Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
amandakay_6

Fish Oil? Hmmmmm.....

I have a few questions...1) Does it really help acne/oil production? 2) Does it taste bad? 3) Where can I find it? 4) What is the best brand to take if I'm interested? 5) What's the best dosage to take?

I have a few questions...1) Does it really help acne/oil production? It might...depends on the person. For me, if I don't take it, I have very dry lips and dry skin

2) Does it taste bad? Yes, cherry flavored is the best-tasting. Just hold your breath and chase it with juice or emergen C

3) Where can I find it?

health food store

4) What is the best brand to take if I'm interested? Twinlabs is cheap and good according to my naturopath

5) What's the best dosage to take? 2 tsp/day...1 in the am, 1 in the pm

I have a few questions...1) Does it really help acne/oil production? 2) Does it taste bad? 3) Where can I find it? 4) What is the best brand to take if I'm interested? 5) What's the best dosage to take?

1. Yes it does. Omega 3, 6, 9's are needed for good hormonal balance and if you can get good hormonal balance then you are on the road to clear skin. If you take omega 6 for example just on its own then it will upset hormonal balance because you need a balance to produce the prostagladins, which are like hormone stabliziers.

2. Yes

3. I have been recommended to use the Total EFA's which contain all 3 omega's and is organic. If you are in the UK, visit charlottenautrals.com or if you are abroad try mothernature.com

4. Total EFA's from health from the sun. Best getting the liquid veg forumla. although like i said it tastes really bad to me (others are ok - depends on your tastebuds). If it is really bad tasting to you then get the caps

5. Dosage varies from person to person becausee we are all diffreernt have have different hormones. Start at 1 - 2tablespoons (15ml) then work from there by decreasing or increasing and to increase the absorption of the EFA's because pretty useless if you are wasting money buying them and the body isn't absorbing them eat with sulfur-rich veg

Hope this helps you!

I tried taking Total EFA oil, which contains omega 3, 6, and 9. But I had a really bad breakout when I took it. I understand that balancing these omega's help hormone regulation. But I think if you are a person that loves foods rich in omega 6, or 9, that taking extra supplements which contain enough omega 6 and 9 may throw it out of balance even more. I think if you know how much, and what type of omega you intake, you should try adding the omega that you don't get. For example, I eat lots of pasta and rice, along with foods that contain corn and sunflower oil. I am taking in lots of omega 6, but hardly omega 3. So I take omega 3 everyday to balance things out. It doesn't seem to do much though.

I have a few questions...1) Does it really help acne/oil production?

Dunno. I suppose it's possible that it might help acne in some way, shape, or fashion. I generally take anecdotes about supplements with a grain or two of salt, and I don't know if this issue has ever been tested in a scientific manner. However, there are enough good reasons to take such a supplement for general health purposes, and who knows, it _might_ even help your acne! ;)

2) Does it taste bad?

Yep. Many people gag at the mere thought of it, but I personally don't find it particularly objectionable. I guess you could say that it's an acquired taste! :D I've used it, off and on, for many many years.

3) Where can I find it?

At any decent health-food store.

4) What is the best brand to take if I'm interested?

Like another poster in this thread, I recommend the cod liver oil sold by TwinLab. They make a cherry-flavored version, but oddly enough, I do NOT recommend trying to mask the flavor of fish oil with something else. It'll just make you sick when you think of that OTHER flavor, if you get my drift! :) I suggest that you do like I did long ago: just bite the bullet and gradually acclimate yourself to the taste of the real thing...PURE cod liver oil. In all seriousness, I can now take a swig right out of the bottle, and I don't even pay any attention to the taste anymore.

By the way, the DHA and EPA in fish oil are the most highly-unsaturated fatty acids in existence. When you first open a new bottle, I highly recommend that you add some extra antioxidants to it to help slow down any further oxidation. Around 250-500 mg of BHT added to a 12-ounce bottle should be fine, and perhaps 500 mg or so of ascorbyl palmitate (there are various places those can be obtained). And keep the bottle in the fridge after you open it!! YOU CAN'T BE TOO CAREFUL ABOUT THIS. Oxidized fats are very dangerous.

Bryan