Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest frogprince

-DEAR ACNE-

Guest frogprince

Dear Acne,

Hey Acne! How are you? You entered my life in middle school, but your effect was far too mild for me too really care about. During my senior year in high school, you launched a full-scale invasion on me – my face entirely exploded with acne. My cheeks, chin, and particularly my jawline were completely full of pimples and those stubborn, “unpoppable� cysts and bumps. I had so much that it hurt badly when I slept with my cheeks against the pillow - I would wake up with my pillowcase full of white pus, blood, and scabs.

I tried my best to stop you. I visited several dermatologists and became nothing but a test dummy for their treatments. I tried several topical lotions and antibiotics weird names from Retin A to monocycline. I even tried the commercial giant Proactiv – nothing worked. You were just so friekin’ mysterious that whatever I threw at you did not work.

Soon, along with pimples, I had developed several blemishes and scars. You had completely destroyed my once even and smooth complexion. Just like that, you had robbed me of my teenage skin.

In school, I became subject to “god you look awful� stares from people as they made grotesque expressions on their faces when they saw me. While others subtle with their opinions, others more direct.

“Why’s there so much shit on your face?�

“See what happens when you don’t wash your face.�

“You should stop eating oily and greasy foods�

“You should exercise, it will help with your face.�

And perhaps the worst comment of all – STRESS.

STRESS. STRESS. STRESS. STRESS. BLAH BLAH BLAH.

STRESS- one of the most abused and misused words in the English Language. I heard the word “stress� said to me so much that I felt like smacking the next person who made a comment relevant to stress.

“Acne is caused by stress.�

“You worry to much and your face shows it�

“If you slept more, then maybe your acne wouldn’t be that bad�

People could not get the darn point into their ignorant thick heads is that a person can be exercising, cleansing the face properly, getting lots of sleep, eating a “healthy� diet, and trying not to be under “stress�, and doing all these things time… yet still BE GETTING LOTS AND LOTS OF ACNE.

I was angry at everything and everyone. I hated it every time somebody downplayed my problem – that it wasn’t that important just because it wasn’t life threatening. I hated it everytime somebody said that I’d eventually “grow out of it� when it obviously seemed that it was getting worst and worst. I hated it every time I was the one blamed for the problem. I hated the dermatologists for being incredibly stupid and ineffective. I hated the acne companies for all their empty promises. I hated God and cursed at Him for giving me this forsaken disease. And most of all, I hated you, Acne, for being the cause of all my problems. Why me? I asked myself.

Somebody then told me that I should ignore you and “Just be Yourself� Well “just be yourself� meant accepting your presence, pretending everything was ok, and ignoring that part of me that wanted more, that part of me that thought I deserved better, that part of me that would not settle for anything less, then I don’t know if accepting acne would let me be the “self� I wanted to be.

Finally, I officially declared complete war on you. I dived into research into libraries, bookstores, and the Internet. I visited sites such as healthboards.com, clearskin.net and other various message boards. I read publications, e-books, articles, and any material relevant to your disgusting existence, As my mind got consumed with complicated scientific jibberish, I actually got even more confused, with there being so many explanations, factors with at hand as well as a variety of choices for treatments. What I could actually APPLY to my life.

I got discouraged. I got angry. I even got more frustrated. I vented. I whined. Even my mother said “Why don’t you accept the fact you’re going to have acne for the rest of your life"

I took even more time to research. I persisted. I experimented. I analyzed. I researched. There were many times I just felt like throwing in the towel and giving up but I pressed on. I shut up and kept everything to myself. I told myself to stop complaining, stop whining, stop bitchin’, stop depending on others to solve my problems, stop cryin’, and. Only I can solve this problem. ONLY ME. I pressed on and pressed on.

After months and months of continuous research, experimentation, trial and error I was able to customize what I learned. I had discovered that it was foods that I had initially regarded as “healthy� that were triggering acne all the 5long. I broke out from eating carrots, corn, peas, and bananas, which were all abundant in my diet. Along with these foods, I was also able to point out that was vitamins b complex in my multivitamin that were also precipitators of acne.

It was the Centrum that I had been taking that had destroyed my place. After a while, my severe acne gradually subsided and my face improved.

I’m not clear yet. I have not beaten you, but merely control you. The war continues on. Along with frequent breakouts, my face is completely battered and bruised with hideous hypertropic scars, hyperpigmentation, blemishes, and dreadfully uneven skin tone from my battles with you. You are inside me, ready to ruin in my skin at any moment I let my guard down. However, I am prepared, oh am I prepared, but with more than knowledge of topical, oral regimes. You are one of my greatest enemy yet I learned so much from fighting you. I have gained much more than just clearer skin.

You challenged me. You were such a difficult foe to beat that you made me strive and work harder. I became more hardworking and have gained more productive habits. Your mysteriousness required persistence and patience. Before you came to my life, I never had a passion, nor did I have such an intense desire to succeed.

You are such a difficult foe that nobody, not even those jackass dermatologists, could do much. With nobody bothering to kill you but me, I have gained independence. I stop relying on others to solve my problems and this has made me stronger. Only I can solve this. Only I.

You made me realize how it felt like to be in that “ugly� situation. I’ll admit it, I was a very superficial person in the past and I used to think disgustingly of those people with pimples, now I know how it feels to be in that situation.

In relevance, because of you I was able to meet and learn from so many wonderful people. Anonymous people from all across the globe who cared and helped me more than any dermatologist or “expert did.� Random people who took time research, analyze, diagnosis to find concrete explanations to actually solve the problems. The random people who offered emotional support, who were there when I felt down and honestly sincerely meant it when they said, “I know how you feel.�

You drew the line between sincerity and superficiality. You acted as personality “xray� goggles. You made me realize that some people…. some people I once considered “buddies�, some hot girls I were dating who I thought were amazing… weren’t really…well… what I thought they were. It’s amazing how you can notice how people treat you “differently� just with the way you look. However, you also really made me see who really cared and was there for me, and am so thankful for them being my life.

Most importantly, you made me realize that my greatest obstacle was not you, nor was it the environment. My greatest resistance was my mind – full of doubts, fears and anger. My greatest enemy was myself and the person I had to convince that was not anybody but myself. I look back at one of my first few posts on another forum cursing God and I’m matured a lot since then. I used to be a whiner and complainer, thinking all this “It’s inside you that counts� people used to mutter was utter bullshit. When I thought about it REALLY HARD, it does matter. It really does. You finally awoke THE F*CKIN’ MAN that had been inside of me! I AM A F*CKIN’ MAN!

As I said, you still linger inside of me, but I will continue pressing on indefatigably towards ultimate glory! Your end is inevitable, and the when that day morning comes when I wake up with a clear skin, your defeat will be an achievement I can be so proud of.

Sometimes, tragedy does more than “making a person stronger.� Tragedy can completely transform you. In short, honestly, Acne, despite my intense hatred for you, I sometimes hesitate to say this… but… you were probably one of the best things have ever happened to me.

So for all the wasted money on medications, the completely utter stupidity of dermatologists, the terrible misconceptions, verbal abuse, and the lack of support. For all the times I was ripped off, ignored, made fun of, neglected, misjudged, misinterpreted, underestimated, and unjustly accused

For all the feelings of ugliness, embarrassment, hopelessness, fear, anger, and frustration.And most of all, for all the pimples, the whiteheads, the blackheads, the redness, the oiliness, the dryness, the cysts, the scabs, the blood, and …the tears…

I have two words to say…. THANK YOU.

-Frogprince

Guest tenshigirl25

:clap:

ok so did u try accutane? why do u think peas and corn broke u out? i can understand the multi but veges seem pretty safe overall. for me, diet is just a small part..but things like milk, cheese, spicy food and chocolate didnt help matters. Sorry u had to go thru hell and back but things are getting better now right? maybe research accutane and how gentle u are with your face? it has cleared mine a lot and im so thankful for it. but good work..

Guest frogprince

:clap:

ok so did u try accutane? why do u think peas and corn broke u out? i can understand the multi but veges seem pretty safe overall. for me, diet is just a small part..but things like milk, cheese, spicy food and chocolate didnt help matters. Sorry u had to go thru hell and back but things are getting better now right? maybe research accutane and how gentle u are with your face? it has cleared mine a lot and im so thankful for it. but good work..

i tried accutane and it worked temporarily. My acne came back... worst.. later.

wow......

that, in a way. was rather inspiring.

Well done on the writing, i thought it was rather well written

Congats on everything, but now that u've gotton everything 'good' from acne, its time for it to DIE. forever.

Guest tenshigirl25

yeah acne will often come back..some ppl take up to 4 courses.

Just go on low dose Accutane.

I take 40 mg every other week and have perfect skin: even tone, no oil/acne. Not one pimple.

And no side effects.

Guest frogprince

YOU GUYS CAN DO IT!

2006 WILL BE OUR YEARS. NOT ACNE's.

WE CAN DO IT!!!

AAAAAHHHH

Guest frogprince
I AM A F*CKIN' CHAMPION!!! YOU CAN'T BRING ME DOWN ACNE!!!!