Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
a529612

Whiteheads: Should you squeeze them or not?

I got a bunch of whitehead clogged pores on my chin. Should I squeeze them out to unclog the pores or just leave them alone? Would BP take care of them eventually?

Whiteheads have always been my main skin problem. The only long-term treatment I've found effective is topical retinoids combined with gentle exfoliation.

Retin-A worked great for me, but I hated going back to the derm all the time. Right now I'm using an OTC product I just LOVE! My pores are so much clearer! You can check it out here:

www.greencream.com

Q

if the whitehead is enflamed, and red with a fresh top, and it feels like it will perfectly sqeeze out then go for it.

if the whitehead is enflamed, and red with a fresh top, and it feels like it will perfectly sqeeze out then go for it.

Well, technically that's not a whitehead. A whitehead is a closed, clogged pore. Looks like a whitish or flesh-colored bump. Not inflamed. And in order to squeeze out a whitehead you really have to invade your skin, because the pore is closed.

What you're talking about here is a pustule, and yeah, they can be squeezed .... not a big deal.

Whatever. My point is that squeezing zits of any kind is not a good long-term solution. You gotta go after the problem where it starts, and that is why the retinoids are so good for clogged pores; they prevent all of those skin cells you're shedding from clumping together and clogging up the pores. Also, I think that retinoids can shrink your sebaceous glands, although I am not absolutely certain about what goes on there.

Q

I squeeze mine even though I'm not supposed to. I do it right after a shower so the hot water has opened my pores a bit. Then I immediately follow with cleansing.

I usually get a breakout within the next 7 days in the area after I squeezed them even followed by BP. What am I doing wrong?

I usually get a breakout within the next 7 days in the area after I squeezed them even followed by BP. What am I doing wrong?

Yeah I have the same problem. When I squeeze one, a few days later, another one will pop up right next to it. I have a pretty anoyying whitehead right now and im so tempted to pop it. I have school on monday and I hope this goes down then but I duno what to do. I hate these big whitehead....its like something is alive on my face.

it pops up next to it because usually you can not extract all the suppurative fluid / pus out, so you are pushing part of it further under the skin and spreading the infection. Either way, whether you pop it or not, the whiteheads will still scar.

I got a bunch of whitehead clogged pores on my chin. Should I squeeze them out to unclog the pores or just leave them alone? Would BP take care of them eventually?

If I do I wait till towards the end of a nice hot shower, it brings all the pus to the top and they often seem larger then, or at least it seems like I can get more fluid out then normal. Also, it's easier to wash your face and make sure none of the fluid spreads to other parts of your face. I read that once they start bleeding or clear fluid comes out, to stop.

I wouldn't reccommend it b/c it can leave scars, but I do it b/c I'm pissed at my acne. :D Oh well..

i used to, but i usually try not to these days. i have one i popped over a month ago and theres still a big purple looking scar from it.