and then milk of magnesia at night brings them down and its gone in half the time. don't think I can just "ignore" or lay off the bp on that stuff!

(directed at the original poster) uhh no offense but don't you feel a little pretentious speaking for everyone?? it may work for you but not for everyone. i've reduced the acne creams i use to occasionally but i wouldn't stop entirely as it helps to clean my pores etc. i am also virutally clear. However for someone with active acne trying to get rid of it creams may be a good way to treat it. The goal of medications is that they aren't long term. When i was in high school i started using a cream and it made oodles of difference in my skin.....so what works for some doesn't work for others. Don't be so hard on people for things that may work great for them even if it didn't work so well for you.

Dident mean to speak for everyone...it was just a suggestion....cuz it works for me somewhat im just saying that using these creams day in doesent seem good for the face and it might make out skin become dependent on it and then your stuck with it....just trying to help...i know i wouldent want to depend on a cream for the rest of my life..and the medications thing is long term..aka Accutane and such require you to take oodles so your body is overloaded with it and yes it does last for a while but acne does come back...and what about our grandparents....lol....they seem to be poppin pills all day....

easy for you to say! I don't use anything on the top part of my face, just exfoliate and let it alone, but when my neck breaks out, I freak out!!!!!!! I want those things gone soooooooooooooooooooooooon!!!!! they are embarassing for me and a little bp and then milk of magnesia at night brings them down and its gone in half the time. don't think I can just "ignore" or lay off the bp on that stuff!

hmm...as far as I know all body acne is just clogged pores. They literally should only last 3-4 days at the most, and with healthy non-irritated skin they are gone in 1-2 days. they are not inflammed acne, but if you overtreat them (with bp, milk of magnesia -something I ued to use as an oily skin mask) and other stuff used to treat facial acne, you will actually end up with an inflammed lesion but only because the skin is irritated. thats generally not really acne like when you get a cyst or pustule on your face. this happens all the time, most people don't ralize that this type of acne is quite fundamentally different than acne on the face, which can be inflammatory or not all on its own. when body acne is inflammed it's because we have been overtreating our skin and it's breaking out. body acne is very very simple to treat, but if you use acne products then it will literally keep you from getting cured. It's bizarre bc I am 25 and I remember reading in teen mags all my life, that you should use sa washes and bp creams and pimple creams on your body acne. that is a crock of bunk if you ask me, it directly contridacts scientific evidence, prolongs the infection, increases the inflammation and irritation, and also puts you in a nonstop cycle of treat, irritate, break out, treat, irritate, break out...

now if you want to cure all body acne it's so easy and here's all you need. get a body scrub brush like this one or this one:

IPB Image

and this type will also suffice

IPB Image

(sorry about the stupid drawing)

those brushes are both found in the Walmart bath/body section next to the bath oils and things like that. they range in price from 2-3 $. If you're looking for something for the face, go for the smaller one, or if your skin is just super sensitive on the body then go with the smaller brush. however, the bigger one is the best for body exfoliation, and you'll find if you exfoliate your entire body then your skin will start to glow and look even toned and very healthy & attractive. You just should use something like Cetaphil gentle cleansing bar. I can't say enough good things about that bar. if you exfoliate with the brush and bar once per day, then your body acne should be totally clear in less than a week, a slight possibility that it could take 2 weeks depending on how bad the product irritation is.

something that will greatly speed the healing time of irritation is a liberal application of 1% hydrocortizone cream. you can get the + aloe version or whatever. this stuff works instantly :)

1% hydrocortisone cream sounds pretty harsh, i know you can only get 0.5% from the first aid counter of the pharmacy. I have a 0.1% hydrocortisone cream for mild little spots of eczema on my neck and arms but supposedly its stronger than the 0.5% stuff as its perscription. I use it sometimes on the sides of my nose because they get uber dry in winter but i heard you weren't supposed to use it on your face normally because it thins the skin....i like the idea of using the cortisone on a pimple to bring down irritation (i woke up with one on my cheek, its not a cyst but its annoying) i'm a little worried using it tho...Jess what do you use for a spot treatment? just the hydrocortisone?

I gave up on all acne creams. I use Neosporin for huge zits that want to grow, and I use Glycolic Acid to repair that damage skin. No more acne products or ance ingredients for me.

For 2006 I am going fresh. :dance:

Though I dont think theres one answer for everyone,like others have said,I do agree that many of us need to just stop messing with our skin so much.For the past month I have been using nothing but an aloe vera cleanser and a blend of essential oils on my face and though Im not clear my skin is no worse than it was before.If I had to rate how much better my skin has been since I stopped using all the different products Id say its about 10% better as a whole,not just in reduction of acne.

I have to say that I am thinking of trying the whole Jessfoliation thing,if thats even what its called.But at least its not another product. :D

sorry Jess, but I don't agree that it is just clogged pores on my neck, I get this if there is a food ingredient such as nuts or pork in it that I don't know about. Its the only place that I break out on when I accidentlly eat that stuff, and by the way, I really like the new way to use the facial brush on my face and have cleared up even better with it and the skin is much smoother and feels better. thanks for all the info.

I agree with original poster, even naturals like tea tree oil are crap. BP is the worst offender in my opinon as it screws up healing big time. Through all of the crap I've tried, I have to say salicylic acid, topical aspirin and glycolic acid weren't bad, but even these ultimately are crap becos of the other inactive ingredients that come with them, which clog pores and irritate. I read a study where doing nothing was ranked as being quite effective compared to other treatments. In a study of 2 groups, one with acne the other without acne, ait was found the main difference between the two groups when taking into account everything was that the non-acne group only washed once a day whilst the acne group washed at least twice. It was conjectured by that study that acne sufferers perpetuate the problem by destroying the skins protective barrier which leads to staphylococcus aureus infections. Another study where acne sufferers were hypnotised to only wash theirs face once a day, and never tend their acne actually showed a significant improvement. Constantly having a go at the face with creams, lotions, squeezing and picking is the biggest problem. I'd say to original poster try ditching the moisturizer as thats irritating, non-acne sufferers do not use them! My skin is dry and sometimes flaky after washing but after an hour its gone. If your skin is constantly overly dry use jojoba oil or sunflower oil but dont use it unless you really have to.

Hey Daz! thanks...lol..had to switch my name wouldent let me log on...so yeah ill "try" to ditch the moisturizer and keep the washes to once a day..but can u do that with having oily skin...cuz it does get a tad annoying...lol...and i like the clean feeling of washing my face....dang...thanks.

ahh..so keep it plain and simple? im going to try that

It works. I don't use any fancy cleansers, and try to limit myself to ONE topical...plus some pills if your doc/derm sees fit.

Don't overwash, don't pick...don't obsess.

Keep your money in the bank, and if it gets real bad, get accutane.

mmhhh....when do u suggest washing your face morning or night?...im thinking night cuz gets all the dirt and oil from the day.....less dirt when your sleeping right?...but i also take showers in the morning does water splashing against your face count as a cleansing?

Sorry, I disagree strongly. If I so much as go 2 days without using a 10% benzoyl peroxide gel before bed, my skin is a mess. And that's on top of using a b.p. wash 3-4 times/day and being on the Pill. My face is super oily. I need a harsh cream to dry it up.

>>>mmhhh....when do u suggest washing your face morning or night?...im thinking night cuz gets all the dirt and oil from the day.....less dirt when your sleeping right?...but i also take showers in the morning does water splashing against your face count as a cleansing?

Once a day is just not enough, and using only water in the morning doesn't count as a cleansing, in my opinion. I suggest a minimum of 3 times a day, and an extra wash after working out.

Reply to svetlana banana....3 times? isent that kinda harsh.. i was the one who posted the original messaege had to change my name cuz ot wouldnet work.....but when i say lay off the acne creams it seems to me that judging by the amout of bp your using seems kinda timely and is taking alot of your time up.....ever wonder why your skin is supr oily...im doin this to help you haah so dont get mad just some advise of a wanna be dermatologist haha..ne ways your using 10% bp which tends to be really drying on the skin not to mention your watchin your skin with a bp wash...worse enough 3 to 4 times a day!! that can be super drying to the skin which IS NOT WANT YOUR SKIN WANT THEREFORE IT BALANCES THE SKIN OUT BY REPLACING IT WITH EVEN MORE OILT TO MAKE UP FOR THE OIL YOU HAVE BEEN REMOVING...i know many ppl with oily skin...and you know what no acne what so ever...the reason being when you stop using bp like u said for 2 days of course your acne is goin to get worse your skin has grown to depend on that....it wants it bc you introduced bp to it over an extensive period of time....it has grown to depend on it....dry skin is not the answer to clear skin......that makes it worse....dry skin= clogged pores= acne= more.....id try to leave the acne creams alone for your own good....sure your acne will get worse cuz its not getting what it is use to....please try this....oily skin is in reality kinda a blessing....even italian women use olive oil on there skin to give it a glow.....less wrinkles..tans nicely...just give it a try!!

ohh haha me again....i tried washing my face 1 times a day at night and then took a shower in the morning just lettin the water run on my face no washing and u know what not as much oil as usuall.....give it a try!

Sorry, I disagree strongly. If I so much as go 2 days without using a 10% benzoyl peroxide gel before bed, my skin is a mess. And that's on top of using a b.p. wash 3-4 times/day and being on the Pill. My face is super oily. I need a harsh cream to dry it up.

>>>mmhhh....when do u suggest washing your face morning or night?...im thinking night cuz gets all the dirt and oil from the day.....less dirt when your sleeping right?...but i also take showers in the morning does water splashing against your face count as a cleansing?

Once a day is just not enough, and using only water in the morning doesn't count as a cleansing, in my opinion. I suggest a minimum of 3 times a day, and an extra wash after working out.

Yeah, it sounds like your skin has grown a dependency to BP.

People...you should know by now that no cream is going to "fix" acne forever...just like our bodies we eventually become immune...proactive does not work...if it does its a temporary fix...i used it worked for a while than it came back....went off it for a while and then ordered it again and it worked then it came back again..yey..:S....i wish companies would stop comim up with this acne crap...its the same for everything in life......we are suckers...and they know this. Anyways thats how i feel about.....iv stoped using "acne creams" because i find it doesent help....i wash my face and use a moisturizer and i still get some pimples but not soo bad..when you think about it those acne creams are drying out your skin making you shed skin cells even more dont you think that thats a perfect invironment for clogged pores?...say yes.. its true...some of you should just lay off the acne creams and see what happens....becides putting harsh chemicals on your face...does that sound helpful?...haah i could go on for days..

I think it depends on the person really... some people grow immune to BP, and others don't.

Hey Daz! thanks...lol..had to switch my name wouldent let me log on...so yeah ill "try" to ditch the moisturizer and keep the washes to once a day..but can u do that with having oily skin...cuz it does get a tad annoying...lol...and i like the clean feeling of washing my face....dang...thanks.

Jojoba is no oilier or greasy than a moisturiser, it doesnt cause breakouts like moisturisers do. But as I said you should only use it if really needed and just a drop or 2 is enough. As for washing once a day. Yeah skin gets oily at night but that doesnt automatically means it will cause breakouts. Dry skin cracks and cracks further with irritants. Those cracks lead to infections which makes the original mild acne worse.

Hey Im using castor oil on my face...only at night....suppose to keep your pores open...and first night using it the next day my pimples were smaller and no new one forming.....a lil messy tho may stain your pillow....but otherwise it works pretty good...also mousturizes well...seen a reduction in my laugh lines....hehe..

I've tried caster oil when I was on the 3 day apple diet. It didn't feel at all like it was opening my pores. But, I'll try it for a week sometime soon. Are you still have good results with the oil?

I somewhat agree that we should lay off the creams. But, theres no other way to get rid of acne. I use only proactives repairing lotion. Which works great in stopping acne. I rarely have a pimple. If I get off of it, I will have lot of pimples. Which will be nighmare. I'm looking for a natural way of curing acne that actually works. Until then, I will continue to use BP.

Hey philidias...im doing the 3 day apple diet right now......hense the castor oil but it does seem to be workin..first day and my pimples are almost gone.....did it work for u?

its a lilttle messy so dont use good pillowsheets..they might git the oil on them.....but yeah im quite amazed with it i wash my gace with cetaphil and then rum some on my face and in the morning its usually rubbed off into the pillow case but now new pimples are formed and the ones that are there are alot smaller and not as red...cool huh