Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kj1982

what does accutane do

i mean i know what what it does , get rid of acne, but my face is really dry already and my lips really, my pores are HUGE and my skin just looks shiny all time even if ive wiped the oil, its horrible.

will accutane get rid of all that or just the spots

please answer me, no one evers seems to answer my questions

i mean i know what what it does , get rid of acne, but my face is really dry already and my lips really, my pores are HUGE and my skin just looks shiny all time even if ive wiped the oil, its horrible.

My understanding is that Accutane shrinks your oil glands so they produce less oil and therefore your pores don't get clogged as much. The result is that your skin and lips dry out and need to be moisturized. I think Accutane is also supposed to open up your pores so they don't get clogged as easily.

That's all I know (or think I know) and I'm no expert!

You can have dry and oily skin at the same time. Dry skin is caused by a lack of water (not sebum) in the skin. Sebum doesn't actually moisturize the skin. The skin's moisture level is maintained by the skin lipids which create a lipid bilayer that prevents water loss. The skin also contains humectants like NaPCA, which draw water out of the air and keep the water in the skin. People with acne tend to have an impaired water barrier function of the skin because of a lack of sphingolipids, specifically ceramides (which can cause abnormal shedding of skin cells), yet their sebaceous glands are overactive. Accutane could further impare the water barrier function hence the dry skin and chapped lips, but it's not really sebum that moisturizes the skin (it is what keeps the hair soft and shiny so Accutane will dry out hair a bit).

Acctuane shrinks the sebaceous glands, reducing oil production which reduces bacteria counts (since that's their food source). It also prevents the abnormal shedding and agglomeration of skin cells inside the follicle, which clears the pathway for sebum to reach the surface of the skin. After treatment is finished, the sebum is usually able reach to the surface of the skin without getting trapped in the follicle (for a while at least). It's also said to have a mild anti-inflammatory effect. Scientists still don't know excatly why it works, but thy think it alters DNA transctiption and forces the skin cells to shed normally......

It also prevents the abnormal shedding and agglomeration of skin cells inside the follicle, which clears the pathway for sebum to reach the surface of the skin.

Just to elaborate, Accutane prevents this abnormal shedding by regulating fast dividing cells, as LabGirl noted, the exact mechanism is unknown. But this is also what causes the birth defects (the fast division of cells in the fetus is altered) and the slowed healing response.

But what if your lipid levels in the blood read as normal (blood test after Accutane) but your skin is still noticeably drier?