Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
zxc

Something that is proven to work.

Since it's proven to work, why don't we use Tretinoin-iontophoresis to treat our scars? Do any of you use it? If so, how do you do? I saw it has been mentioned before, but noone reports results from using it, so it seems like noone uses it.

Notice: Tretinoin-iontophoresis is an effective, noninvasive treatment of atrophic acne scars without causing disturbing side-effects.

Tretinoin-iontophoresis in atrophic acne scars.

Schmidt JB, Donath P, Hannes J, Perl S, Neumayer R, Reiner A.

Department of Dermatology, Institute of Clinical Pathology, University of Vienna Medical School, Austria.

BACKGROUND: Atrophic acne scars are a frequent problem after acne. Hitherto, mainly invasive treatment measures were possible. In a recent paper, we demonstrated the positive effects of iontophoresis with 0.025% tretinoin gel vs. estriol 0.03%. OBJECTIVE: In this further study, the recording of the clinical effects of iontophoresis with 0.025% tretinoin gel in atrophic acne scars was supplemented by immunohistochemistry investigations of collagen I and III, proliferation markers, and the estimation of epidermal thickness. METHODS: The treatment was performed twice weekly in 32 volunteer patients for a period of 3 months by application of the substance under a constant direct current of 3 mA for 20 min. Skin biopsies prior to and at the end of treatment were performed in 32 voluntary patients in order to investigate collagen I/III and proliferation markers by immunohistochemistry methods. RESULTS: Clinically, at the end of treatment, in 94% of patients a significant decrease in the scar depth was observed. Neither epidermal thickness nor proliferation markers revealed a significant increase at the end of treatment. Furthermore, collagen I and collagen III showed no common trend, as expressed statistically by a lack of significance. In some cases, increases in collagen III became evident at the end of treatment. CONCLUSIONS: Tretinoin-iontophoresis is an effective, noninvasive treatment of atrophic acne scars without causing disturbing side-effects.

Retin A will not diminish the appearnace of scarring. At least not in my case. I used it for years to halt acne. But it had zero effect on any of my scarring, which is minimal, and saucer shaped on my cheek.

Retin A can break out the skin, and cause it to thin. Which is not good.

I would avoid all acids, TCA, etc. If you are not battling active acne I would use an avacado based mild skin treatment for overall skin health. And perhaps a filler like restylane for the scarring.

I don't beleive their is a topical treatment that is available that will help acne scarring.

James.

This is topical treatment with a bang They add electric current to boost it. It is different than just regular retin-a, so it might be worth a shot.

Exactly. And opposing to all the other methods this method has been PROVEN to work. It's not just something that you try...you're most likely to see results if you do as they did in the experiment.

But here is my question:

If I want to do this I need 2 things:

1. Retin-a. Easy to get.

2. Something that induces an electric current. NOT easy to get. What should I use? Is it only possible to do this if you have a machine similar to this?:

IPB Image

BY THE WAY: I have intended to try this method when I get my "Bodi Tek Blemish System", which induces an elctric galvanic current. I REALLY HOPE IT WORKS!