Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Novalie

My derm appt is on Tuesday & I need to know something before I go...

Hi!

I have been visiting a derm every month for the past 3 months to get kenalog injections for some hypertrophic (raised) scars on my back/shoulders. Almost all of the scars are flat (although some are a bit indented now, and some are a little raised but not enough to get an injection), so I think my appt on Tuesday will be my last.

The problem is, even though my hypertrophic scars are now flat (for the most part), they are still very red. She said that the redness would go away as the scars decreased in size, but they are just as red as they were before I got the kenalog.

The thing is, I think that we all know more about scars then most of the dermatologists out there! So I need to know exactly what to ask for when I go in there, because if I ask for her opinion, she will suggest microdermabrasion or something (I've had microderm on these scars - it did nothing).

Is the redness caused by blood vessels/capallaries underneath the skin that can only be treated with lasers (and if so, are there any lasers out there that work?). Or is there a prescription cream/gel/topical that will help reduce the redness?

I am coming to you all here, because I believe you know so much about this stuff, and I want to go into my last derm appt armed with the knowledge of exactly what to ask for. Is there are certain prescription I should ask for? Or is there a certain laser(s) I should look into? Is there any peel that will help with this?

Thanks, guys! I respect your opinions and advice so much!! :wub:

UPDATE: I just had a test spot of V-Beam performed on my biggest scar. It is very red right now, as expected, but I'm hoping to see results.

Has anyone had any luck with V-Beam to get rid of redness, particularly the redness in a hypertrophic scar?

Guest pppapillon
UPDATE: I just had a test spot of V-Beam performed on my biggest scar. It is very red right now, as expected, but I'm hoping to see results.

Has anyone had any luck with V-Beam to get rid of redness, particularly the redness in a hypertrophic scar?

I've had many cortisone/kenalog injections on 3 hypertropic (Red-coloured) scars and a couple of zits and yes, the redness stayed even after the scars & zits have flattened. All the redness faded away by itself in about 6 months to a year. I use 8% glycolic acid and it helps with red marks. Indentations will fill in and flatten themselves in a couple of months.

I don't think you have to do anything costly (eg. microdermabrasion, etc.) to red marks.

i had vbeam on my face but last week when I went I asked about getting a keloid on my shoulder treated and they said they don't work on those type of scars and that I should go to a plastic surgeon. I was pretty dissapointed...I've been to a plastic surgeon and they basically said they can't do anything about it because if they cut it out, it will grow back and even bigger. I think the only way to make it less noticable is to get a tattoo over it. I told the plastic surgeon that I might do it and he said that will probably work...kinda weird advice, but I paid 80 bucks to see a plastic surgeon who said theres nothing in the world that can help it. Thanks A LOT!!!