Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
thehumanbehan

Roaccutane/Accuatane works

I'm a 26 year old male and I suffered with acne for around 10 long years. Like most people I tried all the over the counter and regular drugs that my GP could presribe for me until I was left dissilussioned and desperate as one by one they all failed to work for me. I read about Roaccutane, which is the British term for the drug, on the Internet and asked my GP to put me on it. He agreed as did the Dermatologist who I went to see and a fortnight after I discovered it, I was taking it. I realise how fortunate I was to live here in Britain where we have a national health service as there was no way I would have been able to pay for the course of treatment which I was told amounted to 500 Pounds a month which roughly translates into about 850 US Dollars.

This was truly the last roll of the dice for me as acne had completely ruled my life. I don't think 60 seconds in the last 10 years went by without me thinking about my spots or fretting about what other people saw when they spoke to me.

The drug worked slow, but work it did. There was just a vast improvement with my acne. Less spots would appear and those that did would dissapear much more quickly than before. I read about all the side effects that one was likely to suffer with but luckily for me apart from mild dry lips I didn't experience any of them. I was taking 80mgs a day and after 3 months I was totally clear. And I mean totally, 100 percent. Still am today in fact.

Looking back I don't know what I'm most annoyed about. Myself for letting acne rule my life for so long, or my GP for not giving me this drug 10 years ago. I truly believe that money talks and that if this drug was cheaper, a lot more acne sufferers would be placed on it by their GP's.

Anyway, I used to read and post on the boards whilst I was taking my course, and the courage and understanding that is shown here by people is truly amazing.

I want to let everyone know who's currently taking or about to start Roaccutane that it is worth it and that all the years of shyness, depression, and desperation can be kissed goodbye.

Good luck to all.

I'm a 26 year old male and I suffered with acne for around 10 long years. Like most people I tried all the over the counter and regular drugs that my GP could presribe for me until I was left dissilussioned and desperate as one by one they all failed to work for me. I read about Roaccutane, which is the British term for the drug, on the Internet and asked my GP to put me on it. He agreed as did the Dermatologist who I went to see and a fortnight after I discovered it, I was taking it. I realise how fortunate I was to live here in Britain where we have a national health service as there was no way I would have been able to pay for the course of treatment which I was told amounted to 500 Pounds a month which roughly translates into about 850 US Dollars.

This was truly the last roll of the dice for me as acne had completely ruled my life. I don't think 60 seconds in the last 10 years went by without me thinking about my spots or fretting about what other people saw when they spoke to me.

The drug worked slow, but work it did. There was just a vast improvement with my acne. Less spots would appear and those that did would dissapear much more quickly than before. I read about all the side effects that one was likely to suffer with but luckily for me apart from mild dry lips I didn't experience any of them. I was taking 80mgs a day and after 3 months I was totally clear. And I mean totally, 100 percent. Still am today in fact.

Looking back I don't know what I'm most annoyed about. Myself for letting acne rule my life for so long, or my GP for not giving me this drug 10 years ago. I truly believe that money talks and that if this drug was cheaper, a lot more acne sufferers would be placed on it by their GP's.

Anyway, I used to read and post on the boards whilst I was taking my course, and the courage and understanding that is shown here by people is truly amazing.

I want to let everyone know who's currently taking or about to start Roaccutane that it is worth it and that all the years of shyness, depression, and desperation can be kissed goodbye.

Good luck to all.

How long ago did you do your Accutane treatement?

Thanks

its very encouraging, im on month 2. What was ur dosage, and wat would u call ur acne before tane ??

its very encouraging, im on month 2. What was ur dosage, and wat would u call ur acne before tane ??

Hi, I was on 80mg a day. My acne was medium I guess but due to the fact that I'd had it for so long, I'd describe it as severe. Something else worth noting was that when I was coming to the end of my course instead of just taking 4 tabs a day until the end, I just took one a day when I was down to my last dozen or so. I figured it would be better for my body if I came off it slowly rather than all at once.

Happy new year! Am a fellow 26 yr old from the UK who is about to start

roaccutane. Your log was very encouraging....I totally agree about the

frustration of not being given it by a GP 10 years ago; there's a massive

misunderstanding about the psychological effects of acne - mild or severe,

and anything that makes you so depressed, introverted and house bound

should be treated with the most powerful thing possible - roaccutane.

Cheers mate, thanks again

Tom

Happy new year! Am a fellow 26 yr old from the UK who is about to start

roaccutane. Your log was very encouraging....I totally agree about the

frustration of not being given it by a GP 10 years ago; there's a massive

misunderstanding about the psychological effects of acne - mild or severe,

and anything that makes you so depressed, introverted and house bound

should be treated with the most powerful thing possible - roaccutane.

Cheers mate, thanks again

Tom

No problem. Good luck and get back to me if I can help you in anyway.