Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kj1982

i have paid to go private

hi all. ive been on a waiting list for the derm and it was going to be another 3 months to wait. so im paying £150 and i am going private. i just cant wait anymore. my acne was mild when i was waiting and now it servere.

do you think that the derm will prescribe accutane if i ask? i dont want to waste time with all those other things that dont work. i just want accutane. i feel its the only thing that is going to help.

anybody else had similar experience. have any tips on how to get the derm to give it to me?

Going private will not get you tane any quicker the derm still has to go through all the alternatives first (if your gp has not already done so)

If I were you I'd hang on to go privat until your gp has taken you trough everything else, otherwise you'l be paying through the nose for something you could get for free.

Going private will not get you tane any quicker the derm still has to go through all the alternatives first (if your gp has not already done so)

Correct, just because you are paying doesn't mean you can specify any medication you want, the derm. still has to follow the same guidelines he would on the NHS.

If you do indeed have severe acne (in the derms opinion) you should eventually be offered Accutane.

i assume you are both from the uk. my doc will not prescribe anything else for me, ive been through most pills and topical creams, none have made any difference at all. thats why he has referred me to the derm. but i had to wait 4-6 moths. so im paying £100 and thats it, i will not pay again, he will see me on nhs once ive had my first consultation. i just thought that maybe he would prescribe accutane cos i pretty much done everything else. in my eyes my acne is severe but most people tell me its moderate. i know there are people worse than me but i have seen others in uk who get accutane for mild acne

so im paying £100 and thats it, i will not pay again, he will see me on nhs

That's what happened in my case, once he decided to prescribe Accutane I went back to the NHS for it.

IMO if you've tried everything else and not responded you stand a good chance of getting it.

The first time I saw a derm on the NHS, he wanted to prescribe roaccutane to me straight away. I said no though as my acne seemed as though it had disappeared in between making the appointment and attending it. Then, as luck would have it, I started breaking out about 3 weeks later! I couldnt wait another 3/4 months so I went private and got seen within 2 weeks, but the private derm wouldnt put me on the tane straight away. I had to try differin and a coupla courses of antibiotics. It took 3 visits to a private derm before I was given a prescription for the 'tane and even then I didn't get to go on it because of my liver!!!!!!