Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
someoneintheuk

supplement that truly clears skin!

Hi everyone I recently found a supplement that totally cleared my skin after years of searching and trying many supplements, drugs, remedies, diet regimes etc etc etc. All in all i must have tried about 100 different 'solutions' without any long lasting results. So here it is the supplement that has ended 6 years of misery and which i wish to share with you all here at this forum:

Zinc Citrate

Now before you click away i am fully aware that you may have tried zinc before without any results, but was it the citrate form? I have tried over 50 differrent supplements in recent years to cure acne and zinc citrate is the only one that fully cleared my skin, all the more impressive as i have been eating choclate and rubbish recently without the instant 'karma' of breakouts the same or next day!

Heres why I think it has been so effective. Firstly i had tried other zinc types over the years wihout success and had given up on it as a remedy. For example optizinc, zinc gluconate and amino acid zinc. Citrate is different as it is alkaline and means i can take lots of it without feeling sick. I take x8 zinc citrate tablets (at 17.1 mg of elemental zinc) every day in two spilt doses. The theory is that i have a malabsorption problem with zinc and need lots of it to counter it. Zinc citrate is the only type that i have been able to do that with as it is the only one where going well over the recommended daliy dose dosen't end up in nausea or other side effects. The body absorbs it well (as it is an alkaline and citrate supplement) and i have been taking it for a month and have been totally clear for 3 weeks. Results were emphatic after one day and the total clearing took a week and was just a matter of the many old spots fading, incredibly fast.

Here is my daily supplement regime:

x8 zinc citrate (17.1 mg elemental zinc) BioCare (a months supply works out at about £11, roughly $5/6.

4 taken after breakfast/ lunch and 4 after dinner. I must mention that small doses do not work as initally i had been taking zinc citate at x4 a day with only partial results and it was only after downing lots out of desperation that i discovered its effectiveness at higher doses.

x1 dry vitamin e (succinate) (400iu) Solgar- the only other remedy that has ever been effective as vitamin is absorbed by the body in its dry form, not its oil form. In fact taking x10 of these every day is an effective acne remedy, though not as good as zinc citrate and works out incredibly expensive. I still take one for general health and because i have some leftover from when it was my main supplement. taken after dinner

x1 timed release vitamin c with rose hips and bioflavoniods (1000mg) Holland & Barrett (Uk shop) The only other supplement that has a positive effect on my skin. i only take 1000mg a day as more causes overly regular bowel movements. taken after dinner

So there you go, malabsorption of zinc was the real problem and the answer was zinc citrate. I gave this information to my brother who is four years older than me at 25 and still suffered from moderate acne like me, and he got the same miraculous results. I suggest you give it a go. As a side note i also use a oil free moisturiser but have used this for ages and it is not a factor in acne, just moisturised skin that feels nice.

Let me know it how it goes by posting your results on this topic. Believe me you wont be disappointed and i hope it ends up as a worldwide cure. Please do not try to suppress this information and let people judge for themselves. I will top up this thread once a month so that new faces can see this information and to see the results from people who try it.

did the doc say u can take that much?

and can u take zinc or vit E with antibiotic pills(tetra)

i gave up on doctors a long time ago after all their treatments failed, and have not gotton permission from them to take a mineral supplement above the recommended dose. I haven't had any side effects, although i am considering taking a multimineral just to make sure i dont get any defiencies in other minerals in the long term. As for taking zinc or vitamin e with an antibiotic i wouldn't think their would be any problems, but maybe you should ask your doctor or research it somewhere.

Guest yahyah

so where did you buy the zinc citrate from??

How does the rest of your skin feel? Did you have large pores before? If so.. did they shrink? Is your skin overly dry or does it feel comfortable?

by the way thanks for sharing your find.

did the doc say u can take that much?

and can u take zinc or vit E with antibiotic pills(tetra)

I take a multivitamin once per day which has zinc in it. I also take Doxycycline which is a part of the tetracycline family. I asked my pharmacist if it would be o.k. for me to take the antibiotic and the vitamins together and he said yes.

However, when you take the zinc (or any vitamin or mineral) you need to wait at least 2 hours before you can take your tetracycline. This reason behind this is that the vitamins will make the antibiotic less effective because they will attach themselves to the antibiotic and you will pass them through your system before the tetracycline can reach you bloodstream.

Good luck to ya!

I got the zinc citrate from a uk website called vitaminuk.com.

My skin feels calm which i noticed the day after starting the high dose. I feel comfortable in my skin and hardly have much attention on it anymore. Its not dry as i use an oil free moisturiser called clarity ( from a shop called superdrug in the uk). My pores were fairly large in certain areas (nose, inner cheeks, centre forehead) but they are definitely smaller now. All in all my skin is looking healthy.

I too bought this but i could find one that is in high dosage and am not a person to take 8 of these daily. I got the Natural Factors Brand and it's 90 tablets of 50mg each one. So just 1-2 of these a day would be okay for me.

For me, the initial batch of zinc citrate said 50mg per tablet, but in brackets 17.1mg elemental zinc, which is the amount i go by. The next batch i got (from the same website and by the same company, Bio Care) said 17.1mg Zinc Citrate per tablet instead of 50mg which i assume is the same amount of elemental zinc as before as they have given the same results as the first. I hope this makes sense.

The point is the 50mg you are taking 1-2 a day of now may only have just under 40mg of elemental zinc which probably wont be enough, and thats assuming that you're brand has 17.1mg of elemental zinc. I would ask the company u bought it from how much exactly it has in it and go by that figure, getting over 100mg of elemental zinc from the zinc citrate a day. But hey, work you're way up to it if ur feeling conservative, my brother did the same. Taking 8 soft and small tablets a day really isn't too much to ask for clear skin, you can take 4 in one swallow very easily with the ones i bought.

Heres some more infofrmation for people trying out zinc citrate. It is much more effectively absorped when taken on an empty stomach. I take mine first and last thing with water. Having tea or coffee within an hour of taking zinc citrate seriously inhibits absorption, whilst some foods can do also, so its best to take on its own. This includes not taking with other minerals as they inhibit absorption also!

ok, you piqued my interest and I have a question, what is the difference or did you say between zinc gluconate and citrate? I take 100 mgs of the gluconate but I still suffer with acne on my neck if I eat pork products, nuts and nut products and just recently realized that coconut oil is a big no no also. I am 95 to 99% clear and its just this on my neck that pops up. Could you tell me? thanks

Zinc is a trace mineral that is found in virtually every cell of the body and is a component in over 200 enzymes. Zinc is especially important in proper immune function, wound healing, sensory functions, sexual function and skin health. It is also required for proper action of many body hormones, including insulin, growth hormone and sex hormones. Zinc Citrate is an excellent form of zinc as citrates are extremely well-absorbed and well-tolerated by the body.

sounds promising... info came from http://www.iherb.com/zinc15.html

EDIT: Found this on another website...

Zinc

The second most abundant trace mineral in the human body, zinc is crucial to immune health, skin health, and male reproductive health, among other things. Of most interest to teenagers, several double-blind studies have shown zinc to be as effective as tetracycline in treating acne. Zinc levels are often low in adolescent boys, so it is probably no coincidence that this group often has problems with acne. In most cases, it takes up to 12 weeks of daily supplementation to notice an improvement.

Im not exactly sure what gluconate is but it didnt make any positive impact on my acne when i tried it, which i did a few years ago for about 4 months. Citrate would be an excellent swap to make, but make sure you find out the amount of elemental zinc per a tablet/capsule, as i recently tried zinc citrate by Solgar (30mg per a tablet), which had no information on the amount of elemental zinc in it, which meant that i had to hazarded a guess (taking 14) and had a minor breakout of about three small spots over the three days i experimented with it, which i was surprisingly distressed about even though 2 months ago i would have easily settled for that quality of skin health.

I quickly went back to Bio Cares brand and this cleared things nicley within a day. I ordered two other brands earlier this week to try those and see if i can discover a more economical product. One is called healthspan which has 49mg zinc citrate (no elemental zinc amount noted) with 60mg vit c added in. At about £6 per a bottle of 360 it seems like the best value for money, if it is effective...

I also bought Zinc Citrate from a compnay called G&G with its 50mg of elemental zinc per 50mg capsule. Now thats some pure shit! It is £8.95 per a bottle of 100 but requires i only take 3-4 per a day, so will work out economical if it is effective.

We shall see what happens, but if they both fail i still have trusty bio care.

I should also let you know that i have stopped taking both vitamin c and vitamin e (about 10 days ago) and have noticed no negative consequences, only positives for my wallet.

Don't forget to take the zinc citrate on an empty stomach. I had to correct my brother on that and it made the difference between nearly clear skin but still the occassional z.i.t. and perfection!

I just checked out the link to iherb! They look good, as it says true elemental content, and there bloody cheap. I would order them myself if i didn't have all the delivery costs and import taxes getting it into the uk.

Anyway here are some other rules i abide by to keep my skin perfect, although to be honest as long as i don't take the piss with them i can get away with not being too disciplined.

Not eating too much chocolate/ sweets/ sugary junk food

Not drinking tea or coffee

The following two rules i never break, although i just haven't bothered since discovering zinc citrate as i'm so used to not eating them.

Not eating fatty takeaway burgers etc

Avoiding chips and potatoes (i noticed these two food made me break out within a few hours of eating them 2 years ago)

Just thought this additional information might prove useful to you in your quest.

Regarding why you break out when eating nuts and nut products, it might be because nuts have a large omega-6 fatty acid content (part of the essential fatty acid crew) which can cause acne. Omega 3's and GLA (a special omega-6 type) are the ones you want. I once tried to clear my skin with these two, but found there was too many additional factors, and it was proving too expensive and difficult to do. Im not saying it wont be an effectively cure, or helpful aid but for me it wasnt.

Any more updates? I bought the Solgar brand a few days ago, but then I saw you didn't have good results with it. I took it back to the store but I can't find any other brands of zince citrate. I'm thinking I'm gonna have to order online. I just wanted to see if it's still working for you and you're still seeing improvements. Thanks.

A zinc supplement may help IF you are zinc deficient...if your body has enough zinc already, taking a supplement will most likey not affect your acne. Acne can be a side effect of a zinc deficiency...on the other hand, if you take too much zinc there are side effects as well.

Heres an update on my progress.

I swapped to the G&G brand and have been taking 200mg zinc citrate per day (x2 caps first thing, x2 caps last thing) for about three weeks now. At first it was fantastic until i last week i got a minor breakout. I conducted some research and found certain foods inhibited zinc absorption; fibre containg foods, phosphorus containing foods, wholegrain breads and cereals and bran- these shoul not be taken within 2hrs after taking zinc. I only thing i had changed was the type of bread i was eating as toast for breakfast (Approx 30mins after waking and taking zinc) from white bread (no fibre at least not much) to wholemeal bread (fibre and perhaps closer to being wholegrain than the white as well). Then i swapped back to white bread and my skin cleared up again. Check this link some good knowledge on zinc and foods.

www.bbc.co.uk/health/healthy_living/complimentary_medicine/remedies_minerals.shtml

Im conducting more research into how foods and zinc interact so i can pre-empt any thing like this happening again. But if it does then it should be easy to observe what it was, and eventually it will get to the point where i know exactly what might interfere with zinc absorption and so will not go near it for breakfast.

As for any negative side effects for taking zinc, none to report so far.

Hey someoneinengland! After reading your post on Zinc Citrate, I just wanted to know how your regeime is going? After buying some from my local health shop (no, not H&B as they don't stock it) I have started taking it today, but being a fellow 'Brit' I'd also like to know what brand you have settled on? and where you buy yours from? Hows it going?

Many Thanks :)

G.B

Hi Great Brit!

Yes the regime is still going well. Im glad to hear you have bought some zinc citrate. Dont forget to take it without other supplements or the foods already mentioned. Its best to take on an empty stomach. I did some more research about foods and their interactoin with zinc and have found two more types of food that may depress zinc absorption; oxalic acid type foods (e.g. spinach, sweet potatoes, rhubard and beans) and Phylic acid type foods (e.g. unleavened bread, raw beans, seeds, nuts and grains and soy isolates). More interestingly though i also found some supplements that if taken at the same time as zinc, may increase absorption of zinc; L-cysteine, L-hisidine, L-methionine and N-acetyl-L-cysteine (NAC).

Sourced from:

http://www.pdrhealth.com/drug_info/nmdrugp.../zin_0281.shtml

So theoretically, taking one of these supplements with zinc citrate may reduce the dosage of the zinc needed whilst retaining the results, which might be reassuring for those of you who do not want to take high doses of zinc. In the case of NAC, which is an antioxident, it will provide extra health benefits and im sure the others do also. It may or may not be a more expensive option. I am going to try this soon (NAC with zinc citrate) to see how it goes.

You can get G&G's zinc citrate (the brand i have been using) from this there site:

http://www.gandginfo.com/en/shop/product_i...ate_banner_id=1

There are other online sites that stock there products though.

Again, i hope this information proves useful, especially if you found the zinc citrate to be working, but somewhat unreliably. I will post soon on my observations with the 'zinc enhancing supplement' NAC.

Hey somoneinengland,

Many thanks for your post, I have only just found it! Its great reading. I'm still on the Zinc citrate, and so far I'm amazed that it seems to be providing such positive results!!!!!!! I'll admit I'm not taking quite as much as yourself, I'm currently taking 2x 3 times a day, of which I'll cut back on when I feel confident???!!!

I look forarwd to hearing your update my friend!

So, just remind me, what is your current dosage? and how long have you now been taking it for now?

If this is my miracle cure - I'm amazed!

Many Thanks! :D

Hey, thanks for the info. I am thinking of getting it next time I am at the health store. I am currenty taking:

1. Life Force Multiple

http://www.discount-vitamins-herbs.net/sto...0/more_info.asp

2. Nicomide, which contains:

Nicotinamide, USP 750 mg

Zinc Oxide, USP 25 mg

Cupric Oxide, USP 1.5 mg

Folic Acid, USP 500 mcg

My question is, the multi vitmain contains Zinc (as zinc citrate & monomethionine [OptiZinc®])15 mg 100% DV), and I take this 1-2x per day, even though it says to take 2-4 tablets 3x a day, so am I covered in the Zinc department??