Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xxdancexx

Tetracycline and Retin A .1

Well I'm 20 years old and I've never had acne until 4 months ago. Here's the scoop. I used to bodybuild. I also have powerlifting records. My body was my life although I didn't have many friends(almost none) I'd work out twice a day and eat nothing but health foods. But lots of them. Well I had beautiful skin. Beautiful body. I was a pretty good looking guy. Got lots of girls, but I've always been more concerned about being a good person. Well anyways I finally made friends. And with those friends I was introduced to many drugs. I turned very different. I lost 20-30 pounds and my face started looking horrible. Worse everyday. Maybe it was the ciggs maybe other things who knows. But I'm also wondering..I have very overprocessed hair...and its long I wonder if that could be it also. But anyways I've stopped with the drugs and dropped the friends. 2 weeks ago I went to the doctor and got perscribed 500 mg of tetracycline twice a day and retina .1 everynight. I have moderate to severe acne. On monday I start dieting and bodybuilding again. Hopefully this will help. The doctor said in 6 weeks i have to come see him again and he may have to send me to the derma to get a perscription of accutane..his exact words. I have 4 weeks to see him..I really don't know if I want accutane But I do know that I want clear skin. I'll do anything to get it. But I really just want the old me back. I'm a very determined person. I will be a pro bodybuilder one day! I will never ever ever touch a drug as long as I live, I can't even stand the smell of a ciggarette now, it makes me gag.

Day 14

Well ok so on we go. Today is day 14 on tetracycline/retina.1 regime. So far I've seen okay results. At first my skin was hurting so bad, even though I was using cetaphil cleanser. Now I'm finally adjusting. It doesn't hurt anymore. I have cystic acne and thats it. Thats what I've had, no whiteheads really or anything like that only cysts. Well those are going away kind of. And ever since the dryness stopped hurting I've been breaking out a little bit. But they aren't cysts. Good sign I guess. I think this is that initial outbreak I've read so much about. I hope so because I want to get it over with.

well I'm starting my bodybuilding again on monday. I'll be very very healthy on the inside. More than enough of lots of vitamins. Especially c and e. I'll be taking lots of antioxidants. Well balanced diet. Supplements. Plenty of water. At least one gram of protein per pound of bodyweight. Hopefully this helps. I have 4 weeks. I hope that this works.

Also I was thinking of getting my lip pierced...should I wait for my acne to clear. Because If tetracycline is an antibiotic then wouldnt it like work more on my lip than my face? Stupid question I guess but I wanna be safe!

D.A.R.E to be drug free...hahahah...but no seriously...dont do em

Day 18

Okay so yeah. I'm really excited now. I've been supplementing with antioxidants and whatnot making sure my body has all the vitamins it needs, and helping to get rid of all the waste toxins still in my body. Start working out tomorrow. My gym is closed till tomorrow due to the holidays. Tetracycline and retina stacked with all ur vitamins/minerals and antioxidants is just what my skin needed. I think I just got over the initial breakout. I didnt get 1 pimple since I started the tetra and retina, but then last week i began to breakout. Then the day before yesterday I woke up and saw that my skin looked healthier. Yesterday I woke up and all my acne didn't look so big and irritated, a few zits even disappeared. Today I woke up and when I washed my face 4 whiteheads just pretty much oozed out(gross I know). It's amazing how fast your skin starts to clear after the initial breakout from retina. I'm excited to wake up every morning to see my skin improving. I think my skin will be clear by the time I have to go back to the doctors and see if I need accutane. I honestly do. I'm beginning to think it will be clear within 1-2 more weeks! It's clearing so fast..it's amazing. I think one of my main problems was over washing. i had this stuff called acne free(supposed to be better than proactive) I would use it like 4 times a day! I would scrub my face with a wash cloth and it would like rip all my dry skin off. On top of that my hair was a disaster, and was always in my face...whereever my hair touched there would be a big cluster of cysts. I was also smokin and always picking at my face. My cysts would bump into each other and make supercysts. But now...everything is just going away. I only wash my face in the morning and at night with cetaphil gentle cleanser. And at night apply retina. Wow I know I'm rambling on, but I'm just so excited. My self esteem is still very low. I hope my scars go away. It's weird..all I had were cysts, and I would pop them, but the only scarring I have really is discoloration. Well I'm so glad my skin is clearing. I'm really glad. I believe everything happens for a reason and God puts obstacles before you so you can overcome them and become a stronger better person. I actually thank God I have acne. And I don't regret that I got in with the wrong crowd. Now I have experiences and know what not to do. I just want to be the best person I can possibly be now! Just like before...wow.

Day 27

Okay it's been awhile since my last post. I believe during my last post I was not experiencing the initial outbreak, I am however experiencing an outbreak now. They are small pimples but still noticable. My skin is very discolored. Red marks, a little bit of brown marks, but no deep deep scarring. I'm worried that my skin will never get better. But I will push on. It's only day 27 and I have seen huge improvement. I just really want my skin to get better, but right now I feel like it's a battle I just cannot win. I think that the worst is still to come. Tomorrow will be exactly 4 weeks that I've been on Retin-A tetra combo and I'm so sad I'm not where I thought I'd be. I mean I know I've improved alot it's just...idk. I feel so emotionally exhausted. This is worse than heartbreak. It feels like my skin is getting better and worse at the same time.

Hang in there ... sounds like you've made great progress just with retin A and tetra ... and if that doesn't work out, your derm is going to give you Accutane, right? So you'll beat this acne thing one way or another.

More important, you've taken control of your life. Major congrats on that.

Q

Day 39

Yeah lol I'm thinking of competing in bodybuilding actually now. I have the knowledge and a good powerlifting background. I've decided I'm going to be a nutritionist. lol. If I can get back into school. My grades were bad last sememster due to the bad decisions I was making.

Well it's day 39 and my face seems to be improving. I think I'm done with the initial breakout, not sure. I only have a couple zits left. The right side of my face is almost clear! There is like one pimple and just a little bit of dry skin where pimples were last week. So I'm predicting that in the next week or two the right side of my face will be all better. That's half the battle. lol. The other half is on my left side. I have one zit that's come to a head. But the scarring is very bad. I don't know how much the Retin-A is going to help with those scars. No pock marks or ne thing like that really. Just discoloration, but it looks horrible. I have a doctor's appointment this week with the guy who put me on my meds, depending on what he thinks I may have to go to the dermatologist for accutane. I'm nervous. I want my skin to be better really bad.

Day 40

Well I have 4 active pimples. Well theyre all died down alot though and within the next couple days should be gone. Flaky skin over the spots where i had pimples last week. I haven't gotten any new pimples this week. I'm so happy. The right side of my face looks the best it's looked since ... August, even though I have three active pimples on that side. The left side of my face has 1 active pimple but looks worse because there is scarring on that side. The 1 pimple is dried up and about to come off...or wutever. On retin-a and tetra it's like...for me at least...the pimple starts off really small..gets big...comes to a head..the skin dries up on it and it gradually shrinks for like a week...then the skin comes off with the dried up zit...the skin takes like another week to heal and there's a tiny mark left. lol...it's weird...but I haven't gotten any pimples since the ones on my face right now...like last week. And it doesn't look like any more are coming up...If I put a tiny bit of makeup on...just a little ... u can't even tell there is really anything wrong with the right side. The left side though just needs some serious help.

QUESTION: hmm would it be okay to use hydroquinone scar repair lotion in the morning since I use Retin-A at night? I'm going out of town for a little bit tomorrow night and was thinking of trying it.

Ive been on tetra with diff and bp for about 5 weeks now...My breakout was in the 3-4 week....it was horrible...now in my 5th weeks close to 6th..I have no pimples just redness...my face is dry due to the bp and oily due to the diff...I just hope this redness goes away....I know what u mean ...I train too and with my face liek this I feel so bad that I lose weight

Day 40

Well I have 4 active pimples. Well theyre all died down alot though and within the next couple days should be gone. Flaky skin over the spots where i had pimples last week. I haven't gotten any new pimples this week. I'm so happy. The right side of my face looks the best it's looked since ... August, even though I have three active pimples on that side. The left side of my face has 1 active pimple but looks worse because there is scarring on that side. The 1 pimple is dried up and about to come off...or wutever. On retin-a and tetra it's like...for me at least...the pimple starts off really small..gets big...comes to a head..the skin dries up on it and it gradually shrinks for like a week...then the skin comes off with the dried up zit...the skin takes like another week to heal and there's a tiny mark left. lol...it's weird...but I haven't gotten any pimples since the ones on my face right now...like last week. And it doesn't look like any more are coming up...If I put a tiny bit of makeup on...just a little ... u can't even tell there is really anything wrong with the right side. The left side though just needs some serious help.

QUESTION: hmm would it be okay to use hydroquinone scar repair lotion in the morning since I use Retin-A at night? I'm going out of town for a little bit tomorrow night and was thinking of trying it.

Nah sorry I don't have any pics. But I've been noticing the more I get back into lifting the more my acne clears. I'm 20 btw and I stopped lifting and a week later I broke out for the first time in my life. I should've realized the connection but I didn't. My scars aren't really red they're like brown dots with red around them. It's frustrating. But I can deal I suppose.

Day 41

Okay well I just got home from the gym. Had a GREAT workout by the way. I'm definitley going to be competing soon and enter my first bodybuilding competition.. But that means I have to tan soon. But let's talk about my face...

Well the zit I had on my left cheek popped on it's own last night and so did one on my right cheek. It happened like after I washed my face..it was kinda dry and when my face stretched they just kinda..popped. lol. Well I got 1 new pimple on the left side of my face close to my chin...and I still have two on the right side of my face that will be done with any day soon. I kinda like the scars on the right side of my face. lol..they look good on me. The scars on the left I could do without.

Um...does anybody know if it's okay for me to use the hydroquinone in the morning?

Here's my regime btw.

Morning rinse off face with a couple splashes of warm water then workout

Before I workout I take my preworkout supplements (Shock therapy which is an no2 creatine energy

booster with plenty of antioxidants in it also)

I get home take my post workout supplements (creatine ethyl ester, whey protein, 2.5 grams of vitamin c to kill free radicals in my body, and a GOOD multivitamin..not one from ur supermarket..those are horrible for you...gnc megamens is a great multivitamin to replenish vitamins and minerals lost during your workout), then I take a shower and only wash my face with the water in the shower.

About 30 minutes later eat a healthy meal.

2 hrs later tetracycline

1 hr. later eat healthy meal to keep my metabolism running.

Okay later on in the day I take another multivitamin and continue to eat a healthy meal every three hours..not only does this keep your metabolism reving high, but it continually feeds your body the nutrients it needs to prevent deficiencies. I also take my other tetracycline pill

Okay I get home from work about 10 and immediatley take another hot shower. I wash my face with cetaphil gentle cleanser in the shower...wait about thirty minutes then apply retin-a.

Before I sleep I take a multivitamin and some biotin.

Tell me what yall think!

Okay so I was thinking. Without every vitamin and mineral present your body can't do the processes it needs to do to itself to the best of it's abilities. Actually if your body is deficient in ANYTHING it won't work the best it can. Without enough water, carbohydrates, protein, amino acids, vitamins, minerals, and sleep your body has cannot build muscle tissue as fast as it normally would. It needs a certain amount of every one of those things present in order to work the best it can. A deficiency in just one of those things can dramatically affect the outcome. So wouldn't the same be true for acne? Without a certain amount of many things present wouldn't it cause reactions? For example open wounds cannot heal without enough zinc. So zinc works for many people with acne...but it doesn't for many others. Well there are certain vitamins and minerals need to metabolize zinc! Maybe the people who it doesn't work for are also deficient in those. Maybe they're not deficient in zinc at all but rather they aren't getting enough protein in their diets? Maybe they are getting enough protein but not enough carbohydrates to metabolize that protein? Get the picture?

okay so it's obivious...you NEED EVERY vitamin and mineral in your body, you plenty of water, you need protein you need carbohydrates and you need sleep. You NEED to have a good diet that is constantly supplying your body with the nutrients it needs in order to work properly. Ever heard for every action there is an equal an opposite reaction? that's newton's third law. And I believe it would hold true for acne. Your body ALSO needs to sweat so it can get toxins flushed out of your body. You should never pee yellow, it means your deficient in something, if anything it needs to be more of a neon yellow after you take your vitamins and clear for the rest of the day. That means that your body ISN"T deficient. If you pee yellow after you take your vitamins and you pee clear the whole day from drinking plenty of water that means your not deficient and you WANT that to happen every day. Sleep is also another important factor. This is when your body gets it's rest and does most of its repairing. So why not try taking ANOTHER multivitamin before you sleep to make sure every vitamin and mineral is present. You have acne...add some biotin, add some vitamin c to get rid of toxins, and zinc to heal, drink a protein shake whatever...make sure that your body always has what it needs so it works the best it can. I think that this could really help. I never had acne my whole life...and I've always made sure I was eating right and everything and always working out...and I didn't stop doing all this until the end of july beginning of august...which is when I got my first real breakout. I started doing all this again last week and I barely get zits now. Maybe it's the meds...but maybe just maybe it's actually this. Maybe since my body has everything it needs...it can properly prevent and heal acne. Who know's maybe not..but it's definitly worth a shot right? What's the worst that can happen...feeling a little less sluggish...living a little bit longer and healthier... tell me what you guys think...I really want some feedback on this.

Nah sorry I don't have any pics. But I've been noticing the more I get back into lifting the more my acne clears. I'm 20 btw and I stopped lifting and a week later I broke out for the first time in my life. I should've realized the connection but I didn't. My scars aren't really red they're like brown dots with red around them. It's frustrating. But I can deal I suppose.

wow lifting is helping u..I hope it helps me..people say that lifting aggarvates the caen but I had acne bfore I stsrated lifting

So if retin-a works for red marks...about how long do u think it would take. I'm kinda thinking about just stopping using retin-a and tetra and try doin the natural thing. But how smart do you thnk that would be? I haven't used either since wednesday night. I just got home...but I had to go out of town and I just got home...I thought that everything was good to go...but I forgot the bag with my vitamins and everything..when I got to my grandmothers tho I just went ahead and bough some more vitamins and cetaphil. Thats all I've used and my face is extremely oily right now. I feel like I would be able to stop my meds now...but i don't know if I should, I mean if something bad happens I could always get right back on them right? Or should I just go ahead and start using them again tonight? HELP lol

So if retin-a works for red marks...about how long do u think it would take. I'm kinda thinking about just stopping using retin-a and tetra and try doin the natural thing. But how smart do you thnk that would be?

I think you should at least finish out your current prescriptions and then evaluate the situation. At that point, I would think you could be done with the tetracycline and just maintain your skin with the Retin A. I would advise doing that for awhile, because your acne could very easily come back, and the tetracycline might not be as effective a 2nd time around.

And please, for your own sake, try not to skip days with the tetracycline! You really, really shouldn't go on and off a course of antibiotics -- it enables the bacteria to build up resistance to them, which is NOT a good thing. That's why the derms want you to take your pills at the same time every day.

Q

I quit my regime. I'm not taking tetracylcine or Retin-A anymore. I just want to be normal. I want to be able to go out into the sun again. I want to be able to go surfing without my face freezing 100 times worse than it normally would. I quit. :(

Okay so I'm not using Retin-A or tetra anymore. But here is what I do. I wake up...wash my face of with a couple splashes of water. Go workout, go to the tannning bed, come home shower take supplements vitamins etc. Then later on at night when I get home from work I take another shower but use cetahpil gentle cleaser to wash my face, then I make the protein mask from Delna's routine which is the egg white with a couple drops of lemon. It's working very good. Not 1 pimple since I've gone off. I found that just letting my face go back to normal was probably all I really needed to do.

Well I just recently went back onto Retin-A. I'm staying away from antibiotics. I still am clear even if I don't wash my face or anything I don't break out. I'm just dealing with discolorations right now, which totally piss me off. They make my face look terrible. I think all I need is a summer. Just some sun and saltwater will get rid of these marks. But I've been applying Retin-A everynight for like the past week or two, with AHA souffle during the day. I'm adding hydroquinone into the routine also.