Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fiveAM

some of you might remember me

i am going to keep this initial post brief, but i wanted to follow up with a message that i posted quite some time ago.

some of you might remember my post concerning my long battle with acne- most notably the search for a natural solution via diet. last i had written i was seeing positive results and hoped to eventually be 100% clear.

well, after a year of serious restriction and dramatic lifestyle changes, my skin was still atrocious. perhaps 45% less atrocious, but still nowhere within the "normal range."

i realized that for me at least, diet effects acne only to the extent that diet effects a persons entire well being. as i improved my health, my acne did lesson. however, although it might be possible to completely recover from acne by geacheiving perfect physical health, in the end i simply wasnt willing to sacrifice so many aspects of my lifestyle. it is nearly impossible to give your body everything it needs naturally when we live in a world of our own creation- a world of artifice. i am a 22 year old woman who is simply not happy eating mostly raw fruits and vegetables. i do not want to constantly think of every single variable of my existance in terms of how it will effect my skin.

seriously, guys- it was taking over my life- and trust me, life is about a lot more then pimples! no matter what i did, i was always thinking abouit whether or not it would have an adverse effect on my complexion. i really just dont want to live that way. not to mention that after a year, my results were less then desirable- and i didnt cheat! ever! i was determined, stubborn and rigid in every regard.

so now ive been following the regimen (i was convinced that it wouldnt work for me. CONVINCED- ha.) and my skin has cleared 5 times as much in the past month then it did in the previous year. i still maintain a very healthy lifestyle- which has certainly transformed my skin from oil-slick chic to a silky suede matte, my once brittle nails are long and hard and my hair is silky and strong- but if i feel like getting a piece of pizza with my friends, though- hell, i go ahead and do it. i dont drink like a fiend (anymore... ha) but if i want to have a beer when i go out, i do it. i dont restrict myself based on concern for my skin. and you know what? i look great, feel great, and am happy. putting white goo on my face twice a day is a small price to pay. because when it came right down to it, all i really wanted was to have clear skin and to be happy. bp isnt really natural... but what is, nowadays? treat your body with respect and it will return the favor, but good health only goes so far. certain sacrifices arent worth it, and state of mind is the last thing you want to sacrifice.

so i suppose this post is a bit of friendly advice for the new year- dont torture yourself trying to change your lifestyle for your skin. if youve found a solution that works for you and you are content with it, great! but if youve been obsessively monitoring your diet and personal habits for months with little results, perhaps its time to try a more direct approach. acne really, truly is only skin deep, and there is a skin-deep solution that is worth your time.

good luck, everyone.

certain sacrifices arent worth it, and state of mind is the last thing you want to sacrifice.

i agree with this sentiment completely.

i am curious: what diet/lifestyle were you following? what diet/lifestyle do you practice now? i want nice hair, skin and nails! ("nice skin" meaning a healthy complexion, not necessarily acne-free.) i'd also like some advice for good health, advice that isn't "no refined carbs no diary no sugar" because that is "no fun."

congrats on your clear skin and your healthy lifestyle! i hope your new year is even better!

i am going to keep this initial post brief, but i wanted to follow up with a message that i posted quite some time ago.

some of you might remember my post concerning my long battle with acne- most notably the search for a natural solution via diet. last i had written i was seeing positive results and hoped to eventually be 100% clear.

well, after a year of serious restriction and dramatic lifestyle changes, my skin was still atrocious. perhaps 45% less atrocious, but still nowhere within the "normal range."

i realized that for me at least, diet effects acne only to the extent that diet effects a persons entire well being. as i improved my health, my acne did lesson. however, although it might be possible to completely recover from acne by geacheiving perfect physical health, in the end i simply wasnt willing to sacrifice so many aspects of my lifestyle. it is nearly impossible to give your body everything it needs naturally when we live in a world of our own creation- a world of artifice. i am a 22 year old woman who is simply not happy eating mostly raw fruits and vegetables. i do not want to constantly think of every single variable of my existance in terms of how it will effect my skin.

seriously, guys- it was taking over my life- and trust me, life is about a lot more then pimples! no matter what i did, i was always thinking abouit whether or not it would have an adverse effect on my complexion. i really just dont want to live that way. not to mention that after a year, my results were less then desirable- and i didnt cheat! ever! i was determined, stubborn and rigid in every regard.

so now ive been following the regimen (i was convinced that it wouldnt work for me. CONVINCED- ha.) and my skin has cleared 5 times as much in the past month then it did in the previous year. i still maintain a very healthy lifestyle- which has certainly transformed my skin from oil-slick chic to a silky suede matte, my once brittle nails are long and hard and my hair is silky and strong- but if i feel like getting a piece of pizza with my friends, though- hell, i go ahead and do it. i dont drink like a fiend (anymore... ha) but if i want to have a beer when i go out, i do it. i dont restrict myself based on concern for my skin. and you know what? i look great, feel great, and am happy. putting white goo on my face twice a day is a small price to pay. because when it came right down to it, all i really wanted was to have clear skin and to be happy. bp isnt really natural... but what is, nowadays? treat your body with respect and it will return the favor, but good health only goes so far. certain sacrifices arent worth it, and state of mind is the last thing you want to sacrifice.

so i suppose this post is a bit of friendly advice for the new year- dont torture yourself trying to change your lifestyle for your skin. if youve found a solution that works for you and you are content with it, great! but if youve been obsessively monitoring your diet and personal habits for months with little results, perhaps its time to try a more direct approach. acne really, truly is only skin deep, and there is a skin-deep solution that is worth your time.

good luck, everyone.

One BIG thing. If you eat an incorrect diet (yes, in my opinion), then the results will NOT manifest in a positive manner. I eat meat and lots of it (along with some cod liver oil). I've finally cleared my skin utilizing this regimen. Not eating fat red meat is a mistake. I'm not here to get into a pissing match with vegans, but the truth is that raw fruits and veggies DO NOT provide adequate building blocks necessary for optimal health OR for clear skin. I achieved healthy skin by following a hard core paleo style diet. I don't even bother consuming fruits or vegetables any more. Just meat and lots of it. If you can afford to consume lots of fresh fish, then go for it, however, most of it is contaminated. Again, please don't go off on me about all the vegan crap or how I will get multiple diseases from eating this way. I have tried the vegan diet along with every other diet and none, NONE, helped with my skin. Only made it worse. UNTIL, I started eating fresh fat meat. So, this is a different (albeit, more correct (in my opinion)) style of eating than the vegetarian style which usually results in suboptimal results. Just food for thought.

BTW, check out this link:

http://www.ctds.info/acne-diets.html

i think there are a lot of ways to get healthy. many people have different needs, and different diets will work for different people. despite this, certain basic principals apply to everyone- for example i think we can all agree that processed food is not good for anyone.

i wasnt trying to push an all raw, all vegan diet on anyone. its just one of the things that i tried. i didnt go into all of the details because i figured people wouldnt want to read them. i apologize for being unclear- i mentioned the all raw diet just as an example of how i was restricting myself (it certainly was the most difficult to follow). for a while i was eating nothing but green veggies, for another period of time i was eating veggies, fish and healthy oils. the diet i spent the longest amount of time on was probably a version of the raw paleo diet. i grew up on a low carb, high protein diet becasue my mother is hypoglycemic and she controls her blood sugar that way.

what i eat now is mostly veggies, some fruits, and fish or liver (organic if i can afford it but we know how that goes). as far as supplements go i take a complete efa (not religiously but its good because i cant always afford to eat all the fats i need), a good whole foods multivitamin (the other kind makes me nauseous, unfortunately) and maybe zinc or msm once a week or something. in general i dont go overboard with the supplements because theyre expensive and unnecessary. i eat a lot of carrots, and never cook with unhealthy oils. however, like i mentioned before, if i feel like eating something i do. (like pizza, pasta, garlic bread, bagels, chocolate, ice cream, wine). i could never afford to eat a large quantity of meat (im an americorp member right now and am trying to live off of less then 5 dollars an hour) but im glad youve found a lot of success with it. liver is an animal product i like that is very cheap. i do hate supporting an industry that is responsible for so much economic damage, waste and animal cruelty, and buy organic when i can.

for me, being healthy just wasnt enough to clear my skin, but it certainly did help. eating healthy oils (efas)and getting enough vitamin a and e were especially helpful. my skin isnt oily and it heals so quickly. when i started the regimen it cleared so quickly i couldnt believe it. i attribute this to my change in diet and lifestyle. perhaps if i stuck with it for many many years i would eventually be clear. in the meantime, however, im controlling my symptoms with bp. it just wasnt work it for me to walk around with a screwed up face because i morally objected to slapping stuff onto my skin. i also dont have to go through the stress of constantly worrying about what im doing and eating and how it effects my skin. i dont even THINK about my skin anymore. i just carry around a small tube of bp and a small tube of moisturizing sunscreen in my purse and dont think twice about spending the night at someones house or eating a slice of pizza with a friend or having a drink with a good looking boy.

in conclusion, im really happy that you were able to get your acne under control with diet, and that you are happy doing so. (youre probably also super thin and fit by now, hmm???) my point was just that for people like me, who were struggling for a very long time with diet- miserable and still breaking out- that its ok to use bp if it clears your skin and makes you happy. its not going to poison you or affect your general health. stressing out and obsessing about eating healthy is actually not healthy at all.

anyway- have a happy new year!

certain sacrifices arent worth it, and state of mind is the last thing you want to sacrifice.

i agree with this sentiment completely.

i am curious: what diet/lifestyle were you following? what diet/lifestyle do you practice now? i want nice hair, skin and nails! ("nice skin" meaning a healthy complexion, not necessarily acne-free.) i'd also like some advice for good health, advice that isn't "no refined carbs no diary no sugar" because that is "no fun."

congrats on your clear skin and your healthy lifestyle! i hope your new year is even better!

hey igotmyphilosophy! i remember you!

the way i keep healthy AND happy AND clear is easy. i spent so much time learnng about nutrition that i had a lot of information to fall back on once i decided to relax about everyhting and start living my life like a healthy 22 year old, rather then a 97 year old woman. my advice would be to learn about basic health principals, and always keep them in the back of your mind without forming rigid rules for yourself or obsessing. having said that, i realize that learning about health can be really overwhelming, because there is so much information out there- a lot of psuedo science and a lot of seemingly contradictory information. not only that but the old cliche is true- we are all different. genetics play a role in how we process everything, from sunlight to food, and things like gender can influence our dietary needs as well. i also want to say that science does not have to be in opposition to nature- in fact the 2 really should be (and theoretically always have been) joined together. science is simply an attempt to organize and make sense of the universe around us. although doctors can be arrogant, inconsiderate jerks, they are just people and chances are they are not evil and do have your best interest in mind, even though they may occasionally make mistakes or be misinformed about your condition. so if you have a medical condition (like diabetes or hypoglycemia or high blood pressure) do listen to your doctor. i firmly believe that it is wonderful (and best) to do things for yourself, but do excersise caution where and when it is needed. im not suggesting that you throw caution to the wind! just that from what ive read on these boards and what ive experienced myself, its easy to get obsessive and unhealthy about being healthy.

i think we start to believe that acne is a manifestation of something else that is wrong with us- we ve all heard that "if youre healthy on the inside, youll be beautiful on the outside" expression- and that our acne is a result of our bad choices and habits. i personally was really down on myself for eating so much fast food for so many years, for drinking in excess, for not sleeping enough at night, for depending on caffeine, etc. i realized that its much better to celebrate my new positive attitude and to treat my body with respect rather then to continue punishing myself for choices i made in the past. wow- im rambling!- all that being said, here are some very simple principals you can keep in the back of your mind, as well as my advice on how to follow them in a way that is effective yet not obsessive or rigid.

the most important things:

-processed foods are bad- period. they are also expensive, making it easier to avoid them. some processed foods are worse then others, however, and those that contain trans fats/hydrogenated oils/partially hydrogenated oils are particularly bad.

-certain oils are good and certain oils are bad. the best oils to cook with are olive oil and coconut oil. they can be expensive, but i think theyre worth it. oh- and dont fry oils over and over. it seems wasteful, but disgard oil after frying in it once.

-efas are important. these are amino acids found in things like olive oil fish and avocados. i dont buy avocados anymroe because they are expensive. i get my efas from olive oil and fish. its not necessary to spend a ton of money on supplements. i do have a complete efa supplement in a bottle in the fridge, but i do NOT take it regularly. i take it if ive been eating badly for a while, or if my roomates or sick, or if i just feel like it. your hair and nails will be lovely if you get enough efas. really- i promise.

-vegetables and fruits are good for you.

-water is good for you. drink a lot of it.

thats it. really. no, really. those are the 5 most important things i keep in mind, day by day, meal by meal. if you eat healthy oils and veggies and stay away from processed foods, youre already more healthy then a majority of the country. what else, you ask? you say you wnat to do more? well here is a little bit more information that you can do what you like with.

-green stuff is good. why? it has a basic ph. what does that mean? bacteria and other microorganisms that dont belong in your body cannot survive in a very basic environment. that is how benzoyl peroxide works on acne- we call it a base because it contains the OH- molecule, and the bacteria cannot survive in the presence of oxygen. it is, however, unneccessary to spend a lot of money on algae, supplements, etc.

-raw vegetables like carrots are great because they contain beta carotene, a building block of vitamin a. i eat carrots all day long while at work- simply because they are a healthy, cheap thing that i like to eat. if you dont like them you dont have to force yourself to eat them. cooked veggies like yams are also good for the vitamin a thing.

-raw fruits are good, provided you dont have a blood sugar problem. i dont care what anyone says, fruit is not bad for you. it is easy to digest and contains a lot of vitamins and tastes great. sugar? yes. but most people can handle it.

-its good to have good digestion. its nice when your body doesnt have to work extra hard to digest what you eat. raw things are easy to digest, but only raw things that we are meant to eat, like bananas or carrots. things like peppers or other members of the nightshade family aggravate some people.

-organic animal products really are better for you then others. more then that, i cringe to think of the conditions many slaughterhouses keep their animals in. that being said, its not a huge deal.

-unfortunately, cows milk is not good for you. it just isnt. i do not go through great pains to avoid it, however. i dont consider it a staple of my diet, and i dont really buy it anymore, but i do like cheese and sometimes i dump cream in my coffee. if i do buy it, i buy organic, when i can afford it of course. i also love ice cream, i dont care what anyone says. coconut sorbet, however, is cheaper and- i think- better then icecream, and ill choose that if given the option.

-wheat products are not such a good thing for a lot of people. gluten isnt so easy to digest for anyone. as far as starches go, i mostly eat brown rice and potatoes. that being said, i do not take any pains to avoid bread. i just dont really go out of my way to buy it, either. if i feel like eating it, or if someone offers it to me, i ll eat it. but i mean, hey- who doesnt like pasta? or bagels? or bagels with cream cheese... ha.

- raw egg yolks are extremely rich in vitamins and healthy cholesterol. you may cringe at the thought of this, and thats fine. you dont HAVE to eat them. i dont really eat them regularly. however, im an americorps member right now and am on a very strict budget, and if i worry about the balance of my diet ill mix one into my tuna fish or something. people dump them into smoothies or orange juice, and theyre an easy, cheap way to get b vitamins and cholesterol.

-the one supplement i always keep in my fridge is a good probiotic. primal defense gets a lot of press for being the best- and it very well might be- but there are other, cheaper options that work well enough. i take one or 2 a day when im home. if i spend the night at a friends house i dont worry about it. seriously, though- i havent been sick since i started taking them- not when my whole family was sick, not when my roomates were sick, not when i was utoring sick people and teaching classrooms of sick children. probiotics are basically healthy bacteria that are found in your intestine. they provide a wide range of functions, and are essential for keeping your body in balance. theoretically, if you ate and lived very well you would have absolutely no need for them. if you followed the ph diet, for example, unhealthy bacteria could not survive in your balanced body, and there would be no point. i, however, like to go out to the bar with my friends, i like to eat ice cream, and sometimes i like to stay up late. so, hey- i think its worth it to spend the money on that.

-other supplements can be ok but just arent necessary. as i mentioned in another post, i occasionally will take zinc or msm, but its really just becasue i still have the bottles left over from earlier in the year. mutivitamins are good, but look for one with low iodine. i go easy on the mutivitamin, because i eat a pretty balanced diet and the only one that doesnt make me vomit is pretty expensive. also dont buy a fancy multivitamin with a whole lot of herbs in it- there are a lot of herbs you dont want to be taking on a regular basis for long periods of time.

-iodine really does effect acne. no need to freak out about it, but i buy non-iodized salt. no need to get fancy, but you can get sea salt if you want. i buy the regular old cheap kind without the iodine, but of course you can choose what you like.

-overeating is bad. its just not good for any part of your body, and it triggers a hormone flux that can contribute to acne specifically. that being said, i am female and overeat at least once a month, the bp gel allows me that freedom. i do, however, try not to pig out on a daily basis. this isnt really that hard, although i love love love to eat. i just sortuv stop when im full, rather then ploughing ahead as i used to. this is a given for a lot of people, but i guess i was kinduv a pig before... haha.

-drinking, smoking and doing drugs is bad. yes, yes, i know. but we have to accept the reality that these things are not nice chemicals to put in our bodies. this includes caffeine. again- moderation. its just not good to get wasted every night. hopefully you wouldnt be doing that anyway, as it would create problems a lot more serious then having troubled skin. but seriously, its not good to poison your body over and over and over again on a regular basis. that being said, i like to go out occasionally and plan on doing so for new years.

-walking is good for you. moving is good for you. sitting in your car, then in your office, then in your chair in front of the tv or at your desk in front of the computer screen is not good for you. i dont go to the gym, i dont go running, but i do walk a lot. even just shopping, going out, walking on the street with friends- thats good! i live in new york city, though, so its easy for me to walk everywhere.

ok, so by now youre probably thinking "i thought you said this was simple!" it is, really. most of it is common sense. these are not rules, just principals. i basically keep the knowledge ive obtained from extensive research and use it to make positive choices. given the choice between, lets say, pasta and rice ill usually choose the rice. or coconut sorbet and ice cream ill choose the sorbet. or between salad and fried chicken ill choose the salad. sometimes i have coffee if i feel like it but i drink uncaffeinated tea on a regular basis. if my friends offer me fast food and i feel like eating it, i will, but i dont spend my own money on it. if there is free processed food in the office and it looks appetizing, ill almost always eat it, but i dont buy it or keep it in the house. its really just a matter of choosing the best option, most of the time. i hope im being clear about this- please let me know if im not.

another thing that keeps me very healthy is the fact that im on a strict budget and cook most of my meals myself. i personally think this is a good way to live anyway, budget or not, but to each his own. there are certainly healthy ways to eat out. when i cook my own food, i almost always use healthy ingredients. good oils, veggies, brown rice. it seems so simple but it makes a big difference.

i hope this wasnt really confusing! basically you want to keep healthy things in mind, without letting them run your life. honestly, though, as far as my skn is concerned, nothing has been as effective as the regimen- period.

i hope i answered your question!

thank you thank you thank you! that is such EXCELLENT AND BALANCED advice!

i am really trying to motivate myself to eat better, and i've been harassing a few people on the boards for advice, and all of it has been useful. i think i'll print out your post though, because it is a great summary.

i have just a few questions about some specific foods:

- about gluten/grains: are there any healthier wheat/gluten grains that you do eat, like white rice, or quinoa? (i know you eat brown rice.) i like all of these food items, and would like to incorporate them into my diet on a more regular basis, but i'm just interested in your opinion on them.

- about processed foods: what is considered processed? i know refined sugar, refined carbohydrates, fast food, etc. etc. is, but is rice and quinoa considered processed? is flour processed?

- about diary: you said that cows milk is bad for you, but that you eat cheese. are cheese and yogurt better since they have been curdled/fermented and therefore are easier to digest? either way, i can do without milk as it's a little gross to me, but i love cheese and yogurt and would like to eat them forever and ever, amen.

i am on accutane now; i tried to fix my acne by eating better over the summer, and doing an apple fast/flush, but eating strictly was socially challenging, and, i don't know, it was depressing to think about my acne 24/7. i tried topical methods, but my skin reacted badly to them, and has been pink and inflamed for like a year now, although it has gotten better the less i harass it with washes/scrubs/masks etc.

i have ALOT of left over supplements that i need to take, lest they go to waste. i have primal defense since the summer, but i don't know if it would have gone bad by now or what... i'll check their website. the only supplements i plan on taking now during my accutane treatment is fish oil, msm, vitamin e, c, and b-complex (no multi-vitamin b/c i'd like to avoid excess vitamin a). this is *kind of* alot, but i'd rather just finish them up. they shouldn't do any harm, b/c vitamin c and b-complex are water soluble, and i'd save the money...

anyways, thanks again for your advice. i am so happy for you!

i am so glad that what i said was helpful to you! if you have any other further questions, please ask!

i have just a few questions about some specific foods:

-gluten is almost excusively in wheat products. quinoa and white rice do not have gluten in them. white rice is a processed version of brown rice, so while it is not necessarily "bad," brown rice is better. there really is no harm in eating either of thsoe things regularly in terms of digestion. if you have an issues with your blood sugar, white rice might be something you should avoid eating it in massive quantities because it could cause peaks and dips (being a refined carbohydrate). i also do eat wheat products occasionally, just not on a regular basis. again, not all people necessarily have problems with gluten- i dont get sick from eating it or antyhing- but i have noticed that i feel better when i dont eat very much of it. wheat has been linked to a variety of disorders, including bipolar disorder, but the extent to which you want to include it in your diet is up to you.

-the more processed something is, the worse it is for you. processed basically means altered in any way, usually with the intention of enhancing shelf life or color, etc. most flour is processed- bleached and such. you can buy whole wheat flour but i personally dont bother. if i want to bake cookies or something i use regular flour- i just dont eat cookies every day. flour also comes from wheat, which is difficult to digest for a lot of people.

- unfortunately cows milk is very bad for you, for so many reasons. cheese and yogurt are easier to digest, yes, but they have other problems. both contain all the hormones and such that milk contains- cheese actually has them in a higher concentration. that being said, i personally am not willing to cut them out. i eat ice cream a few times a month and i do eat cheese when its around. i try not to eat it with every meal, but i dont let it worry me. but technically- i am sorry to say- cheese and yogurt arent reall y good for you, if i had to list them in order of worst to best i would probably say milk, cheese, yogurt.

how is accutane working for you??? i also found it inbearable to think about my acne constantly. who wants to let their life revolve around pimples? i mean geez, we say that appearance is only skin deep, but how healthy is it for us to be sacrificing so many things just to look better? i dunno, it didnt sit right with me in the end.

topicals never worked for me until i followed the regimen down to the letter. my skin is extremely pale (im a redhead) and never tolerated any sort of irritation. this also caused my skin problems to be more noticeable then ever- every pimple was practically a little neon sign on my face. i was a pretty unhealthy person when i tried topicals, and always quit them before i observed any noticeable effect. after getting healthy for about a year i tried the topicals again and the results were amazing! i can actually see a difference in my skin each day! i now believe that if i had given them time, the bp would have worked even with my body being in the terrible state it was in, but that it would have taken a considerably longer period of time. im so hapy that i stopped being so rigid and stubborn and gave the bp gel a second chance!

anyway...

vitamin supplements certainly dont do any harm! go ahead and use them if you have them! my point was just that they are expensive and not necessary for good health. im sure the probiotic is still good, but go ahead and check the website. if youre going to keep buying any supplements, like i said before- stick with the probiotic and the efas (fish oil).

part of being healthy is being happy- enjoy yourself, love your boy. dont think of health as a terrible burden, think of it as something you live everyday.

id love toi hear updates on your accutane progress, and wish you lots of luck!

Nutrition is an important step to good health. Veganism is not nutritious. Neither is the average american meat laden diet. But there is a healthy middle-ground. But no one likes the middle ground because compromise isn't good debate, and everyone loves argueing. Still I love making fun of vegans. Because a guy eating at mcdonalds wont try to argue how healthy he is. He'll just point out that he might kill a vegan if he sat on them. (A funny, and oftentimes true assertion.) An eighty pound Vegan will go on for hours about how wonderful and healthy their diet is. Until you slap them and their cheekbone shatters piercing their cheek and they die from the blood loss before they are able to clot.