Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Yes, that's right! It doesn't seem right to have to fight gray hair, wrinkles, and pimples at the same time.

My history: 47, male, moderate to light acne since college. Not bad in my 20's and 30's but I've had more problems with cystic stuff on my nose, face, and chin since I turned 40. It's gotten so annoying after trying many oral and topical prescriptions with limited to no success, that my derm told me to try Accutane.

I have VERY oily skin and the thought of drying out sounds so appealing!

During my first week, I've broken out in small to normal size pimples on my jaw and chin worse than anything I've had since my 20's. I have about 12 of them now and they seem to be subsiding (haven't had a new one today - wow!). Fortunately, I can just let my beard grow out until they go away.

Has anyone had such a quick breakout on Accutane? This started on my second day!

Other than that, I haven't had any other effects. My skin is still oily. In fact it seems MORE OILY than before.

When can I expect to start drying out? I'm on 40mg/day now and I am 6'0 and 190 lbs.

Not much more to say now.

Yes, that's right! It doesn't seem right to have to fight gray hair, wrinkles, and pimples at the same time.

My history: 47, male, moderate to light acne since college. Not bad in my 20's and 30's but I've had more problems with cystic stuff on my nose, face, and chin since I turned 40. It's gotten so annoying after trying many oral and topical prescriptions with limited to no success, that my derm told me to try Accutane.

During my first week, I've broken out in small to normal size pimples on my jaw and chin worse than anything I've had since my 20's. I have about 12 of them now and they seem to be subsiding (haven't had a new one today - wow!). Fortunately, I can just let my beard grow out until they go away.

Has anyone had such a quick breakout on Accutane? This started on my second day!

Other than that, I haven't had any other effects. My skin is still oily. In fact it seems MORE OILY than before.

When can I expect to start drying out? I'm on 40mg/day now and I am 6'0 and 190 lbs.

Hey there, I'm in my first week on Accutane too and also on 40mg a day -- I'm 5'6" and 135lbs. I'm not drying out yet either. From what I've read and heard, most people seem to start to get dry after the first week. Although, I did hear a few people say they got dry right away. Who knows....I guess we'll both just have to wait and see when the fun will start. A breakout is a bummer, but at least it's over early AND you can hide it with your beard! No breakout for me yet, but I do feel a little joint pain and some muscle tightness. Anyway, not sure if any of this was helpful, but hopefully it was a little comforting. Good Luck!

Hello,

A quick breakout is very normal. There is nothing to worry about. Secondly, you should know that accutane is given to many many people in your age group. This is a very common thing. It's even given to people in their seventies and eighties who have severe rosacea. So, do not feel like the odd one out. Skin problems are not only becoming more and more common, they are occurring much more in older people, more so than ever before. So, people can go through their 20s, 30s even 40s with no skin issues and then they get them.

Keep smiling, I think you'll be happy with your future results :)

GO ;)

Hello,

A quick breakout is very normal. There is nothing to worry about. Secondly, you should know that accutane is given to many many people in your age group. This is a very common thing. It's even given to people in their seventies and eighties who have severe rosacea. So, do not feel like the odd one out. Skin problems are not only becoming more and more common, they are occurring much more in older people, more so than ever before. So, people can go through their 20s, 30s even 40s with no skin issues and then they get them.

Keep smiling, I think you'll be happy with your future results :)

GO ;)

GO: thanks so much for the encouraging words. It means a lot to me as this can get discouraging. Do you (or does anyone else) know how long these flare-ups normally last? Mine's been going a week now and it may be slowing down, but I have three new ones popping up today, so it is by no means over.

It seems to me that one thing you can count on is that there are no rules in this game. Everyone is so different, so you can't really know what to expect. Makes it hard on us "worry-warts!"